Old September 7th 04, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unenforced traffic ban on oxford street

So its the most famous street in London where normal traffic isnt
allowed but it doesnt seem to be enforced at all leading to quite a
lot of supposedly banned traffic using it.

Or does it mean that traffic is banned except for unloading, local
access, disabled traffic, minicabs etc. so infact its much like a
normal road?

Just a niggling thought

Old September 7th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jim Brown
writes

So its the most famous street in London where normal traffic isnt
allowed

Is it? I should have thought that Downing Street was pretty famous ...
but try driving (or even walking) along Downing Street and see what
happens.

but it doesnt seem to be enforced at all leading to quite a
lot of supposedly banned traffic using it.

I have not noticed much banned traffic in Oxford Street in recent years.

Or does it mean that traffic is banned except for unloading, local
access, disabled traffic, minicabs etc. so infact its much like a
normal road?

Some parts of Oxford Street have a 24-hour, 7-day a week restriction on
seldom opportunity for private cars to do anything other than a direct
cross.

--
Paul Terry
Old September 7th 04, 11:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jim Brown
writes
So its the most famous street in London where normal traffic isnt
allowed but it doesnt seem to be enforced at all leading to quite a
lot of supposedly banned traffic using it.

The official ban is for no vehicles except buses, taxis and cycles from
7 a.m. to 7pm. Monday to Saturday. The signs are meant to turn off
outside these times but frequently do not.

You can legally enter Oxford Street from Poland Street (forced left but
there is no ban on the U turn if you can do so without obstructing other
road users), Binney Street and Hills Place.

Or does it mean that traffic is banned except for unloading, local
access, disabled traffic, minicabs etc. so infact its much like a
normal road?

No one seems to enforce the rules so it gets progressively worse as
people get to know that they will not be stopped. It's the same in
Western Road, Brighton.

That's the trouble. With no one enforcing the rules there is a greater
and greater disregard for the law. This ends up with the authorities
saying that the problem is too great to deal with so that the problem
becomes progressively worse. That used to be the case when parking
enforcement was done by police controlled wardens, but with local
authority parking wardens now enforcing the rules there are now less
infringements. Perhaps there should be a similar system in place for
those who flout the laws in Oxford Street

Now don't get me started on those who use the bus lanes when they
shouldn't :-))

Mike

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old September 8th 04, 07:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Now don't get me started on those who use the bus lanes when they
shouldn't :-))

What make me laugh is people who DON'T use bus lanes when they SHOULD ;-)

Old September 8th 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , purple pete
writes
Now don't get me started on those who use the bus lanes when they
shouldn't :-))

What make me laugh is people who DON'T use bus lanes when they SHOULD ;-)

I think they're great as they leave plenty of space for me in my taxi
:-)

The trouble is that there are so many variations in the times and
authorise vehicles for the bus lanes that it gets very confusing, even
for us professionals. There are some lanes in the city where taxis are
excluded, even though we are allowed in nearly all of the others.

I think that's why so many people keep out of them even during times
when they can legally use them.

Old September 8th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I think I recall a lady who failed her driving test for NOT using a bus lane
outside of prohibited hrs.

They have just removed a bus lane cam near here as it was making £1M - yes
thats right, £1M - locals went mad when they found out - its position was
very bad too which caused alot of people to get caught out - and to be fair
knowing the area and the junction it was in a silly place.

Old September 8th 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , purple pete
writes
They have just removed a bus lane cam near here as it was making £1M - yes
thats right, £1M

Over what period?

Assuming the fine is £100, that's 10 *thousand* people being caught. If
that amount is measured over a year and the lane operates 6 days a week,
that's 33 people a day or perhaps 3 an hour.

- locals went mad when they found out

What, at how many of them misuse the bus lane?

- its position was
very bad too which caused alot of people to get caught out - and to be fair
knowing the area and the junction it was in a silly place.

Either it covered a bus lane or it didn't. If it did, then what's the
beef? If it didn't, then surely someone would have appealed in very
short order, meaning that it would *not* have "made" the amounts
suggested.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old September 8th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"purple pete" typed

I think I recall a lady who failed her driving test for NOT using a bus lane
outside of prohibited hrs.

They have just removed a bus lane cam near here as it was making £1M - yes
thats right, £1M - locals went mad when they found out - its position was
very bad too which caused alot of people to get caught out - and to be fair
knowing the area and the junction it was in a silly place.

You live local to me &ICM£5

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 8th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message
The trouble is that there are so many variations in the times and
authorise vehicles for the bus lanes that it gets very confusing, even
for us professionals.

Perhaps, but I tend to avoid using bus lanes because you invariably end up
coming across obstructions like stopped buses or parked cars, and have to
then merge into an unsympathetic line of traffic. I can't be bothered with
the hassle of this, plus the risk of accident / general increase in stress
levels - if only most people in London drove with such calmness!

Of course, when I'm cycling round London it's another matter!

Old September 9th 04, 04:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" typed

In article , purple pete
writes
They have just removed a bus lane cam near here as it was making £1M - yes
thats right, £1M

Over what period?

Assuming the fine is £100, that's 10 *thousand* people being caught. If
that amount is measured over a year and the lane operates 6 days a week,
that's 33 people a day or perhaps 3 an hour.

- locals went mad when they found out

What, at how many of them misuse the bus lane?

No, at the scale of the money involved ;-)

- its position was
very bad too which caused alot of people to get caught out - and to be fair
knowing the area and the junction it was in a silly place.

Either it covered a bus lane or it didn't. If it did, then what's the
beef? If it didn't, then surely someone would have appealed in very
short order, meaning that it would *not* have "made" the amounts
suggested.

If purple is discussing the camera I think he is, it was £800,000 over a
year. That's 20-30 per day, which doesn't sound quite so dramatic! The
bus lane operates from 7-10 am and 4-7pm IIRC.

It was on the A5 High Street Edgware/Burnt Oak Broadway on (Southbound I
think) approach to the traffic lights at its junction with Deansbrook
Road/Camrose Avenue. Traffic which does not wish to turn right tends to
avoid the queues by diving into the bus lane. There are several car
dealerships near the junction.

There are many petrol hotheads round here...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.