Old November 12th 10, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Idiotic traffic plod

d wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:34:16 -0000
"Ret." wrote:
For all Boltar knew there may have been a pedestrian trying to run
across the motorway who caused the crash - and his body may still
have been under the vehicle.

No Kev, there was no body under the vehicle. I was 20 foot from it
when I drove past and its front was up on the barrier so there was a
clear view underneath.

It really annoys me when people spout off like this without knowing
the facts.

The facts were a 7.5 tonner stuck on some street furniture. End of.
So again - explain to me why they needed to close 4 lanes out of 5 for
something like this.

Were you in full view of the truck while you were waiting - or did you only
see it once the traffic began moving and you drove past? From your earlier
posts I suspect the latter - so you have no idea if other vehicles had been
involved and required removing to clear the lanes you were eventually
allowed to use.

It *is* the prime duty of traffic officers, after securing the
scene, and ensuring safety for other road users, to get the road
clear and get traffic moving normally again as soon as possible. To
suggest that traffic oficers just close roads for no good reason is
utter nonsense.

Oh please. Just how naive do you think we are? Next you'll be telling
us that police always do their level best to track down muggers and
burglars.

Indeed they do:

Most forces have been highly successful in significantly reducing burglaries
in recent years.

From the Cheshire Police web-site:

"Burglary has fallen by nearly 60% nationally since 1995. In Cheshire,
burglaries have dropped by 12.9% in the last five years, which means there
are now 592 fewer victims of burglary a year than in 2005."

This has been achieved via intelligence lead proactive policing targeting
known active burglars. The procedure has been highly successful.

--
Kev

Old November 12th 10, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:50:14 on Fri, 12
Nov 2010, Ret. remarked:

For Boltar to pontificate based upon his assessment of an accident
scene having just driven past it long after it occurred is stupid.

But I still have this uneasy question... if it was that long after the
accident, why were almost all the lanes still closed?

Note, this is a quite different question to "why did they need to close
lanes immediately after the accident".

Old November 12th 10, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Bod Bod is offline

On 12/11/2010 12:40, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:50:14 on Fri, 12
Nov 2010, Ret. remarked:

For Boltar to pontificate based upon his assessment of an accident
scene having just driven past it long after it occurred is stupid.

But I still have this uneasy question... if it was that long after the
accident, why were almost all the lanes still closed?

Note, this is a quite different question to "why did they need to close
lanes immediately after the accident".

Was there any hazardous/dangerous cargo inside the lorry! How would one
know?

Bod
Old November 12th 10, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:50:11 on Fri, 12 Nov
2010, bod remarked:

Was there any hazardous/dangerous cargo inside the lorry! How would
one know?

Was the traffic flowing in the opposite direction also coned off?
Old November 12th 10, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , bod
writes
On 12/11/2010 12:40, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:50:14 on Fri, 12
Nov 2010, Ret. remarked:

For Boltar to pontificate based upon his assessment of an accident
scene having just driven past it long after it occurred is stupid.

But I still have this uneasy question... if it was that long after the
accident, why were almost all the lanes still closed?

Note, this is a quite different question to "why did they need to close
lanes immediately after the accident".

Was there any hazardous/dangerous cargo inside the lorry! How would
one know?

Don't vehicles carrying hazardous materials have warning markings?
--
Ian
Old November 12th 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Bod Bod is offline

On 12/11/2010 13:06, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:50:11 on Fri, 12 Nov
2010, bod remarked:

Was there any hazardous/dangerous cargo inside the lorry! How would
one know?

Was the traffic flowing in the opposite direction also coned off?

I don't know, I wasn't there.

Bod

Old November 12th 10, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:28:01 on Fri, 12 Nov
2010, bod remarked:

Was there any hazardous/dangerous cargo inside the lorry! How would
one know?

Was the traffic flowing in the opposite direction also coned off?

I don't know, I wasn't there.

You asked "how would one know". I supplied an answer.