Old October 16th 07, 12:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Central Line past West Ruislip

Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past West
Ruislip?

Old October 17th 07, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

At 14:23:28 on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 Paul Terry opined:-

In message ,
writes

Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past West
Ruislip?

The original (pre-war) plan was to continue two stations further -
Harefield Road and Denham. Post-war greenbelt legislation restricted
housing development, and thus potential passengers, in the area, so this
final part of the westward extension was never built.

I have a street atlas* with a map that shows it as existing. Denham is
there, but no station at Harefield Road.

* Bartholomew's Reference Atlas of Greater London, 1940
--
Thoss
E-mail address usenetatamoladdotorgdotuk
Old October 17th 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Oct, 13:43, wrote:
Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past West
Ruislip?

There were also plans to extend the other branch of the central line
past Ealing - it would have gone to Uxbridge, roughly along the route
of the recently abandoned West London Tram. I still don't see why they
didn't propose that instead of the tram - digging a cut-and-cover
route under the main road

Old October 17th 07, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Oct, 12:52, "John Shelley"
wrote:
thoss wrote:
At 14:23:28 on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 Paul Terry opined:-

In message ,
writes

Are there/were there? Any plans to extend the Central Line past West
Ruislip?

The original (pre-war) plan was to continue two stations further -
Harefield Road and Denham. Post-war greenbelt legislation restricted
housing development, and thus potential passengers, in the area, so
this final part of the westward extension was never built.

I have a street atlas* with a map that shows it as existing. Denham is
there, but no station at Harefield Road.

* Bartholomew's Reference Atlas of Greater London, 1940

Remember that it was being extended along the alignment of the GW&GC Joint
line, which is, probably, what is shown on the street atlas, altough it is
true that many anticipatory maps were drawn including many of LT's internal
ones

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx