Old December 22nd 10, 09:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default 113 cancellations on FCC Thameslink

In message
,
D7666 writes
No services can now call at City Thameslink because of treacherous
conditions.

I cannot imagine why they thought they had to close City Thameslink: it
is a station entirely underground, with both entrances well protected
from the weather beneath office blocks, one in a mini-shopping mall. The
message I saw claimed there was too much ice: I'd have thought that the
only place ice could form would be on the pavement outside the entrance.
Does anyone understand this at all? It's particularly unfortunate to
close it, since Blackfriars is also closed, and Farringdon beset by
building works.

Assemble to following words in the correct order

capital
brewey
organise
connect
drinking
first
organise
can't
session
in

Very well put.

--
Clive Page
Old December 22nd 10, 12:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 22, 10:15*am, Clive Page wrote:
In message
,
[...]

I apologise for the delayed arrival of this post.........

I can add a bit of back ground to Monday morning......... Core route
blocked Friday night (I assume 22.00 ish?) power off all weekend (3rd
rail) Herne Hill to Farringdon. switch it all on 50 + hours later and
watch the first train train up th bank into Blackfriars fail to gain
traction. Stick another 8 car on the back of that and the ice/snow
stops that one as well. Northbound train (05.09 ex Brighton I assume
was the first, it is normally) at around the same time struggles to
get anywhere near Elephant & Castle. Assist that with another 8 car,
well try to anyway. From what I overheard there were 4 traiins stuck
from start of service until well after 08.00 (I beleive it was more
like 09.00 but don't want to do a Kay Burley). A work colleauge was
getting regular updates from his wife on the Northbound Brighton which
ultimately got de iced by ground staff and got back to Herne Hill
where they got into London via SET to Victoria.

Net result core closed, side effect, City Thameslink hardly used
(if ?) at all......

Tuesday morning, run a through service. People get off (and on as
well ?) at City Thameslink and find a slippery surface - very very
slippry apparently. So slippery they had to close. Now whether this is
because three days have passed with no use and damp platforms froze,
or if there was another reason, I know not but it seemed to be closed
a very long time if it was just putting kill frost down. I know it's a
glossy tile surface so am guessing the dreaded terrazo ?

Richard
Old December 22nd 10, 05:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Dec 22, 1:22*pm, Fat richard wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

At least that makes sense after the chaos on Monday morning.

Tuesday morning, run a through service. People get off (and on as
well ?) at City Thameslink and find a slippery surface - very very
slippry apparently. So slippery they had to close. Now whether this is
because three days have passed with no use and damp platforms froze,
or if there was another reason, I know not but it seemed to be closed
a very long time if it was just putting kill frost down. I know it's a
glossy tile surface so am guessing the dreaded terrazo ?

Interesting.

One hopes now then they do somehting about not allowing a repeat
occurence.

I am wonder what happens over the xmas shutdown and service restart,
not just FCC TL but the whole network if weather carries on as it is.
At least I'm not back to work until Jan 4th.

--
Nick
Old December 22nd 10, 12:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Clive Page
writes

I cannot imagine why they thought they had to close City Thameslink: it
is a station entirely underground, with both entrances well protected
from the weather beneath office blocks, one in a mini-shopping mall.
The message I saw claimed there was too much ice: I'd have thought that
the only place ice could form would be on the pavement outside the
entrance. Does anyone understand this at all?

I wonder if the problem is the open-air section just south of City
Thameslink - there's a steep rising gradient on the approach to
Blackfriars.
--
Paul Terry