Old February 12th 11, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whats up with the Met line these days?

wrote:
On 12/02/2011 02:02, Jack Taylor wrote:

I was referring to the 'in town' section, specifically Baker Street
to Aldgate.

What about the points just east of KXSP?

True - but not regularly used during the peaks because of the chaos that it
causes to the service, reversing a train from the east to the westbound
track.

Old February 13th 11, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 02:01:05 -0000
"Jack Taylor" wrote:
AFAIK they lifted it near farringdon to build that works ramp but last
time I was at Barbican - which admittedly was about 6 months back -
it was all still in situ. Perhaps thats changed, though the scrap
value of the track surely can't be worth the hassle of lifting it now
theres no rail connection to that branch.

It's still there and the westbound line has now had all manner of detritus
dumped on it, including the monitors that used to be on the platforms.

Sounds like vandals have got in. How much of a loser do you have to be to
entertain yourself by climbing onto a railway and smashing stuff up?

Still, why NR left perfectly working monitors behind is anyones guess I
suppose.

B2003

Old February 14th 11, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 14:03:29 -0000
"Jack Taylor" wrote:
Sounds like vandals have got in. How much of a loser do you have to
be to entertain yourself by climbing onto a railway and smashing
stuff up?

No, it's clearly been stripped by contractors and dumped in the four foot to
await collection and disposal. Some of the stuff is bagged up in cubic metre
bags, it's just the bigger stuff like the CRT monitors, signalling
equipment, pieces of catenary and some sections of rail (cut into shorter
lengths) that have been left loose.

Fair enough. Seems a pity they decided not to re-use the equipment or at
least keep it in a state whereby it could be stored for possibly future use.

B2003

Old February 17th 11, 03:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 14, 8:38*pm, wrote:
Sounds like vandals have got in. How much of a loser do you have to
be to entertain yourself by climbing onto a railway and smashing
stuff up?

No, it's clearly been stripped by contractors and dumped in the four foot to
await collection and disposal. Some of the stuff is bagged up in cubic metre
bags, it's just the bigger stuff like the CRT monitors, signalling
equipment, pieces of catenary and some sections of rail (cut into shorter
lengths) that have been left loose.

Fair enough. Seems a pity they decided not to re-use the equipment or at
least keep it in a state whereby it could be stored for possibly future use.

I'm not sure there's much you can do with a CRT monitor[*] or a
random assortment of early-20th-century signalling equipment, though.
I assume the metal stuff will be sold for scrap (after all, if it's
worth scrotes' while to nick it, then it's got to be worth NR's while
to sell it).
[*] at least, from the number of presumably-functional CRT monitors
and TVs I see left out on the street. Fairly sure the residual value
of any CRT-based display unit is now zero...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org