Old December 14th 10, 12:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default DLR train testing between Canning Town - Stratford

This afternoon at 12:30 whilst travelling on the Jubilee Line towards
Stratford, I passed a 6 car train of DLR B07 stock being tested on the
new DLR route between Canning Town and Stratford. The train was being
driven in manual mode at possibly no faster than 5mph.

Old December 15th 10, 09:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 14, 2:45*pm, G1206 wrote:
This afternoon at 12:30 whilst travelling on the Jubilee Line towards
Stratford, I passed a 6 car train of DLR B07 stock being tested on the
new DLR route between Canning Town and Stratford. The train was being
driven in manual mode at possibly no faster than 5mph.

By 6 car do you mean 6 articulated sets or 3 articulated sets? Most
discussion I have read about the recent exercise to increaes capacity
has refered to "3 car trains" meaning 3 articulated sets, but given
that longer trains are generally not run, 6 articulated sets seems a
little odd to me (but 3 articulated sets entirely to be expected).
Oddly, while people seem happy to generally talk about an artiuclated
set of DLR stock as a single car, they seem less willing to describe
Eurostar as 2 power cars and 2 passenger cars.

Robin
Old December 15th 10, 11:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"bob" wrote in message

On Dec 14, 2:45 pm, G1206 wrote:
This afternoon at 12:30 whilst travelling on the Jubilee Line towards
Stratford, I passed a 6 car train of DLR B07 stock being tested on
the new DLR route between Canning Town and Stratford. The train was
being driven in manual mode at possibly no faster than 5mph.

By 6 car do you mean 6 articulated sets or 3 articulated sets? Most
discussion I have read about the recent exercise to increaes capacity
has refered to "3 car trains" meaning 3 articulated sets, but given
that longer trains are generally not run, 6 articulated sets seems a
little odd to me (but 3 articulated sets entirely to be expected).
Oddly, while people seem happy to generally talk about an artiuclated
set of DLR stock as a single car, they seem less willing to describe
Eurostar as 2 power cars and 2 passenger cars.

Yes, I constantly notice the same anomaly. In E* terms, the DLR will
have six-car trains, but they're actually three articulated vehicles,
each consisting of two segments. Of course, as a passenger, you're more
aware of passing between cars on an E* train than you are when moving
between the two halves of a DLR vehicle.

Old December 15th 10, 01:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:

"bob" wrote:

On Dec 14, 2:45 pm, G1206 wrote:
[...]

The 'official' terminology used by the DLR/ TfL (for better or for worse)
refers to an individual articulated vehicle as a "carriage", so the long
trains are "three-carriage trains" - see:
http://developments.dlr.co.uk/enhanc...city/index.asp

That said it's easy enough to work out what someone is talking about if they
were to refer to 2-car, 3-car, 4-car or 6-car DLR trains.

(My assumption is that they can't work in multiples of more than 3
carriages/vehicles even if they were running empty/ out of service -
obviously a longer than 3 vehicle train could not work in passenger service,
unless I suppose the 'extra' cars sticking off the platforms could be locked
out of service - but my guess is that the entire signalling and train
control system is predicated on 3 car/vehicle trains and so nothing longer
could run.)

Old December 15th 10, 01:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

"Recliner" wrote:

"bob" wrote:
[...]

You and I may think it's clear enough, but Railway Herald managed to get
totally confused, and announced that the extended DLR trains consisted
of two, three-segment vehicles, rather than three two-segment vehicles.
In other words, they thought that the extension consisted of new
intermediate trailer segments (which have left the trains severely
under-powered). And I also remember a discussion here about whether the
trains were even articulated.

Old December 15th 10, 05:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

The 'official' terminology used by the DLR/ TfL (for better or for
worse) refers to an individual articulated vehicle as a "carriage",
so the long trains are "three-carriage trains" - see:
http://developments.dlr.co.uk/enhanc...city/index.asp

That said it's easy enough to work out what someone is talking about
if they were to refer to 2-car, 3-car, 4-car or 6-car DLR trains.

You and I may think it's clear enough, but Railway Herald managed to get
totally confused, and announced that the extended DLR trains consisted of
two, three-segment vehicles, rather than three two-segment vehicles. In
other words, they thought that the extension consisted of new intermediate
trailer segments (which have left the trains severely under-powered). And
I also remember a discussion here about whether the trains were even
articulated.

I think I'll pass on travelling on a non-articulated vehicle on the DLR -
the result could be rather messy!

Old December 15th 10, 09:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 15, 6:10*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
"Recliner" wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

I think the question was to do with how many bogies there are, and
there are three per "carriage" rather than four.

Old December 16th 10, 06:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"Recliner" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

The discussion about whether the trains were even articulated. I
think someone said that if what appear to be two cars have a shared
bogie in the middle, then it's right to call them single vehicles than
a unit of two (although that's still how I see them).
Old December 16th 10, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

It was worse than that. Someone unearthed a manufacturer's artist's
impression that appeared to show four axles in the middle of the
carriage, which suggested two bogies. This was, of course, an error by
the artist, but as you can't easily see the bogies, thanks to the side
skirts, some people assumed that as the sketch came from the
manufacturer, it must be correct.