Old January 29th 04, 10:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More Oyster Card Questions

Good morning to all on this cold morning.
I have a couple of questions about the Oyster card...

1) If I use the Oyster to buy a paper travelcard, is that cheaper then using
cash?
2) I travelled from Stratford on Friday (Central Line - Zone 3) to Wood
Green (Picc Line - Zone 3) via Zone 1, I got charged £1.30
On Sunday, I travelled from Wood Green to Liverpool Street, and was charged
£1.80... me confused... any of you cleaver people know why?

Many Thanks
Mark

(change the first devnull to mark if you want to e-mail me)

Old January 29th 04, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Mark Brown typed:

I have a couple of questions about the Oyster card...

1) If I use the Oyster to buy a paper travelcard, is that cheaper
then using cash?

No

2) I travelled from Stratford on Friday (Central Line - Zone 3) to
Wood Green (Picc Line - Zone 3) via Zone 1, I got charged £1.30

Fare should have been £2.50, or £2.30 if paid for with Oyster PrePay. A
fare of £1.30 suggests a 2-zone ticket (not including Zone1) - and
therefore the system must have thought that you hadn't entered Zone 1.

On Sunday, I travelled from Wood Green to Liverpool Street, and was
charged £1.80... me confused... any of you cleaver people know why?

Fare should have been £2.50, or £1.80 if paid for with Oyster PrePay.

Bob

Old January 29th 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Bob Wood
), in message
who said:

2) I travelled from Stratford on Friday (Central Line - Zone 3) to
Wood Green (Picc Line - Zone 3) via Zone 1, I got charged £1.30

Fare should have been £2.50, or £2.30 if paid for with Oyster PrePay.
A fare of £1.30 suggests a 2-zone ticket (not including Zone1) -
and therefore the system must have thought that you hadn't entered
Zone 1.

Which would've been technically possible, although possibly not the most
time-efficient route.

NLR to Highbury & Islington, Vic to Finsbury Park and the Picc would be an
example of such a route, and if a NLR train was about to depart when you
were at Stratford, it may actually have been the quickest way.

BTN

Old January 29th 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Ben Nunn typed:

who said:

A fare of £1.30 suggests a 2-zone ticket (not including Zone1) -
and therefore the system must have thought that you hadn't entered
Zone 1.

Which would've been technically possible, although possibly not the
most time-efficient route.

NLR to Highbury & Islington, Vic to Finsbury Park and the Picc would
be an example of such a route, and if a NLR train was about to depart
when you were at Stratford, it may actually have been the quickest
way.

But not possible with Oyster PrePay, which is not available on the North
London Line except from Richmond to Gunnersbury and from Stratford to
Canning Town - therefore not even technically possible.

Bob

Old January 30th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Bob Wood
writes
But not possible with Oyster PrePay, which is not available on the North
London Line except from Richmond to Gunnersbury and from Stratford to
Canning Town - therefore not even technically possible.

Why is it not possible /not available? Oyster is not an LU only card.
--
Bob Adams (email to )

Old January 31st 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In ,
Bob Adams typed:
In message , Bob Wood
writes
But not possible with Oyster PrePay, which is not available on the
North London Line except from Richmond to Gunnersbury and from
Stratford to Canning Town - therefore not even
technically possible.

Why is it not possible /not available? Oyster is not an LU only card.

Oyster PrePay is at the moment only for Underground and DLR - and a very
few specific NR lines, as listed on the website.

Don't ask me why - it just is!

Bob

Old January 31st 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Wood wrote:
In ,
Bob Adams typed:

In message , Bob Wood
writes

But not possible with Oyster PrePay, which is not available on the
North London Line except from Richmond to Gunnersbury and from
Stratford to Canning Town - therefore not even
technically possible.

Why is it not possible /not available? Oyster is not an LU only card.

Oyster PrePay is at the moment only for Underground and DLR - and a very
few specific NR lines, as listed on the website.

Don't ask me why - it just is!

Because LU/DLR fares do not (yet) apply on the North London Line outside
the specified sections - since TfL does not have jurisdiction over
National Rail services.
Old January 31st 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...
Bob Wood wrote:
In ,
Bob Adams typed:

In message , Bob Wood
writes

But not possible with Oyster PrePay, which is not available on the
North London Line except from Richmond to Gunnersbury and from
Stratford to Canning Town - therefore not even
technically possible.

Why is it not possible /not available? Oyster is not an LU only card.

Oyster PrePay is at the moment only for Underground and DLR - and a very
few specific NR lines, as listed on the website.

Don't ask me why - it just is!

Because LU/DLR fares do not (yet) apply on the North London Line outside
the specified sections - since TfL does not have jurisdiction over
National Rail services.

Has TfL published a document chronicling their negotiations with the
companies who control the relevant sections of the North London Line?

Brad
Old February 4th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:49:26 +0000, Bob Adams
wrote:

In message , Bob Wood
writes
But not possible with Oyster PrePay, which is not available on the North
London Line except from Richmond to Gunnersbury and from Stratford to
Canning Town - therefore not even technically possible.

Why is it not possible /not available? Oyster is not an LU only card.

True, but that doesn't make it a NR card either.

There are a few journeys allowed to from LUL/NR interchange stations,
but Pre-Pay is not valid across the bulk of the Greater London NR
network.

This can get confusing (and annoying!) so I direct you to
"Inter-availability of tickets and Pre Pay on National Rail services"
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/common/downloads/2004-fares.pdf for the facts.

Cheers,

Jason.
Old February 4th 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:37:36 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Bob Wood wrote:
In ,
Bob Adams typed:

In message , Bob Wood
writes

But not possible with Oyster PrePay, which is not available on the
North London Line except from Richmond to Gunnersbury and from
Stratford to Canning Town - therefore not even
technically possible.

Why is it not possible /not available? Oyster is not an LU only card.

Oyster PrePay is at the moment only for Underground and DLR - and a very
few specific NR lines, as listed on the website.

Because LU/DLR fares do not (yet) apply on the North London Line outside
the specified sections - since TfL does not have jurisdiction over
National Rail services.

This might be a reason, but I'd suspect that as most of the stations
don't have Oyster readers, this is a reason too.

TfL don't have jurisdiction over WAGN services, but most LUL fares
*are* available to/from Liverpool Street and all stations to Seven
Sisters, Tottenham Hale and Walthamstow Central on National Rail.

At intermediate stations Pre-Pay is not available, simply because
there are no Oyster readers.

Cheers,

Jason.