Old October 27th 10, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Making an immediate return with Oyster

On 27 Oct, 16:16, "David A Stocks" wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

On 27 Oct, 14:08, "David A Stocks" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

(Also worth noting that OSIs don't generally apply when exiting and
then
re-entering the same station/ gateline - e.g. if one were to exit
Euston
tube, then re-enter, that would start a new journey - though I'm not
sure
how things are configured at say Victoria, London Bridge, Liverpool
Street
or other NR termini stations, where one could concievably exit,
circulate
and then re-enter as part of an overall rail journey.)

I can only see that happening at Victoria where, AIUI, platforms 1-8 are
treated as a different station from platforms 9-19 with an OSI between
them.
I can't see any valid case for an OSI between the two gatelines on the
Southern (platforms 9-19) side of the station.

Why not? *It's the physical separation that matters, not the TOC. *If
you wanted to go from Brighton

you wouldn't be using Oyster.

No. East Croydon would have been a better example.

to Battersea Park, let alone Wandsworth
Road or Clapham High Street, you could reasonably change at Victoria.

FSVO 'reasonably'. Look at the difference in price between a zone 1-6
travelcard and a zone 2-6 travelcard. This represents the difference between
changing at Clapham Junction and/or Battersea Park vs changing at Victoria.

Not for long.

For a journey like Wandsworth Common to Wandsworth Road the reasonable thing
to do is to change at Battersea Park and avoid zone 1.

It's one of fairly equally reasonable routes, I'd have thought.

And it's also an option that's due to disappear if work on ELLX
continues.

I don't really see that the argument is any different from the
SouthEastern separation. One COULD change at Battersea Park, Denmark
Hill, Bromley South etc as necessary, but it will often be simpler and
more accessible to change at Victoria, where there is physical
separation between three bunches of platforms, regardless of TOC.

At London Bridge all the platforms are accessible to each other and from
any
gateline so I would expect a re-entry to create a new journey. I don't
know
the other London Termini sufficiently well to be able to comment on them.

But the accessible route requires going out of the paid area.

Agreed. I suspect a lot of accessible routes involve using side gates
without touching in/out at all.

--
DAS- Hide quoted text -