London Banter

-   -   Oxford to London commute - ridiculous?? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11722-oxford-london-commute-ridiculous.html)

Manoonga85 January 26th 11 10:18 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

Hi all,

I'm new here but I hope someone can help me decide if this is a ridiculous suggestion or not!

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not like I live near Paddington anyway.

The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it through!

Has anyone experience of this and how tiring/horrific it actually might be??

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

Adrian January 26th 11 02:35 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

Manoonga85 gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr
the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it
through!

As well as the trains, http://www.oxfordtube.com/ coaches are a common
sight on the M40.

Graham Harrison[_2_] January 26th 11 02:50 PM

--
Manoonga85

It's an hour give or take on the train to Paddington. I have to say I
would think twice about it. But then how long does it take him now and
does he get a seat? Once he gets used to the trains he'll probably
discover which ones he can get a seat on.

I suppose you could split the difference and live in Didcot or Reading but
neither is particularly attractive when compared to the dreaming spires.
Mind you, Oxford isn't all University - Blackbird Leas (Lees?) isn't
attractive. If you can afford it go to somewhere like Goring and
Streatley. The journey time to London is still about an hour but lifestyle
wise there's no contest in my view.

Paul Terry[_2_] January 26th 11 03:16 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

In message , Manoonga85
writes

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

If you currently live within easy reach of Hillingdon, there are VERY
frequent coach services between there and the centre of Oxford, run by
the Oxford Tube and the Oxford Espress. Takes about an hour, and much
cheaper than the train via Paddington.
--
Paul Terry

Mizter T January 26th 11 03:33 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

[original thread on uk.transport.london]
[cross-posted to uk.railway]

"Manoonga85" wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here but I hope someone can help me decide if this is a
ridiculous suggestion or not!

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr
the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it
through!

Has anyone experience of this and how tiring/horrific it actually might
be??

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks so much!!

I'm going to take the liberty of crossposting this to the uk.railway
newsgroup - I'm not sure if that's a sensible move or not on my part, but it
just might be a way of getting a bit more of an input with regards to the
Oxford-Paddington element.

First off I'll make the requisite reference to the two high-quality frequent
coach services that run between Oxford and London, the Oxford Tube
http://www.oxfordtube.com/ and the Oxford Espress
http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=27.

They're good, very popular, and have various arguable advantages over the
train - however as the Oxford Tube website states, "Approximate travel time
100 minutes - longer during rush hours" - and I do get the impression that
congestion is a problem at peak times. If I was thinking about this commute
(during 'normal' commuting times) I think like you (or rather your fella)
I'd be looking at the train. That said it's worth noting that people do
commute using these coach services (might even work ok if he has an early
start) - with some joining at Thornhill Park & Ride on the edge of Oxford
and also Lewknor, a village next to the M40 motorway (not sure about the
latest on parking issues at Lewknor, and it's possible that Thornhill P&R
might not be free forever, at least not for those travelling into London on
the coaches). Anyhow that's the coach option.

On the trains the service is provided by a mix of rather poxy 'Turbo' trains
and also more comfortable HSTs (which stands for high speed trains), which
you might recognise as 'Intercity 125s' (or might not!) - these are longer
trains so have more capacity. During peak commuting times HSTs provide the
bulk of the Oxford-Paddington fast service - you can see what type of train
is supposed to run a particular service by looking for the "H" symbol (in a
circle) in the timetable booklet - the timetable you want is number 16, and
it's available as a PDF he
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=5190

He'd be joining a large throng of people making the journey from Paddington
to the City - normal route would be via the Circle or H&C line towards
Moorgate or wherever, an alternative is walking around the corner from
Paddington to Lancaster Gate tube station and then catching the Central Line
eastwards, though that's going to be pretty busy too. Or else cycle - either
hire a 'Boris Bike' (though again they'll be in demand from docking stations
near Paddington), get a fold-up bike, or permanently station a bike at
Paddington (note that the bike racks there are pretty well patronised too).

Certainly worth giving it proper consideration. Don't think I could hack it,
but there are many people out there doing longer commutes. (I very vaguely
know someone who does the reverse commute - from London to Oxford - which
they do by coach, but it's a somewhat different kettle of fish as it's both
contra-peak flow and they only do it three days a week.)

Neil Williams January 26th 11 03:44 PM

On Jan 26, 5:33*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:

Certainly worth giving it proper consideration. Don't think I could hack it,
but there are many people out there doing longer commutes. (I very vaguely
know someone who does the reverse commute - from London to Oxford - which
they do by coach, but it's a somewhat different kettle of fish as it's both
contra-peak flow and they only do it three days a week.)

I've done MK/Bletchley to near Tower Bridge which at most times is
near enough 2 hours door to door. Didn't have a major issue with it
except when the railway went through a bad patch and cancellations/
short formations were common.

Oxford is a slightly longer journey, but I'm not sure I'd write it
off. Though I'm fairly sure I would do it by train, not coach[1],
unless money was the only consideration.

[1] I have done it by coach once, as I had to stay over one night at
the John Radcliffe hospital for a sleep study and the coach passed
nearby. It was workable, but *slow*, and needed an early start,
though I forget exactly what time it was. I think the time to get up
involved 05xx, which is not something I like to do every day.

Neil

Mizter T January 26th 11 03:46 PM

"Manoonga85" wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here but I hope someone can help me decide if this is a
ridiculous suggestion or not!

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

[snip]

First off I'll make the requisite reference to the two high-quality
frequent coach services that run between Oxford and London, the Oxford
Tube http://www.oxfordtube.com/ and the Oxford Espress
http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=27.
[big snip]

As Paul Terry has quite rightly pointed out (on the utl version of this
thread), both Oxford coach services stop at Hillingdon (both ways), which is
of course in NW London. (Indeed I've done this myself once - obviously
losing my marbles!)

Only downside to this arrangement is that somewhat inexplicably there's no
bus shelter for the Oxford-bound coach stop - and there's no other
sheltering opportunities nearby either. That's something that really could
do with being remedied.

Mizter T January 26th 11 03:52 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

"Paul Terry" wrote:

In message , Manoonga85
writes

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

If you currently live within easy reach of Hillingdon, there are VERY
frequent coach services between there and the centre of Oxford, run by the
Oxford Tube and the Oxford Espress. Takes about an hour, and much cheaper
than the train via Paddington.

Embarrassed to say I overlooked this option in my reply - I think I'd sort
of taken it that the OP had half-settled on the move to Oxford so I only
really considered the journey in the other direction.

StuartJ January 26th 11 03:56 PM

"Manoonga85" wrote:
[...]

I would say Hillingdon is west London, not NW - if the OP actually
lives in (say) Stanmore it would be rather a long way away.

Stuart J

Theo Markettos January 26th 11 03:56 PM

In uk.transport.london Mizter T wrote:
I'm going to take the liberty of crossposting this to the uk.railway
newsgroup - I'm not sure if that's a sensible move or not on my part, but
it just might be a way of getting a bit more of an input with regards to
the Oxford-Paddington element.

It might also be worth pointing out that there's another route to Oxford
currently at the planning permission stage, using the line to Bicester then
a new junction joining the Chiltern line to Marylebone:
http://www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk/

I don't know the latest timescales on the project, but it's probably a few
years off opening.

They're good, very popular, and have various arguable advantages over the
train - however as the Oxford Tube website states, "Approximate travel time
100 minutes - longer during rush hours" - and I do get the impression that
congestion is a problem at peak times. If I was thinking about this commute
(during 'normal' commuting times) I think like you (or rather your fella)
I'd be looking at the train. That said it's worth noting that people do
commute using these coach services (might even work ok if he has an early
start) - with some joining at Thornhill Park & Ride on the edge of Oxford
and also Lewknor, a village next to the M40 motorway (not sure about the
latest on parking issues at Lewknor, and it's possible that Thornhill P&R
might not be free forever, at least not for those travelling into London on
the coaches). Anyhow that's the coach option.

I don't know the Tube/Espress specifically[1], but often buses into London are
reasonably quick until the end of the motorway, then spend an age faffing
about to get to Victoria. For example Cambridge buses take about an hour to
get down the M11 to Stratford, then another hour from there to Victoria.
Depending on where he works in London, it might be worth bailing at
Hillingdon or Baker St (say) then taking the tube (or cycling).

[1] Neither give times for intermediate stops on their websites

Theo

[email protected] January 26th 11 03:57 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:52:32 -0000
"Mizter T" wrote:
Embarrassed to say I overlooked this option in my reply - I think I'd sort
of taken it that the OP had half-settled on the move to Oxford so I only
really considered the journey in the other direction.

Anyone commuting to london from oxford by coach in the rush hour needs their
head examining. The queues on the A40 are legendary and thats before you
hit the solid central london traffic.

Coaches should be left to skint students.

B2003

Mizter T January 26th 11 04:04 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

"Neil Williams" wrote:
[MK-Bletchley commute]
Oxford is a slightly longer journey, but I'm not sure I'd write it
off. Though I'm fairly sure I would do it by train, not coach[1],
unless money was the only consideration.

[1] I have done it by coach once, as I had to stay over one night at
the John Radcliffe hospital for a sleep study and the coach passed
nearby. It was workable, but *slow*, and needed an early start,
though I forget exactly what time it was. I think the time to get up
involved 05xx, which is not something I like to do every day.

Just to be clear, you used it from Oxford to London then? Just curious about
how an early start meshed with the sleep study!

Neil Williams January 26th 11 04:19 PM

On Jan 26, 6:04*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:

Just to be clear, you used it from Oxford to London then?

Yep.

Just curious about
how an early start meshed with the sleep study!

I told them about it and they didn't mind, it was to see if I had
sleep apnoea (turned out I don't though it is a rather complicated
story!) so they only needed a couple of hours solid sleep to do it.

Neil

Richard Fairhurst[_2_] January 26th 11 04:20 PM

Mizter T wrote:
Certainly worth giving it proper consideration.

Definitely. I commuted from Charlbury (two stops beyond Oxford) to
London for a while, and the train was a delight as long as you didn't
get too worked up by FGW's occasional infelicities. Comfortable train,
no problem getting a seat, and plenty fast enough. FGW appear to be
going through a rough patch punctuality-wise at the moment but are
generally copable with.

It was the cross-London journey that did for it for me - I can't stand
the tube and cycling round Hyde Park Corner was no fun either. But if
you're more used to London commuting you may not find this an issue.

Richard

Mizter T January 26th 11 04:27 PM

On Jan 26, 4:56 pm, StuartJ wrote:

On Jan 26, 4:46 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
[big snip]
As Paul Terry has quite rightly pointed out (on the utl version of this
thread), both Oxford coach services stop at Hillingdon (both ways),
which is
of course in NW London. (Indeed I've done this myself once - obviously
losing my marbles!)

Only downside to this arrangement is that somewhat inexplicably there's
no
bus shelter for the Oxford-bound coach stop - and there's no other
sheltering opportunities nearby either. That's something that really
could
do with being remedied.

I would say Hillingdon is west London, not NW - if the OP actually
lives in (say) Stanmore it would be rather a long way away.

Very fair point - a combination of the lack of geographical anchorage of the
Tube 'map' (which I'm always preaching against trusting in this regard!),
the expansive nature of the NW postcode area versus the W (neither of which
of course stretch out anything as far as Hillingdon, but I mentally extend
them out when divvying up the metropolis into compass points), and the fact
that the M40 heads to points north west (such as Oxford) just makes me
rather sloppily place it in north west London in my mind - but I stand duly
corrected.

Mizter T January 26th 11 04:32 PM

"Mizter T" wrote:
Embarrassed to say I overlooked this option in my reply - I think I'd sort
of taken it that the OP had half-settled on the move to Oxford so I only
really considered the journey in the other direction.

Anyone commuting to london from oxford by coach in the rush hour needs
their
head examining. The queues on the A40 are legendary and thats before you
hit the solid central london traffic.

Once you take your comprehension classes you'll realise we were actually
talking about travelling *from* London (well Hillingdon) *to* Oxford here.

Mizter T January 26th 11 04:49 PM

"Theo Markettos" wrote:

In uk.transport.london Mizter T wrote:
I'm going to take the liberty of crossposting this to the uk.railway
newsgroup - I'm not sure if that's a sensible move or not on my part, but
it just might be a way of getting a bit more of an input with regards to
the Oxford-Paddington element.

It might also be worth pointing out that there's another route to Oxford
currently at the planning permission stage, using the line to Bicester
then
a new junction joining the Chiltern line to Marylebone:
http://www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk/

I don't know the latest timescales on the project, but it's probably a few
years off opening.

Yes - didn't mention it as it's not happening imminently, but perhaps a
reassurance in the longer term in terms of Oxford's connectivity to London.
(Interesting to note discussion in another uk.r thread over how DB, owners
of Chiltern, supposedly took fright of the Evergreen 3 project and tried to
back away from it, but apparently it's all locked-in contractually
speaking.)

[...]

Hillingdon to say Moorgate (for the City) on the Metropolitan line is itself
a bit of a schlep, taking almost an hour. As you suggest, if one was taking
the Espress and heading to the City I imagine it'd be the done thing to bail
at Baker Street then take the Underground (or else find a hire bike) - if on
the Oxford Tube then one could bail out at Shepherd's Bush for the Central
line.

Mizter T January 26th 11 05:02 PM

"Richard Fairhurst" wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Certainly worth giving it proper consideration.

Definitely. I commuted from Charlbury (two stops beyond Oxford) to
London for a while, and the train was a delight as long as you didn't
get too worked up by FGW's occasional infelicities. Comfortable train,
no problem getting a seat, and plenty fast enough. FGW appear to be
going through a rough patch punctuality-wise at the moment but are
generally copable with.

It was the cross-London journey that did for it for me - I can't stand
the tube and cycling round Hyde Park Corner was no fun either. But if
you're more used to London commuting you may not find this an issue.

These days there's a well patronised cycle route which crosses right across
Hyde Park Corner from the NW to the SE sides (i.e. from Hyde Park through
Wellington Arch then across to Constitution Hill), replete with cycle phases
on the traffic lights.

Bevan Price[_4_] January 26th 11 05:52 PM

"Manoonga85" wrote:
[...]

Well, if the job has long term prospects, I would suggest that the least
stressful option would be to consider moving out of London and find
somewhere to live in or near Oxford. Although few places have really
cheap housing these days, Oxford should be less expensive than living in
London.

And if you like London "entertainments" etc., Oxford is close enough for
to make occasional day trips to London after you have finished work.

Bevan

Graham Harrison[_2_] January 26th 11 09:44 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

And if you like London "entertainments" etc., Oxford is close enough for
to make occasional day trips to London after you have finished work.

Bevan

That's true. I have a son living in Oxford and working just outside and he
seems to spend evenings in London on a regular basis. He seems to use both
buses and trains, I'm not sure what his criteria are for choosing one over
the other.

Alan[_4_] January 26th 11 10:02 PM

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

Well, if the job has long term prospects, I would suggest that the least
stressful option would be to consider moving out of London and find
somewhere to live in or near Oxford. Although few places have really cheap
housing these days, Oxford should be less expensive than living in London.

My mate used to live in Didcot and worked at Blackbird Leys in Oxford - the
drive up wasn't too bad in the morning and his occasional training courses
in Willesden were apparently easy enough to get to, either by train or by
car. A suitable compromise? It's not the most exciting of spots, I grant
you, but it seems like an OK place to live and Paddington's 45 mins away
with a train about every 10 mins in the peak.

Mizter T January 26th 11 11:11 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Jan 26, 10:44 pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

And if you like London "entertainments" etc., Oxford is close enough for
to make occasional day trips to London after you have finished work.

That's true. I have a son living in Oxford and working just outside and he
seems to spend evenings in London on a regular basis. He seems to
use both buses and trains, I'm not sure what his criteria are for choosing
one over the other.

If it's going to be a late one, or possibly involve an overnight stay
in the Great Wen, then the coach is quite likely the winner - the
Oxford Tube runs all night, whilst the Espress runs till pretty late
before taking a break for four hours in the midst of the night. Worth
noting that all return fares are valid the next day as well (there's a
3 month period return too). Meanwhile last train from Paddington to
Oxford is at 0022, which is still pretty good (and it's not some all
shacks stopper either).

Timetables...
http://www.oxfordtube.com/tubetimes.php
http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=28

Price wise the coach wins at GBP16 day/next-day return (both OxTube &
Espress), until you introduce a Railcard discount which actually makes
an off-peak return by train a smidgeon cheaper (both Day & period
return) - though on both the Espress and OxTube there are 12 trip
carnet tickets priced at GBP 70/72, so that works out at either GBP 6
or just under for each single trip. Further complicating factors
include a bundled Off-peak Day Travelcard being available for a pound
extra when using a Railcard, and whether or not either the outward or
return journeys might be taking place during the weekday morning peak.

Neil Williams January 27th 11 06:29 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:11:21 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:
Espress), until you introduce a Railcard discount

The coaches have also offered Railcard (maybe only YP) in the past,
may still do.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

[email protected] January 27th 11 08:44 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

"Mizter T" wrote:
Embarrassed to say I overlooked this option in my reply - I think I'd sort
of taken it that the OP had half-settled on the move to Oxford so I only
really considered the journey in the other direction.

Anyone commuting to london from oxford by coach in the rush hour needs
their
head examining. The queues on the A40 are legendary and thats before you
hit the solid central london traffic.

Once you take your comprehension classes you'll realise we were actually
talking about travelling *from* London (well Hillingdon) *to* Oxford here.

From the original post:

"The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr
the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it
through!"

Sorry , what was that you were saying about comprehension?

B2003

Bruce[_2_] January 27th 11 09:46 AM

"Alan" wrote:
"Bevan Price" wrote in message
Well, if the job has long term prospects, I would suggest that the least
stressful option would be to consider moving out of London and find
somewhere to live in or near Oxford. Although few places have really cheap
housing these days, Oxford should be less expensive than living in London.

My mate used to live in Didcot and worked at Blackbird Leys in Oxford - the
drive up wasn't too bad in the morning and his occasional training courses
in Willesden were apparently easy enough to get to, either by train or by
car. A suitable compromise? It's not the most exciting of spots, I grant
you, but it seems like an OK place to live and Paddington's 45 mins away
with a train about every 10 mins in the peak.

Didcot is an absolutely disgusting 'chav town'. It certainly isn't
somewhere that professional people would choose to live.

The train service is good but the park and ride facility is poor. The
car park is distant from the station; in adverse weather, the exposed
walking route between the two is unpleasant. The car park quickly
fills up from the station end in the morning peak making the walk even
longer.

Avoid.

George January 27th 11 09:52 AM

"Mizter T" wrote:
Embarrassed to say I overlooked this option in my reply - I think I'd sort
of taken it that the OP had half-settled on the move to Oxford so I only
really considered the journey in the other direction.

Anyone commuting to london from oxford by coach in the rush hour needs their
head examining. The queues on the A40 are legendary and thats before you
hit the solid central london traffic.

Coaches should be left to skint students.

B2003

Perhaps we should have a team of shrinks on every Oxford Tube/Espress
coach into London then? Most users seem to be commuters not students.

In any case we were talking about going in the opposite direction, ie
London to Oxford in the morning.

[email protected] January 27th 11 09:59 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:41:00 -0000
"Mizter T" wrote:
Below is Paul Terry's reply - the OP says she doesn't think she could hack
the commute from London to Oxford as she doesn't live near Paddington, and
blah blah pendant pedant blah blah ...

Yaaaaaaawwwwnnnnnn ....

B2003

[email protected] January 27th 11 10:00 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 02:52:32 -0800 (PST)
George wrote:
Perhaps we should have a team of shrinks on every Oxford Tube/Espress
coach into London then? Most users seem to be commuters not students.

No doubt including you otherwise how would you know?

I doubt they travel all the way into central london unless they like
sitting in traffic jams. Sometimes paying extra for the train really
is worth it.

B2003

Mizter T January 27th 11 09:53 PM

George wrote:
Perhaps we should have a team of shrinks on every Oxford Tube/Espress
coach into London then? Most users seem to be commuters not students.

No doubt including you otherwise how would you know?

Well George does get around but not sure he's done London - Oxford or
even Oxford - London on a regular basis.

I doubt they travel all the way into central london unless they like
sitting in traffic jams. Sometimes paying extra for the train really
is worth it.

If people don't commute then I wonder why Stagecoach - not exactly known
for unnecessary largesse - provide wifi, free newspapers and breakfast
on board morning departures from Oxford to London. *They also offer
season tickets and will combine them with a London Travelcard for
regular travellers. I don't see that being a regular student purchase.

Far be it for me to correct an esteemed poster such as yourself...
well, actually I'm afraid that's exactly what I'm going to have to do!
The free breakfast unfortunately got dropped sometime last year (I
think) - the free newspapers remain (Independent only - but I dunno if
there was ever any choice?), as of course does the free wifi (the
competing Espress has that these days too) - see http://
www.oxfordtube.com/benefits.html.

I dunno about arrangements in the past for a combo Oxford Tube and
London Travelcard season ticket, but if that was once on offer it
ain't any more these days - but of course, these days most regular
commuters coming in to London on the Oxford Tube/Espress would in all
likelihood find Oyster PAYG more suitable for their onward LU journey
across London

Though none of that undermines you underlying point - the £1,160
annual or £2,120 biennial season tickets offered by Oxford Tube aren't
likely to be a regular student purchase (though I guess a postgrad or
two might have bought them).

While I don't disagree with you that train commuting may be more viable
or that the M40 / A40 might resemble hell in the rush hour that doesn't
mean people do not use the coaches. * Oxford - London is a rare example
of coaches having really grown the market for travel and where
competition does seem to keep both operators on their toes. *I'm not
sure that First Great Western care one jot because they're there to run
the franchise the government has specified come what may.

Agree with the essence of all that. I think, looking at the respective
coach and rail fares, it's possible to detect a subtle degree of
acknowledgement on the part of FGW to the existence of the coach
services in the way the rail fares are priced.

One interesting question that springs to mind (and I'm sure it's not
original) is whether or not the existence of the coach services might
have actually held back the development of the train service from
Oxford to London - on the one hand I can see an argument that it might
have done so (e.g. there would otherwise have been a greater clamour
for a better train service), whilst on the other hand one can
postulate that it wouldn't really have made much if any difference.

However I think one can certainly make an argument about the impact of
the coach link on Oxford - these ultra-frequent services have no doubt
been a factor when it comes to people making decisions about where to
live and work... which is where this thread began! (Though I rather
suspect we've all managed to scare off the OP!)

A couple of final thoughts... one (again hardly original) is to wonder
whether (and if so how) the new Chiltern Railways link from London to
Oxford might affect the viability of the coach services (some way off,
but ultimately I doubt it'd present a major challenge to the business
model). Second thought is to wonder whether the positive impression of
a really decent coach service might have rubbed off on a few of the
Oxbridge alumni who have (and yet will) go on to assume positions of
influence later in life, and whether there might be any 'Oxford Tube
effect' in the decisions they might help mould and make. Though
perhaps their memory is just of puking out the door at Lewknor Turn.

George January 28th 11 01:18 PM

George wrote:
Perhaps we should have a team of shrinks on every Oxford Tube/Espress
coach into London then? Most users seem to be commuters not students.

No doubt including you otherwise how would you know?

I doubt they travel all the way into central london unless they like
sitting in traffic jams. Sometimes paying extra for the train really
is worth it.

B2003

Well I was at Marble Arch around 18.00 the other day and most Oxford
Tubes heading out of town did look rather full, perhaps they were all
just very well dressed mature students on board? Likewise there are a
lot of 'mature students' commuting into Central London by coach from
North Kent, these services have the added bonus of serving Canary
Wharf en route.

[email protected] January 28th 11 01:34 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 06:18:39 -0800 (PST)
George wrote:
Well I was at Marble Arch around 18.00 the other day and most Oxford
Tubes heading out of town did look rather full, perhaps they were all
just very well dressed mature students on board? Likewise there are a
lot of 'mature students' commuting into Central London by coach from
North Kent, these services have the added bonus of serving Canary
Wharf en route.

Well there is a recession on. Needs must and so on...

Personally I'd have to be almost broke to commute on a long distance bus in
the rush hour into london.

B2003

Martin Petrov[_2_] January 28th 11 08:30 PM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr
the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it
through!

Has anyone experience of this and how tiring/horrific it actually might
be??

While I most of the advantages/disadvantages have been laid out, and I've
no personal experience of the commute from Oxford to London, I *can* say
that I spent a good few years living in zone 2, and commuting out into
darkest Hertfordshire on a daily basis, and I greatly enjoyed travelling
on a completely empty train in both directions, able to stretch out in a
silent carriage, able to read a broadsheet paper, and drink my coffee
with almost no disturbance.

Also, travelling against the flow sometimes has the advantage of getting
better deals in terms of your season ticket - WAGN used to offer a 'flexi-
time' ticket, which meant you couldn't use it heading towards London
before 9:30 in the morning - so I saved quite a sizeable amount on a
regular season ticket.

So don't necessarily rule out trying to find a way to live in London and
work in Oxford - I'm guessing from your username that you're 25/26 years
old, and surely living in London at that age is likely to be MILES more
fun than living and working in Oxford?

As for your boyfriend and him travelling into London, I have a mate who
did the Oxford to Victoria 'tube' journey, and swore by it - though he
was able to doze on the coach.

Tom Anderson January 28th 11 09:43 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Manoonga85 wrote:

I currently live in NW London and have a job offer in Oxford. The job
would be better and I'm thinking I'd prefer the lifestyle over there. I
don't think I could hack the commute out to Oxford everyday, as it's not
like I live near Paddington anyway.

If you can get to Hillingdon, there are a couple of coach lines that call
there on their way from London to Oxford - the Oxford Tube and the Oxford
Espresso or something daft like that (used to be called the X90). When i
worked in Oxford (in Headington, specifically), i had a colleague who
commuted from London that way. Struck me as potty, but she did it.

The bf has said he's happy to commute from Oxford (providing we live nr
the station) to the City everyday, but I'm not sure he's thought it
through!

I commuted from Colchester to the South Bank for a while, and that was
fairly horrible. Oxford to the City, via Paddington, would be rather
worse, i think.

I suppose he could do the above route in reverse - coach to Headington,
Metropolitan line to work. That would probably take longer than
train/tube, but it might be less stressful. It should be substantially
cheaper.

Can you put the move off until after Crossrail is finished? :)

tom

--
megaptera novae angliae, soundwork chris draper, push, pull, open, ..

Roger Lynn[_2_] February 2nd 11 10:13 PM

On 26/01/11 16:56, Theo Markettos wrote:
In uk.transport.london Mizter T wrote:
I'm going to take the liberty of crossposting this to the uk.railway
newsgroup - I'm not sure if that's a sensible move or not on my part, but
it just might be a way of getting a bit more of an input with regards to
the Oxford-Paddington element.

It might also be worth pointing out that there's another route to Oxford
currently at the planning permission stage, using the line to Bicester then
a new junction joining the Chiltern line to Marylebone:
http://www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk/

I don't know the latest timescales on the project, but it's probably a few
years off opening.

It's meant to be opening at the end of 2013, and in the past Chiltern
have had a good record for finishing projects on time.

It's worth noting that many people who live near Oxford drive to
Bicester North and catch the train to Marylebone from there. These
trains should be getting 10 minutes faster from May.

Roger

Mortimer February 2nd 11 11:53 PM

"Roger Lynn" wrote in message
On 26/01/11 16:56, Theo Markettos wrote:
It might also be worth pointing out that there's another route to Oxford
currently at the planning permission stage, using the line to Bicester
then
a new junction joining the Chiltern line to Marylebone:
http://www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk/

I don't know the latest timescales on the project, but it's probably a
few
years off opening.

It's meant to be opening at the end of 2013, and in the past Chiltern
have had a good record for finishing projects on time.

It's worth noting that many people who live near Oxford drive to
Bicester North and catch the train to Marylebone from there. These
trains should be getting 10 minutes faster from May.

When the Bicester curve opens, how will the journey time from Oxford to
Marylebone compare with that from Oxford to Paddington via Didcot? How do
the distances compare, too?

I wonder what the effect will be on the existing Birmingham-Marylebone
service and other services that start closer to London? Does the line have
spare capacity for extra trains from Oxford, or will existing services have
fewer trains to accomodate the Oxford ones?

Paul Scott[_3_] February 3rd 11 10:25 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

"Mortimer" wrote in message
.. .
"Roger Lynn" wrote in message
[...]

The Chiltern route is expected to be 1h 6m, vs about 58/59m from Oxford to
Paddington. Haven't got the distances.

But the time from Water Eaton Parkway, is proposed to be the same 58m, which
they expect to be useful for many people from north of Oxford currently
driving to Oxford station's car park.

Paul S

[email protected] February 3rd 11 10:57 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

In article ,
(Mortimer) wrote:

When the Bicester curve opens, how will the journey time from
Oxford to Marylebone compare with that from Oxford to Paddington
via Didcot? How do the distances compare, too?

Competitive from North of Oxford (Islip?), slightly slower from Oxford
itself. So most attractive for Park and Ride from North Oxford and
environs.

I wonder what the effect will be on the existing
Birmingham-Marylebone service and other services that start closer
to London? Does the line have spare capacity for extra trains from
Oxford, or will existing services have fewer trains to accomodate
the Oxford ones?

I thought they had done some work to enhance capacity? This was the GW
Birmingham main line after all.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Bruce[_2_] February 3rd 11 11:01 AM

"Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mortimer" wrote in message
When the Bicester curve opens, how will the journey time from Oxford to
Marylebone compare with that from Oxford to Paddington via Didcot? How do
the distances compare, too?

The Chiltern route is expected to be 1h 6m, vs about 58/59m from Oxford to
Paddington. Haven't got the distances.

But the time from Water Eaton Parkway, is proposed to be the same 58m, which
they expect to be useful for many people from north of Oxford currently
driving to Oxford station's car park.

Within a few short years of the opening of the Chiltern route's Oxford
branch, the Paddington route will offer an interchange with Crossrail
(or perhaps even direct trains via Crossrail) against Chiltern's
interchange with the Bakerloo at Marylebone and with the Circle and
Metropolitan Lines at Baker Street.

I have a feeling that this will make the Paddington route
significantly more attractive than it is now.

81F February 3rd 11 11:24 AM

On Feb 3, 12:01*pm, Bruce wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote:
"Mortimer" wrote in message
When the Bicester curve opens, how will the journey time from Oxford to
Marylebone compare with that from Oxford to Paddington via Didcot? How do
the distances compare, too?

The Chiltern route is expected to be 1h 6m, *vs about 58/59m from Oxford to
Paddington. *Haven't got the distances.

Trains from Oxford to Paddington are only 58/59 minutes in the daytime
weekdays; evening and weekend services are markedly slower [not
relevant to Mon-Fri commuters, but significant to Oxonians who want to
visit London at the weekend]. Sunday "fasts" take 68/69 minutes, only
run hourly, and the first up train is scheduled to leave Oxford at
0950, arriving Paddington at 1058. Engineering works often mean you
don't get to London before lunchtime.

Chiltern won't be able to run long trains from Oxford -- I think their
platform will be 5 cars max -- but they will get a fair load of
commuters from the Park'n'ride on weekdays, and have potential to get
a lot of weekend leisure passngers who have long been disenchanted
with FGW's poor schedules and ageing turbos.

Paul Scott[_3_] February 3rd 11 11:38 AM

Oxford to London commute - ridiculous??

wrote in message
In article ,
(Mortimer) wrote:
I wonder what the effect will be on the existing
Birmingham-Marylebone service and other services that start closer
to London? Does the line have spare capacity for extra trains from
Oxford, or will existing services have fewer trains to accomodate
the Oxford ones?

I thought they had done some work to enhance capacity? This was the GW
Birmingham main line after all.

The capacity gain seems to be mostly from additional loops at Princes
Risborough and Northholt Jn, and then by running Class 172s on local
stoppers as far as Gerrrards Cross, allowing them to be avoid conflicts with
faster trains, and AIUI there is also some alteration to service patterns
with fewer trains terminating at Bicester North or Banbury.

In any case, the originally proposed timetables including the Oxford service
are all online for comparison, :

http://tinyurl.com/6jvr6zt

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6jvr6zt

Paul S