Old January 5th 11, 12:24 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Jubilee Line ATO

On Jan 4, 8:26*pm, D7666 wrote:
Jubilee between Stratford and Dollis Hill ATO using Seltrac S40 TBTC
was working today, the first full ''normal'' traffic day after xmas
testing and decision to ''leave it on''.

I had not realised this was going to take place : first I knew of it
was this a.m. arriving by foot from Thameslink to Jubilee at West
Hampstead and noted the conventional clockwork signals bagged over.

A step forward indeed. Does this mean that Met. and Jubilee trains
will no longer be able to use the other's track during an emergency?

Old January 6th 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

I had my first journey on the automated Jubilee Line between Stratford
and Westminster today and it’s very difficult to notice that the train
is being driven by a computer unlike on the sister Central and
Victoria lines.

All the signals have been sellotaped and bagged over, including the
platform repeaters - I used to use the trio cluster of signal
repeaters on the Jubilee concourse at Stratford to know if I should
make a hasty run for the next departure or casually walk to the
opposite platforms and travel on the next train.

In comparison to the Central and Victoria line systems, the Jubilee
ATO drives the train at a very humble and civilised pace, unlike on
the other said lines which have the touch of an elephant and drive the
trains as “fast as possible between stations” (the words of a Central
Line manager who I once spoke with) and brake on a sixpence at the
very last possible moment. From what I experienced today, the ATO
accelerates to line speed then coasts and gradually notches back up
should the speed fall, unlike on the Central line that I notice is
driven by only using acceleration and braking without coasting in a
constant power-brake-power-brake-power state.

I believe that pre-ATO the 1996 stock (and Northern 1995s) were
restricted to 60-70% power - now that ATO is in operation have they
been let off their leashes? It was difficult to notice any significant
acceleration/braking difference.

One last question, I know that on the Central Line that the platform
staff are informed that the train is ready to depart by ***MIND THE
DOORS*** appearing on the dot matrix displays and on the Victoria the
platform repeaters are still used but I couldn’t understand how the
platform staff at Westminster knew when to announce that the train was
ready to depart now that the signals have been obscured?
Old January 6th 11, 08:35 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 6, 8:48*pm, G1206 wrote:

In comparison to the Central and Victoria line systems, the Jubilee
ATO drives the train at a very humble and civilised pace,

I believe that pre-ATO the 1996 stock (and Northern 1995s) were
restricted to 60-70% power - now that ATO is in operation have they
been let off their leashes? It was difficult to notice any significant
acceleration/braking difference.

You are correct.

The stage in the program that has just been implemented is J4 (Jubilee
line stage 4) although todays J4 is really made up of the original
J2+J3+J4 added together. It means ATo between Stratford and Dollis
HIll AFAIK. J5 completes ATO to Stanmore, then after that there is J6
which brings in a new working timetable along with unscrewed traction
packs. At the moment the traction packs and dynamic braking effort is
limited to the consraint of clockwork signalling. Once unscrewed the
line will have greater acceleration and braking rates.

--
Nick

Old January 6th 11, 10:29 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, D7666 wrote:

then after that there is J6 which brings in a new working timetable
along with unscrewed traction packs.

That sounds like what they tried on the Central line back in 2003.

tom

--
curry in a sack
Old January 6th 11, 11:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 6, 11:29*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, D7666 wrote:
then after that there is J6 which brings in a new working timetable
along with unscrewed traction packs.

That sounds like what they tried on the Central line back in 2003.

Still, worth taking a Chance(ry Lane) on.

(Sorry.)

Old January 7th 11, 08:06 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 07/01/2011 00:07, Mizter T wrote:

On Jan 6, 11:29 pm, Tom wrote:

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, D7666 wrote:
then after that there is J6 which brings in a new working timetable
along with unscrewed traction packs.

That sounds like what they tried on the Central line back in 2003.

Still, worth taking a Chance(ry Lane) on.

I wouldn't Bank on it working.

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old January 7th 11, 08:52 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 12:48:27 -0800 (PST)
G1206 wrote:
should the speed fall, unlike on the Central line that I notice is
driven by only using acceleration and braking without coasting in a
constant power-brake-power-brake-power state.

Yes, the central line ATO is exceptionally crude. I'm amazed the software was
signed off to be honest.

B2003

Old January 7th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 13:35:21 -0800 (PST)
D7666 wrote:
On Jan 6, 8:48=A0pm, G1206 wrote:

In comparison to the Central and Victoria line systems, the Jubilee
ATO drives the train at a very humble and civilised pace,

I believe that pre-ATO the 1996 stock (and Northern 1995s) were
restricted to 60-70% power - now that ATO is in operation have they
been let off their leashes? It was difficult to notice any significant
acceleration/braking difference.

You are correct.

Have they done it on the northern yet? Last time I rode on it up to finchley
I was wondering if it was going to even make it up the slope from highgate.
If the braking is up to the job then why don't they just let them run on
full power?

B2003

Old January 7th 11, 09:26 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 5, 1:24*pm, 1506 wrote:

A step forward indeed. *Does this mean that Met. and Jubilee trains
will no longer be able to use the other's track during an emergency?

The connections between the two lines at Finchley |Road were taken out
of use some time ago and have since been dismantled, so no.

Old January 7th 11, 10:10 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jan 7, 10:26*am, StuartJ wrote:
On Jan 5, 1:24*pm, 1506 wrote:

A step forward indeed. *Does this mean that Met. and Jubilee trains
will no longer be able to use the other's track during an emergency?

The connections between the two lines at Finchley |Road were taken out
of use some time ago and have since been dismantled, so no.

Back in the day, I can recall that facilitie being utilized. It would
have been in the 1970s.

Jubilee Line ATO Mizter T London Transport 0 January 4th 11 09:17 PM
Jubilee ATO Joe[_2_] London Transport 0 February 25th 09 10:06 AM
How can you have a signal failure on an ATO system? Boltar London Transport 20 September 5th 07 05:48 AM