Old August 28th 10, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Live Running Information

Is there much chance that the TfL "live departure board" information
will at some point be improved to lessen the incidence of specific
displays defaulting to nondescript destinations such as "Unknown",
"District Line", "Special", "Awaiting confirmation" etc.? I realise
that there will be some occasions where at a given time the
destination of a given train might be indeterminate but not to the
extent that the boards would sometimes have us believe. On other
occasions the destination display can go to the opposite extreme of
depicting locations in terms of the "road number" of the particular
sidings in which the train will berth following its last set-down
point. A happy medium would be a preferred option.

--
gordon

Old August 28th 10, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 28, 7:11*pm, " wrote:
Is there much chance that the TfL "live departure board" information
will at some point be improved to lessen the incidence of specific
displays defaulting to nondescript destinations such as "Unknown",
"District Line", "Special", "Awaiting confirmation" etc.? *I realise
that there will be some occasions where at a given time the
destination of a given train might be indeterminate but not to the
extent that the boards would sometimes have us believe. On other
occasions the destination display can go to the opposite extreme of
depicting locations in terms of the "road number" of the particular
sidings in which the train will berth following its last set-down
point. A happy medium would be a preferred option.

I'm just curious as to how many genuine punters make use of the LU
live departure boards, given the frequent service on many parts of the
network?
Old August 28th 10, 08:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 28, 8:00*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Aug 28, 7:11*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Quite a lot, it's the quickest and most reliable way of seeing if your
line is disrupted before setting off for the station.
Old August 28th 10, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 28, 7:11*pm, " wrote:

[...]

I'd be happy if the District Line ever displayed any information at
all on the platforms. As far as I know it never yet has done, at
least not less than a minute before a train arrives. Maybe it's
repeatedly fixed and breaks down again on the occasions when I stray
that way and it's not closed for engineering works.

Today was a day when there was no engineering work on the section of
the District that I was planning to use and, surprise surprise,
absolutely zero information on the platforms. In this case, not even
displaying the expected arrival of the train whose headlights are
already in sight.

One has to wonder why District Line stations are part of any programme
to install expensive electronic equipment on the platforms, when the
will to create any information to display on them continues to be
lacking.
Old August 28th 10, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 28, 7:11*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Someone can come along and correct me, but my understanding is that
the sub-surface lines (inc the District) will only get decent live
running information when the new all-singing, all-dancing signalling
system eventually goes live in x number of years (in the new world of
TfL owning the infracos, and TfL's piggy bank being empty, this is of
course now subject to (further) delay) - the live running information
being an integral part of said signalling system (how LU know what's
happening on the system at present seems to be the result of a fusion
between voodoo magic and line controllers playing Mornington
Crescent).

However installing the 'train describers' (the on platform LED
displays) as part and parcel of a station upgrade as opposed to coming
back and doing it when the signalling system was up and running surely
made (and makes) more sense - bish, bash, bosh, do it all in one go -
a cheaper approach.

OK so we know the signalling system is going to be delayed now, but
one can't base all future planning on the notion that everything is
going to be delayed and so element y should wait until element x is
finalised, because then nowt would ever happen. And from the various
noises that have thus far come out it would seem that the LU line
upgrades are going to continue going ahead. (Just don't hold your
breath.)

Old August 29th 10, 01:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote on 29 August 2010 00:50:57 ...

On Aug 28, 11:53 pm, wrote:

On 28 Aug, 21:41, wrote:

On Aug 28, 8:00 pm, Mizter wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:11 pm, wrote:

[...]

I think that's true, but we already have a situation where at some
stations the displayed information is next to useless but the live
departure boards are much better. For example at Hammersmith westbound,
the District trains seem to appear on the platform indicator only
seconds before the train itself does, presumably because the display
system has to wait until the signalling system confirms that it's not
going to switch the District train on to the Piccadilly tracks! But the
live departure boards will happily tell you that the next Richmond train
is 7 minutes away, being currently between South Kensington and
Gloucester Road (say). Evidently they take their data from a different
system.
--
Richard J.
Old August 29th 10, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 28, 7:11*pm, " wrote:

[...]

(I meant "not more than a minute" of course.)

[...]

Well, maybe, but not if there's a new generation of PIS by the time
the signalling system can finally provide any information. That seems
more likely at the moment.

OK so we know the signalling system is going to be delayed now, but
one can't base all future planning on the notion that everything is
going to be delayed and so element y should wait until element x is
finalised, because then nowt would ever happen. And from the various
noises that have thus far come out it would seem that the LU line
upgrades are going to continue going ahead. (Just don't hold your
breath.)

.... fnarrrgh. Wooh. Lucky you warned me.