Old November 26th 10, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pedestrianisation Of Oxford Street This Weekend

On Nov 26, 7:38*pm, wrote:

On Nov 24, 3:30*pm, Paul wrote:

Details of associated bus diversion are on the TfL website.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravel...nt=1081997_TfL

Is anyone else a little p****d off at this? *Whilst trying to attract
more people to Oxford Street and Regent Street, they are diverting the
buses away, thus making it more difficult to get there, and
conseuqently making the tube more overcrowded than it already is.

I am just wondering whether the benefits of making Oxford Street car
free outweigh the disadvantages

Presumably the owners of the shops there would not agree with me, but
Oxford Street at this time of year is something to be avoided if at
all possible in my opinion. * Both the street and the shops are
horribly overcrowded, and walking along the street is both slow and
difficult. *I'd rather see more shoppers encouraged to do their
shopping elsewhere, rather than adding to the crowds in Oxford
Street. *I'm sure that the more local shops would welcome the custom.

The thing is, Oxford Street isn't up against 'local shops', it's up
against Lakeside, Bluewater, Westfield (White City) and the upcoming
Westfield Stratford City, plus all the other shopping centres and
retail parks.

Incidentally the way to 'do' Oxford Street is early, before the crowds
arrive.

Old November 26th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2010\11\26 19:48, Mizter T wrote:

Incidentally the way to 'do' Oxford Street is early, before the crowds
arrive.

So that would be some time in the late 19th Century ;-)
Old November 27th 10, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Mizter T wrote:

Incidentally the way to 'do' Oxford Street is early, before the crowds
arrive.

Or to travel the length of it using one of the parallel streets to either
side, which are much less congested, and to access the shops by
sidestepping down a connecting street onto Oxford street, or where
possible, and it is often possible, using an entrance to the shop from a
side street or at the back. Experienced shoppers do it from behind.

tom

--
Virtually everything you touch has been mined. -- Prof Keith Atkinson