Old October 21st 10, 10:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default More Oyster Woes ...

In message
Mizter T wrote:

On Oct 21, 7:47*pm, Offramp wrote:
In the Standard's reportage of this incident today at
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...e-23890197-.do
there is a phrase that hit my head like an elbow:
"The Jubilee line opened a year late and only just in time for the
Millennium Dome celebrations. It cost more than £2 billion to build."
I thought the Jubilee Line Extension opened ahead of schedule. New
Year's Day 1999/2000 was not originally part of the deadline. Or am I
wrong?

It was late - the tabloid version of history has it that Blair brought
in Bechtel to ensure it got finished on time (where on time was
'before the bloody chimes strike on the new millennium'!).

Well they did it with a year to spare.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Photo galleries at http://graeme-wall.fotopic.net/
Old October 22nd 10, 07:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Oct 21, 11:25*pm, Graeme wrote:
In message
* * * * * Mizter T wrote:

On Oct 21, 7:47*pm, Offramp wrote:
In the Standard's reportage of this incident today at
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...e-23890197-.do
there is a phrase that hit my head like an elbow:
"The Jubilee line opened a year late and only just in time for the
Millennium Dome celebrations. It cost more than £2 billion to build.."
I thought the Jubilee Line Extension opened ahead of schedule. New
Year's Day 1999/2000 was not originally part of the deadline. Or am I
wrong?

It was late - the tabloid version of history has it that Blair brought
in Bechtel to ensure it got finished on time (where on time was
'before the bloody chimes strike on the new millennium'!).

Well they did it with a year to spare.

So the ES reporter was wrong, was he not? He said it opened a year
late.
My memory is that the first deadline was 2001 or 2002, but that a
general media surge suggested to punters that New Years Eve 1999/2000
was the deadline.
Old October 22nd 10, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:

My memory is that the first deadline was 2001 or 2002, but that a
general media surge suggested to punters that New Years Eve 1999/2000
was the deadline.

It was certainly late - I remember the 1994 tube maps predicting a 1997
completion date and throughout 1998 & 1999 there were reports of further
delays - Westminster station was especially problematic and initially the
extension opened as just a separate shuttle service from Stratford to North
Greenwich, later Bermondsey then Waterloo.

Old October 22nd 10, 12:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Thanks for that. I was not being jejune or sarcastic - just my memory
is at fault!
Old October 22nd 10, 07:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message

Mizter T wrote:

On Oct 21, 7:47 pm, Offramp wrote:
In the Standard's reportage of this incident today at
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...e-23890197-.do
there is a phrase that hit my head like an elbow:
"The Jubilee line opened a year late and only just in time for the
Millennium Dome celebrations. It cost more than £2 billion to build."
I thought the Jubilee Line Extension opened ahead of schedule. New
Year's Day 1999/2000 was not originally part of the deadline. Or am I
wrong?

It was late - the tabloid version of history has it that Blair brought
in Bechtel to ensure it got finished on time (where on time was
'before the bloody chimes strike on the new millennium'!).

Well they did it with a year to spare.

--

But wasn't it finished without the signalling system that it was supposed to
have. Does that count as completing ahead of schedule. If you don't build

Kevin