Old December 21st 10, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Is LU really running perfectly today?

In between all the news reports of chaos on many of the main lines out
of London, as well as the airports, I took a look at the TfL Live travel
news page. This has lots of warnings of problems on other networks, but
unusually shows a "Good service" on every LU line.

This is better then on most ordinary days, but seems exceptionally good
considering the weather. So, is the service really running as well as
claimed, or is the Web page being too optimistic?

Old December 21st 10, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:58:59 -0000
"Recliner" wrote:
This is better then on most ordinary days, but seems exceptionally good
considering the weather. So, is the service really running as well as
claimed, or is the Web page being too optimistic?

Maybe the web guys have gone on strike and it hasn't been updated.

B2003

Old December 21st 10, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes
In between all the news reports of chaos on

many of the main lines out
of London, as well as the airports, I took a look at the TfL Live travel
news page. This has lots of warnings of problems on other networks, but
unusually shows a "Good service" on every LU line.

This is better then on most ordinary days, but seems exceptionally good
considering the weather. So, is the service really running as well as
claimed, or is the Web page being too optimistic?

I haven't been on the tube today, but the temperature in London is
noticeably higher today (a balmy 3 degrees!). Currently it is raining
here in SW14, so much of the ice is dispersing, although it will
doubtless freeze again overnight.
--
Paul Terry
Old December 21st 10, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:58:59 -0000, Recliner wrote:
In between all the news reports of chaos on many of the main lines out
of London, as well as the airports, I took a look at the TfL Live travel
news page. This has lots of warnings of problems on other networks, but
unusually shows a "Good service" on every LU line.

This is better then on most ordinary days, but seems exceptionally good
considering the weather. So, is the service really running as well as
claimed, or is the Web page being too optimistic?

It was lying a little this morning. The Northern line claimed to have a
Good service but all 4 trains shown on the indicator board were going
via Charing Cross rather than the usual slightly Bank biased mix and
the driver made lots of announcements about changing at Camden Town and
"keep moving if you can".
Old December 21st 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/12/2010 16:04, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Recliner
writes
In between all the news reports of chaos on

many of the main lines out
of London, as well as the airports, I took a look at the TfL Live travel
news page. This has lots of warnings of problems on other networks, but
unusually shows a "Good service" on every LU line.

This is better then on most ordinary days, but seems exceptionally good
considering the weather. So, is the service really running as well as
claimed, or is the Web page being too optimistic?

I haven't been on the tube today, but the temperature in London is
noticeably higher today (a balmy 3 degrees!). Currently it is raining
here in SW14, so much of the ice is dispersing, although it will
doubtless freeze again overnight.

I haven't really seen or heard much about any serious malfunctions, due
to the snow, although I do know that services had slowed down quite a
bit. Nonetheless, everything more or less seemed to be operating.

I certainly didn't hear anything about the outer reaches of the
Metropolitan line having any problems, and I generally did not hear
anything about how services could not run because of problems with the
3rd rail.

BTW, I have seen on LU rolling stock something that appears to be
brushes, which is just in front of contact shoes and rides directly over
the 3rd rail. What is that? Is that to brush off snow from the 3rd rail?

Old December 21st 10, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21/12/2010 21:37, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:50:32 +0000, "
wrote:

BTW, I have seen on LU rolling stock something that appears to be
brushes, which is just in front of contact shoes and rides directly over
the 3rd rail. What is that? Is that to brush off snow from the 3rd rail?

Yes brushes to shift snow and ice. Some trains also carry tanks of
de-icing fluid and have defined paths in the timetable to allow the
fluid to be spread on the conductor rails.

Would those be revenue trains?

Old December 22nd 10, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Don't know about perfectly, but my experience over the last few weeks
is that LU have coped with the cold weather far better than the
various overground (not Overground) services. While I'm no great
admirer of LU, I think a small pat on the back is called for.

Peter

Old December 22nd 10, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 00:52:44 -0800 (PST)
peter wrote:
Don't know about perfectly, but my experience over the last few weeks
is that LU have coped with the cold weather far better than the
various overground (not Overground) services. While I'm no great
admirer of LU, I think a small pat on the back is called for.

I heard on the radio that LU had trains running throughout the night.
Even without that , the 2 or 3 minute interval of most LU trains compared with
the 15 or 20 mins typical on southern region would mean a lot more snow
would be melted or brushed off the tracks by the trains anyway.

Having said that the most interesting experience I ever had on a tube train
was back in the 80s on the northern line when the 59 stock I was on arced
the entire way from woodside park to west finchley because of ice on the
conductor rails. It was dark anyway and with the snow around the constant
blue and white flashing combined with the lights constantly dimming
was a rather magical experience

B2003

Old December 22nd 10, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 22/12/2010 08:52, peter wrote:
Don't know about perfectly, but my experience over the last few weeks
is that LU have coped with the cold weather far better than the
various overground (not Overground) services. While I'm no great
admirer of LU, I think a small pat on the back is called for.

Peter

I agree. What was is that set LU apart from the others?