Old December 31st 10, 07:28 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default The "Third Rail problem"

On Dec 31, 1:48*am, Clive wrote:
In message
,
1506 writesMy thoughts precisely. *I can recall travelling from Waterloo to the
suburbs in 4EPBs in heavy snow sans the problems of today.

If we cannot have heavier pick-up gear, perhaps we need some sort of
clearing device some meters in front of the shoe. *Perhaps a laser
aimed at the third rail, a heat lamp, or a heavy, heated dummy shoe.

I own an underground 62 stock shoe and boy is it heavy. * If they want
to make modern shoes lighter, then make them the inverse of a ships bow,
where a bottom plough lifts all snow and ice off of the track.

That sounds reasonable. If it could be warmed that would help.
Better yet, have a like shaped device fixed to the bogie in front of
the one carrying the shoe.

Old January 1st 11, 05:58 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In article
,
1506 wrote:

On Dec 31, 1:48*am, Clive wrote:
In message
,
1506 writesMy thoughts precisely. *I can recall
travelling from Waterloo to the
suburbs in 4EPBs in heavy snow sans the problems of today.

If we cannot have heavier pick-up gear, perhaps we need some sort of
clearing device some meters in front of the shoe. *Perhaps a laser
aimed at the third rail, a heat lamp, or a heavy, heated dummy shoe.

I own an underground 62 stock shoe and boy is it heavy. * If they want
to make modern shoes lighter, then make them the inverse of a ships bow,
where a bottom plough lifts all snow and ice off of the track.

That sounds reasonable. If it could be warmed that would help.
Better yet, have a like shaped device fixed to the bogie in front of
the one carrying the shoe.

Oddly enough, BART in San Francisco, which has a long and storied
history of not having ice storms, has guards around its third rail
system which look like they would do a fantastic job of preventing icing
from happening, should San Francisco ever actually have an ice storm.

There are places out there that actually make third rail and catenary
heater wire for de-icining:
http://www.rtrtechnologies.com/contact-rail-deicing
for example.

--
Please note this e-mail address is a pit of spam due to e-mail address
harvesters on Usenet. Response time to e-mail sent here is slow.
Old January 1st 11, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Glen Labah) wrote:

Oddly enough, BART in San Francisco, which has a long and storied
history of not having ice storms, has guards around its third rail
system which look like they would do a fantastic job of preventing
icing from happening, should San Francisco ever actually have an
ice storm.

There are places out there that actually make third rail and
catenary heater wire for de-icining:
http://www.rtrtechnologies.com/contact-rail-deicing
for example.

It's a very long time since anyone created a new third rail system with
top contact conductor rails, long before BART was built. However, the
general view is that changing such systems is prohibitively expensive on a
wide scale.

--
Colin Rosenstiel