Old November 13th 10, 01:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default The BorisMaster

On 11/11/2010 15:49, Recliner wrote:
"Michael wrote in message
. uk
Like it or loathe it, here is today's London newspaper report of a
full-size "Boris Bus" intended to succeed the Routemaster:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...s-routemaster-
as-boris-bus-rolls-into-london.do , sponsored by London Mayor Boris
Johnson.

I loathe it. Open rear platform! The man's a Neanderthal!

Yes, it was on local TV as well. I suspect it'll be very popular if
enough can be afforded.

Incidentally, this was discussed at great length on uk.t.l when the
design was first unveiled some months ago, and before that, when the
design competition was run. The news this time is that the mock-up is
available for the public to inspect.

Where can one see it?

Old November 13th 10, 05:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/11/2010 14:22, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:08:47 +0000, "
wrote:

On 11/11/2010 15:49, Recliner wrote:

Incidentally, this was discussed at great length on uk.t.l when the
design was first unveiled some months ago, and before that, when the
design competition was run. The news this time is that the mock-up is
available for the public to inspect.

Where can one see it?

You can't see it. The launch was held at the Museum Depot at Acton. I
assume it is still there but who knows?

The mock up has been provided for stakeholders and user groups to see it
and try to get on and off it.

Surely passengers are stakeholders... aren't they...?

Accessibility groups as well as London
Travelwatch and MPs / London Assembly members would be key invitees. I
sure bus company reps and others will also feature.

It may be that TfL will decide to allow the general public to see it but
I have to read anything that says that will happen.

ISTR they did with a mock up of the new Victoria Line trains.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 14th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/11/2010 19:03, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:40:23 +0000, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

[nb4l consultation]

Surely passengers are stakeholders... aren't they...?

In my view yes. However TfL's consultation processes tends to
concentrate on groups that represent others. There is now more openness
about some bus route consultations (via the web) but it still tends to
be councils, GLA members, London Travelwatch etc that get the formal
documents / invites / briefings. I'd like to see more openness but
there is a risk that the "loony fringe" would overwhelm the due process
with inappropriate comments.

Yes, I can see the problem. Though at risk of going a bit Daily Mail, I
might also worry that no-one represents people like me at these things.

I saw this first hand when I visited a consultation session on the
proposals for the Tottenham Hale gyratory scheme. I had a load of
comments on that scheme and was listened to and was given good
explanations as to why things had been planned in a particular way.
Unfortunately at the same time several visitors were simply berating the
TfL people because Tottenham Hale bus station was temporarily closed and
buses weren't serving it and people therefore had longer walks than
usual. I understand why they were complaining but it wasn't the place
to do it!

BTDTGTTS.

With the best will in the world there is a risk that too many "frothing
at the mouth" bus enthusiasts would turn up at a public session of NB4L
viewing and simply denounce the new bus as "evil" because it is not a
Routemaster! I've seen it and read about it over Routemaster withdrawal
and bendy bus introduction. It would be naive to assume NB4L would
escape the same potential hysteria.

What, people get obsessively upset over changes to London bus services...?

I still hope the public do get to see the mock up though.

ISTR they did with a mock up of the new Victoria Line trains.

Yes and unfortunately the real thing is just like the mock up despite
all the comments I made about how ghastly the seats were and on various
other matters.

Ah, but at least they consulted. Did they every say anything about
taking any notice...?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 14th 10, 06:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:

Surely passengers are stakeholders... aren't they...?

Only in Transylvania.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633076.html
(50 029 at Rowsley, 17 Jun 2004)