Old January 5th 11, 08:06 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail western termunus

On 31/12/2010 09:34, 1506 wrote:
On Dec 30, 7:56 pm, wrote:
On 30/12/2010 11:13, 1506 wrote:

And how do you think the Bristol and Norwich passengers will feel
about travelling in rapid transit trains with no bathrooms, many
draughty doors, and limited seating?

Bathrooms?! How many trains have bathrooms that you can think of?

Full bathrooms? very few trains have them. As for Half bathrooms (a
commode and hand basin), a substantial number of trains have them.

Full bathrooms? Half bathrooms? What?

I realise that others like to complicate matters more than we do here in
Yorkshire, but let's be clear: It's a bloody toilet.

Phil.

Old January 5th 11, 09:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message Philip
was claimed to have wrote:

On 31/12/2010 09:34, 1506 wrote:
On Dec 30, 7:56 pm, wrote:
On 30/12/2010 11:13, 1506 wrote:

And how do you think the Bristol and Norwich passengers will feel
about travelling in rapid transit trains with no bathrooms, many
draughty doors, and limited seating?

Bathrooms?! How many trains have bathrooms that you can think of?

Full bathrooms? very few trains have them. As for Half bathrooms (a
commode and hand basin), a substantial number of trains have them.

Full bathrooms? Half bathrooms? What?

I realise that others like to complicate matters more than we do here in
Yorkshire, but let's be clear: It's a bloody toilet.

In North America a "half bath" is a toilet and sink/handwashing
facilities but no bath.

A "full bath" typically includes either a tub, shower, or both.

Neither definition is entirely written in stone though so you'll find
other things described in some cases.
Old January 6th 11, 10:56 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message

In North America a "half bath" is a toilet and sink/handwashing
facilities but no bath.

A "full bath" typically includes either a tub, shower, or both.

Neither definition is entirely written in stone though so you'll find
other things described in some cases.

While I'm familiar with the American usage of 'bathroom' to cover all types
of bathrooms/loos etc, whether or not they contain a bathtub, I hadn't come
across these niceties of 'full' and 'half' baths. Though, returning to the
sleeper train theme, I did travel on a night train in Australia once which
had a shower room attached to the sleeping compartment...

Martin

Old January 6th 11, 11:03 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

"Martin Rich" writes:
I hadn't come across these niceties of 'full' and 'half' baths.

I've only seen those used in real-estate advertisements, presumably to
avoid using a "low" word like toilet (which is what a "half bath" is...).

-Miles

--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it." Mahatma Gandhi
Old January 9th 11, 01:39 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:03:55 on Fri, 7 Jan
2011, Miles Bader remarked:

I hadn't come across these niceties of 'full' and 'half' baths.

I've only seen those used in real-estate advertisements, presumably to
avoid using a "low" word like toilet (which is what a "half bath" is...).

In US-English a WC is also called a bathroom (especially in public
places like shops and restaurants). So in a house you do need to be able
to distinguish between 'full' and 'half'. It also allows a more compact
advert because you can simply say (eg) "2.5 bathrooms".

In the UK the half-bath is normally called a "cloakroom" in real-estate
speak. Ironically, many in older houses really are a conversion of a
room off the entrance hall for storing coats; which I suppose they'd
have to describe as a "coat cupboard".

Old January 9th 11, 02:19 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 9, 2:39*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:03:55 on Fri, 7 Jan
2011, Miles Bader remarked:

I hadn't come across these niceties of 'full' and 'half' baths.

I've only seen those used in real-estate advertisements, presumably to
avoid using a "low" word like toilet (which is what a "half *bath" is....).

In US-English a WC is also called a bathroom (especially in public
places like shops and restaurants). So in a house you do need to be able
to distinguish between 'full' and 'half'. It also allows a more compact
advert because you can simply say (eg) "2.5 bathrooms".

In the UK the half-bath is normally called a "cloakroom" in real-estate
speak.

Ah yes, from the Latin 'cloaca'...
Old January 9th 11, 01:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at
23:56:18 on Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Martin Rich
remarked:
While I'm familiar with the American usage of 'bathroom' to cover all
types of bathrooms/loos etc, whether or not they contain a bathtub, I
hadn't come across these niceties of 'full' and 'half' baths.

There's also a "Jack and Jill" bathroom, which is an en-suite shared
between two bedrooms.

Note that Americans will also "wash up" in a bathroom (sic), whereas
Brits tend to do that in a sink in the kitchen!
Old January 10th 11, 02:22 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message Roland Perry
was claimed to have wrote:

In message , at
23:56:18 on Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Martin Rich
remarked:
While I'm familiar with the American usage of 'bathroom' to cover all
types of bathrooms/loos etc, whether or not they contain a bathtub, I
hadn't come across these niceties of 'full' and 'half' baths.

There's also a "Jack and Jill" bathroom, which is an en-suite shared
between two bedrooms.

There are other even weirder combinations too. My grandmother's place
has a main bathroom with doors opening into the living room and guest
bedroom, while the master bedroom has it's own full bath.
Old January 10th 11, 07:52 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:22:32 on
Sun, 9 Jan 2011, DevilsPGD
remarked:
There's also a "Jack and Jill" bathroom, which is an en-suite shared
between two bedrooms.

There are other even weirder combinations too. My grandmother's place
has a main bathroom with doors opening into the living room and guest
bedroom,

One design I've seen a few times is a "guest suite" behind a double
garage, where along the back wall of the house there's a bedroom in the
corner, then a bathroom en-suite to the bedroom, but also with a door to
the corridor leading to the hall/kitchen public area.
Old January 10th 11, 08:31 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 10/01/2011 08:52, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:22:32 on
Sun, 9 Jan 2011, DevilsPGD
remarked:
There's also a "Jack and Jill" bathroom, which is an en-suite shared
between two bedrooms.

There are other even weirder combinations too. My grandmother's place
has a main bathroom with doors opening into the living room and guest
bedroom,

One design I've seen a few times is a "guest suite" behind a double
garage, where along the back wall of the house there's a bedroom in the
corner, then a bathroom en-suite to the bedroom, but also with a door to
the corridor leading to the hall/kitchen public area.

This thread reminds me of a soap add about 20 years ago. Opened with a
shot of an Eastern European steam train battling through a blizzard.
Cut to a shot of an interior of one of the carriages with a young lady
taking a bath in an opulent tub using Cussons Imperial Leather soap.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail