London Banter

-   -   Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11246-crossrail-tube-upgrades-spared-axe.html)

David Cantrell October 4th 10 11:12 AM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 06:09:05PM +0100, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 01/10/2010 11:41, Roy Badami wrote:
On 01/10/10 11:34, Bruce wrote:
"But funding for Crossrail and Tube projects will only be retained if
London mayor Boris Johnson abandons plans to scrap the Western
extension of the congestion charging zone or axes concessionary bus
and tram fares for 16-17 year olds."

Assuming those really are the only two options for saving the necessary
money, I wonder which would be politically more palatable?

Well, 16-17 years olds can't vote...

But most of those that would be affected by having their cheap fares
scrapped now will be able to vote in 2012.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

If I could read only one thing it would be the future, in the
entrails of the ******* denying me access to anything else.

David Cantrell October 4th 10 11:16 AM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 11:59:59AM +0000, d wrote:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:11:43 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
They are soon to be under school leaving age. And the majority will be
students of one kind or another, even if they've left school.

A student is someone who goes to university

No, a student is one who studies.

and has to fork out (eventually one way
or another) for their fees. Last time I looked kids of 16 ot 17 could stay at
school which is paid for by the government.

Yeah, and being at school does tend to prevent one from getting a job
that pays well, especially if you put the necessary time and effort
into your studies to actually benefit from them.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

What profiteth a man, if he win a flame war, yet lose his cool?

Roland Perry October 4th 10 11:38 AM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

In message , at 09:46:47 on Mon, 4 Oct
2010, d remarked:
Round here, most of the 6th Form Colleges get better A-Level results
than the schools.

I'd call a kid who goes to 6th form college a pupil, not a student.

Then you are out of step with much of society. Like the NUS, who sign up
6th-formers these days.

Since when has A levels been higher education?

It isn't. On the other hand, you can't get a London Underground 16-17
card if you are attending university (it appears). Nor a "Student card"
if you are under 18.

If I hadn't spent a "gappy kind of year" doing my Cambridge scholarship
exams, I could easily have gone to university aged 17 and a quarter.

[email protected] October 4th 10 12:20 PM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:16:15 +0100
David Cantrell wrote:
No, a student is one who studies.

So a 5 year old in primary school is a student then?

Yeah, and being at school does tend to prevent one from getting a job
that pays well, especially if you put the necessary time and effort
into your studies to actually benefit from them.

So what?

B2003

[email protected] October 4th 10 12:24 PM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 12:38:00 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:46:47 on Mon, 4 Oct
2010, d remarked:
Round here, most of the 6th Form Colleges get better A-Level results
than the schools.

I'd call a kid who goes to 6th form college a pupil, not a student.

Then you are out of step with much of society. Like the NUS, who sign up
6th-formers these days.

The NUS are and always have been a joke. Only the people running it who all
seem to believe they're a future prime minister in waiting don't realise that.

If I hadn't spent a "gappy kind of year" doing my Cambridge scholarship
exams, I could easily have gone to university aged 17 and a quarter.

I took a gap year and got a job to earn money to go to university. Unlike the
trustafarians who bum around foreign climbs with daddies gold card patronising
the locals.

B2003

Roland Perry October 4th 10 01:55 PM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

In message , at 12:24:48 on Mon, 4 Oct
2010, d remarked:

Round here, most of the 6th Form Colleges get better A-Level results
than the schools.

I'd call a kid who goes to 6th form college a pupil, not a student.

Then you are out of step with much of society. Like the NUS, who sign up
6th-formers these days.

The NUS are and always have been a joke. Only the people running it who all
seem to believe they're a future prime minister in waiting don't realise that.

The NUS card is quite handy, and 6th formers can get one.

If I hadn't spent a "gappy kind of year" doing my Cambridge scholarship
exams, I could easily have gone to university aged 17 and a quarter.

I took a gap year and got a job to earn money to go to university. Unlike the
trustafarians who bum around foreign climbs with daddies gold card patronising
the locals.

I didn't have any money, which is why I spent the second and third terms
that year still at school, as (mainly) a form of volunteer technology
teacher.

Peter Masson[_2_] October 4th 10 08:16 PM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

"Roland Perry" wrote

I didn't have any money, which is why I spent the second and third terms
that year still at school, as (mainly) a form of volunteer technology
teacher.

I spent the 9 months between the Oxford entrance exam and going up working
in the Public Relatioss and Publicity department of the WR London Divisional
Manager's Office.

Peter

Roland Perry October 4th 10 08:57 PM

Crossrail and Tube upgrades spared the axe - NCE

In message , at 21:16:51 on
Mon, 4 Oct 2010, Peter Masson remarked:
I didn't have any money, which is why I spent the second and third
terms that year still at school, as (mainly) a form of volunteer
technology teacher.

I spent the 9 months between the Oxford entrance exam and going up
working in the Public Relatioss and Publicity department of the WR
London Divisional Manager's Office.

Sounds like a great placement to have had.

And I forgot, as well as doing the volunteer teaching I sat
(self-taught) the first ever Computer Science A-level: Oxford board.
Naturally, I got an "A" :)

Arthur Figgis October 4th 10 09:10 PM

On 04/10/2010 21:57, Roland Perry wrote:

And I forgot, as well as doing the volunteer teaching I sat
(self-taught) the first ever Computer Science A-level

And I bet someone still said it had got easier...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

David Cantrell October 6th 10 03:31 PM

David Cantrell wrote:
No, a student is one who studies.

So a 5 year old in primary school is a student then?

I wouldn't really say that they study, so no.

Yeah, and being at school does tend to prevent one from getting a job
that pays well, especially if you put the necessary time and effort
into your studies to actually benefit from them.

So what?

So, obviously, they can't afford full price fares, and so in the
interests of encouraging them to continue their education, they can get
cheaper travel.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Featu an incorrectly implemented bug