Old June 14th 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
CJB CJB is offline

Default DLR Canning Town Stratford International - still not opened ...

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

Old June 14th 11, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Q Q is offline

"CJB" wrote in message
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for work.

Old June 15th 11, 05:26 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.
It's a Transport For London project, isn't it? Did you expect it to be completed quickly?
Old June 15th 11, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
CJB CJB is offline

On Jun 14, 6:18*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for work..

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

CJB
Old June 15th 11, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 15, 10:57*am, CJB wrote:
On Jun 14, 6:18*pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

"CJB" wrote in message

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010. Its
Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for work.

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

How many people have any reason to want to actually travel between
Stratford International and Bank? Almost every journey I can think of
between somewhere in central London and somewhere in Stratford is
better served via HS1 between St Pancras and Stratford International,
as the train is so much faster than the DLR (even if the latter did
have direct trains). If you are thinking of the Olympics, why would
people want to go via Bank at all (would you really expect to go from
the office to the games rather than from home to the games)? How many
people can get from their home to Bank more easily than they can get
from their homes to St Pancras (or direct to Stratford)? In the
longer term, it seems to me the main use for this line is to connect
passengers using HS1 with the wider Docklands region. If there were a
north to west curve at Canning Town, I would suggest that it would be
far more useful to use it for Lewisham - Isle of Dogs - Canning Town -
Stratford Intl services than Bank - Canning Town - Stratford Intl.

To my mind, the most useful feature of this new line will be to allow
me to get from north of London to City Airport (eg Cambridge - King's
Cross - St Pancras - Stratford Intl - Canning Town - LCY). Having
done Cambridge to LCY a few times recently, I'm definitely looking
forward to this option (oddly I've had trouble buying a ticket from
Cambridge to Stratford International from Cambridge station, and
tickets from Cambridge to Stratford, routed any permitted, won't open
the gates at St Pancras (Kent), although the staff are happy enough to
let me through).

Robin

Old June 15th 11, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"CJB" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 6:18 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message

This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010.
Its Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

The online map says summer 2011 so no idea.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-route-map.pdf

Hopefully it will be soon as I think Star Lane may come in handy for
work.

Interesting map - thank you. It seems that to get to/from the City of
London (Bank or Tower Hill) and Stratford International (and
presumably the Olympic Site) everyone will have to change at Canning
Town. This is going to cause chaos at peak flows with tourists and
commuters milling around changing trains and presumably changing
platforms.

Why on earth didn't they put a chord in for trains to go direct from
say Bank to Stratord International etc.?

The Olympic site is best accessed from Stratford Regional, which already
has connections from the City (on the Central and mainline), the West
End (via the Jubilee) and from Canary Wharf (via the existing DLR). If
someone wants to get there from Tower Hill directly, then the District
to West Ham is best. In one of these cases is a change needed. Stratford
International is best placed for connecting to the Athletes' Village,
which is a large residential area of the future, and international
trains, if they ever stop there.

Old June 15th 11, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin9" wrote in message

CJB;120600 Wrote:
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010.
Its Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

It's a Transport For London project, isn't it? Did you expect it to be
completed quickly?

Actually, most DLR projects have been completed on time.

Old June 15th 11, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Recliner" wrote in message

In one of these cases is a change needed.

Oops, of course I meant in *none* of these cases is a change needed.

Old June 15th 11, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 15, 10:41*am, "Recliner" wrote:
"Robin9" wrote in message

CJB;120600 Wrote:
This is clearly marked on numerous maps as opening in Autumn 2010.
Its Spring 2011 - what's the delay? CJB.

It's a Transport For London project, isn't it? Did you expect it to be
completed quickly?

Actually, most DLR projects have been completed on time.

I think the main construction work has been completed. There was a
clip on BBC London News a few weeks ago showing a train arriving at
Stratford, and Boris getting on the train.

Presumably they are into the testing phase at the moment.

Old June 15th 11, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Or of course there are the special Games Lanes for road traffic which
will let VIPs play at being* the Soviet Politburo - and which will
imprison us locals for the best part of 3 months.

*in the case of the IOC make that "continue to behave like"
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com