Old August 25th 10, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Oyster question, please

I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't stumbled
across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can provide the
real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than one person's fare
per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago Card Plus can be swiped up
to six times in a row to admit up to six folks at a time. Thanks.

Rich

Old August 25th 10, 10:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article 2Ygdo.18922$S_1.9205@hurricane, (Roy
Badami) wrote:

On 25/08/10 23:18, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
18:05:16
on Wed, 25 Aug 2010,
remarked:
I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't
stumbled across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can
provide the real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than
one person's fare per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago
Card Plus can be swiped up to six times in a row to admit up to six
folks at a time.

Not for simultaneous rides (because of the daily capping if nothing
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Roland is right; you can't do that. Apart from the fact that the
gates won't let you, each passenger must hold either a ticket for
their journey or a validated Oyster card. Failure to do that would
leave you open to prosecution

You can indeed share Oyster cards provided they only have Pay As
You Go on them. (You can't share Oyster cards which have period
Travelcards or other such products loaded onto them, though.) But
multiple simultaneous passengers requires multiple Oyster cards (or
paper tickets).

Presumably you also have to actually hold the railcard registered to an
Oyster card as well?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 25th 10, 11:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Roy Badami" wrote in message
[...]

-roy

Much appreciated. Thank you. I was/am trying to come up with an answer
that won't leave me with 4 Oyster cards with a balance on them. Two I don't
mind as wife & I frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. For this particular
trip, I would normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6
(all 6 zones out of necessity).

Old August 26th 10, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:48:30 -0400, wrote:

Much appreciated. Thank you. I was/am trying to come up with an answer
that won't leave me with 4 Oyster cards with a balance on them. Two I don't
mind as wife & I frequent London 2 or 3 times a year. For this particular
trip, I would normally have bought four 3-Day travelcards good for zones 1-6
(all 6 zones out of necessity).

Given that (I think) a 3-day Travelcard was just priced at three times
a One Day Travelcard, and you can still buy the latter on paper, you
could just buy three of those each.

Failing that, cash the Oyster cards in at the end and get a refund of
the deposit and balance.

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old August 26th 10, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:05:16 -0400
wrote:
I have searched tfl's website to no avail, or at least I haven't stumbled
across the answer I seek so I now turn to the people who can provide the
real answers. Can an Oyster card be used to pay more than one person's fare
per ride? Example, here in Chicago, the Chicago Card Plus can be swiped up
to six times in a row to admit up to six folks at a time. Thanks.

For whatever moronic reason we don't have flat fares in London so you
have to swipe in and out which means its limited to one person per journey.

B2003

Old August 26th 10, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 23:18:49 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
else). But they can legitimately be used for consecutive rides by
different people, iirc.

Probably only because theres no way to prevent it. Though LU did insist on
old paper travelcards that they were non transferable. Why they bothered I
have no idea. Perhaps something to do with selling to touts.

B2003