Old November 9th 10, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Idiotic traffic plod

Can someone explain to me why those retards with blue lights on their
heads had to close off 4 out of 5 lanes on the westbound A406 at the M1 turn
off just because a 7.5 tonner had got stuck on a crash barrier? The traffic
jams were epic and all they used the closed off lanes for was to park their
plodmobiles in and stand around looking useless until presumably a
recovery truck turned up.

****ing morons.

B2003

Old November 9th 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

"bod" wrote in message
On 09/11/2010 11:17, d wrote:
Can someone explain to me why those retards with blue lights on their
heads had to close off 4 out of 5 lanes on the westbound A406 at the M1
turn
off just because a 7.5 tonner had got stuck on a crash barrier? The
traffic
jams were epic and all they used the closed off lanes for was to park
their
plodmobiles in and stand around looking useless until presumably a
recovery truck turned up.

****ing morons.

B2003

On the face of it, that does appear to be very ott of the plod.

Years ago the police said that they would take drastic action on the roads.
This being to teach us all a lesson in being more careful.

While there may have been a good reason for it, it does seem to be
increasingly common practice to close roads (often completely) for
several hours in order to carry out an investigation into the cause of
an accident. Sometimes the reason given is that they are waiting for the
crash barriers to be repaired, or for the road to be resurfaced.

Yesterday, I believe that the whole of the M26 was closed for quite a
lot of the day because of a fatal lorry accident. Similarly, last week,
the M1 was closed around the junction for Luton Airport (not sure if
fatal). And the previous week, the M4 was closed between Slough and
Langley. As I said, the police may have legitimate reasons for doing
this, but you can't help but feel that there is an element of 'just
because we can' in some instances.
--
Ian

Old November 9th 10, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

for doing this, but you can't help but feel that there is an element
of 'just because we can' in some instances.

but perhaps a larger element of "....because if we don't some clever
lawyer will find a way to (i) frustrate any prosecution and/or (ii) sue
us for failing to measure this/photograph that/stop other silly sods
driving into one another".

Also perhaps an element of concern about the other silly sods driving
into them. How close would you fancy standing to some moron sending
texts while in charge of a lethal weapon?

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old November 9th 10, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 16:47:53 -0000
"Robin" wrote:
Also perhaps an element of concern about the other silly sods driving
into them. How close would you fancy standing to some moron sending
texts while in charge of a lethal weapon?

Its not hard to lay cones out to narrow the lanes so people have to slow down.
Besides, a lot of people do anyway near an accident just to have a look.
Theres no reason to close entire roads unless theres debris all over them.

Seems to me the police do it just so they can tick every box for a presecution.
Certainly insurance companies these days don't seem to give a **** who was
to blame for an accident. More often than not they settle on 50/50 blame
no matter what the circumstances.

B2003

Old November 9th 10, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

"bod" wrote in message
On 09/11/2010 11:17, d wrote:
[...]

The investigation of "accidents" sometimes seems to be very unpredictable.
One will cause the closure and resulting chaos described here and yet
others, also resulting in deaths, will be swept away very quickly and
subsequent investigation marginalised. I wonder what criteria they use to
decide?

Old November 9th 10, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , Graham Harrison
writes

"bod" wrote in message
On 09/11/2010 11:17, d wrote:
[...]

Might it be influenced by the availability of the local Accident
Investigation Team? If they are sitting around, kicking their heels, you
might as well give them some work to do. If they are already out on
another job, it might be decided that, unless something really serious
has occurred, a thorough investigation may not really be necessary.
--
Ian