Old November 22nd 10, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Two free exhibitions, London underground station plans, past and future

In case you missed the announcements, there are currently two small
exhibitions in London that may be of interest:

1. The V&A, in conjunction with RIBA, has "Underground Journeys: Charles
Holden's Designs for London Transport". It features original sketches,
drawings and models from about 80 years ago from Charles Holden's
architectural firm. You can see how the station design style changed
from the Northern Line to the Piccadilly Line extension. It includes
quite a few proposals that never happened, as well as those, like
Sudbury Town, that did.

Be warned that it's on the fourth floor (Room 128a), and appears not to
be accessible without lots of stairs.

2. There's a possibly more topical Crossrail exhibition at the NLA
galleries at The Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London WC1E 7BT.
There's a spectacular, detailed architectural model of central London
showing the Crossrail and other rail routes, as well as an information
panel on each of the planned underground stations. There also a not very
informative station model. The model includes both current (in grey) and
planned (in white) buildings, and is well worth a look. Here's a few of
the pics I took today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...2156305/detail

No stairs are involved!

Old November 22nd 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll try to visit both, but I will probably balk at four flights of
stairs. Is it not possible to take a lift for part of the way, even
if it is in another part of the building?
Old November 22nd 10, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 22, 8:16*pm, "Recliner" wrote:
In case you missed the announcements, there are currently two small
exhibitions in London that may be of interest:

1. The V&A, in conjunction with RIBA, has "Underground Journeys: Charles
Holden's Designs for London Transport". *It features original sketches,
drawings and models from about 80 years ago from Charles Holden's
architectural firm. *You can see how the station design style changed
from the Northern Line to the Piccadilly Line extension. It includes
quite a few proposals that never happened, as well as those, like
Sudbury Town, that did.

Be warned that it's on the fourth floor (Room 128a), and appears not to
be accessible without lots of stairs.

Until 13 February 2011 - see:
http://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/index.html

2. There's a possibly more topical Crossrail exhibition at the NLA
galleries at The Building Centre, 26 Store Street, London WC1E 7BT.
There's a spectacular, detailed architectural model of central London
showing the Crossrail and other rail routes, as well as an information
panel on each of the planned underground stations. There also a not very
informative station model. The model includes both current (in grey) and
planned (in white) buildings, and is well worth a look. Here's a few of
the pics I took today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recline...2156305/detail

No stairs are involved!

Until 8 December:
http://www.newlondonarchitecture.org...ion.php?id=220

Thanks, I'd not come across either of these beforehand, uncultured
philistine that I am - the former sounds equally worthily topical, in
an on-topic sense, as the latter for this newsgroup... but I know what
you're getting at! (Did I say, I'm trying for the 'most excruciatingly
constructed sentence award 2010'...)
Old November 22nd 10, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's what I did, then found that I still had to go up and down
several flights of stairs to get to the Architecture gallery, which is
quite small and tucked away. It looked like the one lift that might have
served it (in the adjacent glass gallery) was out of order. The V&A
isn't a good place to visit if you have a problem with stairs!

Old November 22nd 10, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

The V&A
isn't a good place to visit if you have a problem with stairs!

I think I'll just turn up in a wheelchair and ask if a member of staff
can take me to see the exhibition. ;-)

Old November 24th 10, 09:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, Recliner wrote:

In case you missed the announcements, there are currently two small
exhibitions in London that may be of interest:

1. The V&A, in conjunction with RIBA, has "Underground Journeys: Charles
Holden's Designs for London Transport". It features original sketches,
drawings and models from about 80 years ago from Charles Holden's
architectural firm. You can see how the station design style changed
from the Northern Line to the Piccadilly Line extension. It includes
quite a few proposals that never happened, as well as those, like
Sudbury Town, that did.

Be warned that it's on the fourth floor (Room 128a), and appears not to
be accessible without lots of stairs.

How appropriate!

2. There's a possibly more topical Crossrail exhibition at the NLA

Thanks for both of these, Reccers. That's my weekend sorted.

tom

--
You have now found yourself trapped in an incomprehensible maze.