Old December 15th 03, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default GNER last night (sunday)

I regularly use GNER and think its one of the one last decent railway
companies. And yesterday they were distrupted because of a gas leak in
Doncaster area which affected trains going to Newcastle etc...
I didn't think it would affect me as trains were going to Leeds as
normal.
However some bright spark had the really great idea of terminating all
north of Doncaster at York. And all trains south at Doncaster or
Leeds. And then have a shuttle train between Leeds and York and let
everyone else fight it out on Arriva's two carriage trains and
Virgin's shiny new ones.
I got a train in the mid evenning. I usually get there about 5
minuites before my train leaves as I always have reserved seat. But
for some bizarre reason I got there 30mins before my train left. It
was already there and Leeds station is freezing cold so I got on the
train. By 10mins before the train was going to leave the carriage was
full. There were no seat reservations (I had sat in my reserved seat)
and so people were fighting and arguing over seats. Then when the
train was due to leave we were told that we had to wait for the
shuttle train from York for connecting passengers. That came in 20mins
later. Then we had to wait another 15mins as a GNER train load of
people left one platform and came to ours. And then we had to wait for
the people who had no idea where to go. Then the people who stood
arguing at GNER infomation desk. So we left 40mins late. The train was
packed. My carriage there was about 20 people standing just in the
carriage let alone the doorways. And they stood all the way to London
which took longer than 2 and half hours suppose to as we stopped at
every station. You couldn't leave your seat as you couldn't move in
the carriage.
I know Sundays are quiet but the lack of trains make them busy.
Especially in the evennings when people are going home. So why stick
two trains onto one? Wouldn't it been better to have another train
waiting at Doncaster or even extra trains? As we kept picking up more
and more people. I felt sorry for the people standing as I can assure
you I wouldn't have stood all the way from Leeds to London.
I hope the people standing get more than a poultry 25% refund for the
train being more than 50mins late.
Even though it takes longer Im trying for Midland Mainline next time.

Old December 15th 03, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Cross-posted to the appropriate newsgroup for comments (of which I'm sure
there will be plenty!).

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...

Old December 15th 03, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps someone in the know could answer this - given a blockage between
Doncaster and York why couldn't GNER simply route trains around the problem
by going Doncaster-Leeds-York and vice versa?

- Michael

Old December 15th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"MichaelJP" wrote in message

Perhaps someone in the know could answer this - given a blockage between
Doncaster and York why couldn't GNER simply route trains around the

problem
by going Doncaster-Leeds-York and vice versa?

Because Leeds - York is not electrified! For the distance involved it was a
stupid decision not to electrify through to Colton Junction when the
original electrification was carried out, although (as most of us know)
everything to do with the ECML electrification was 'on the cheap'.

Old December 15th 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
.. .

"MichaelJP" wrote in message

Perhaps someone in the know could answer this - given a blockage between
Doncaster and York why couldn't GNER simply route trains around the

problem
by going Doncaster-Leeds-York and vice versa?

Because Leeds - York is not electrified! For the distance involved it was

stupid decision not to electrify through to Colton Junction when the
original electrification was carried out, although (as most of us know)
everything to do with the ECML electrification was 'on the cheap'.

Thanks - I never thought it would be something as simple as that! You're
right though - it seems daft not to have done that extra section at the
time.

- Michael

Old December 15th 03, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Perhaps someone in the know could answer this - given a blockage between
Doncaster and York why couldn't GNER simply route trains around the

problem
by going Doncaster-Leeds-York and vice versa?

AFAIR our short-sighted treasury refused to electrify the link? Is that
right?

Richard

Old December 15th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message k...
Cross-posted to the appropriate newsgroup for comments (of which I'm sure
there will be plenty!).

And there was me thinking a subject regarding a train into a mainline
central LONDON station. Involving travelling to LONDON. Involving a
train company that runs trains into LONDON would be approaite for a
London Transport newsgroup
Old December 15th 03, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Jack Taylor wrote:
Cross-posted to the appropriate newsgroup for comments (of which I'm
sure there will be plenty!).

This is not a issue about transport in London.
FU set.
--
Richard J.

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North"
om...

Old December 15th 03, 04:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Joe Joe is offline

And there was me thinking a subject regarding a train into a mainline
central LONDON station. Involving travelling to LONDON. Involving a
train company that runs trains into LONDON would be approaite for a
London Transport newsgroup

Well as the incident didn't happen in London and most people with a better
railway knowledge of the area might just happen to be on uk.railway
You seem to have gotten much ruder since you moved up north
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Train Information, The Latest News & Best photos around check out the