Old February 15th 11, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
max max is offline

Default no coverage in the tube

why there's no mobile coverage within the tube? I tried to call a friend but
unsuccessfully.

Old February 15th 11, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(max) wrote:

why there's no mobile coverage within the tube? I tried to call a
friend but unsuccessfully.

I think the Laws of Physics have something to do with it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 15th 11, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 07:19:38
on Tue, 15 Feb 2011, remarked:

why there's no mobile coverage within the tube? I tried to call a
friend but unsuccessfully.

I think the Laws of Physics have something to do with it.

It's the law of "trying to get someone else to pay for the
installation".
Old February 15th 11, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:42:03 on
Tue, 15 Feb 2011, Mizter T remarked:

why there's no mobile coverage within the tube? I tried to call a
friend but unsuccessfully.

I think the Laws of Physics have something to do with it.

It's the law of "trying to get someone else to pay for the installation".

Do you mean LU trying to get someone other than themselves to pay? If
so, damn right - LU shouldn't pay for such provision.

The reverse wasn't it? LU paying to have the infrastructure fitted so
they could talk to train drivers, and the public also using it being a
bonus.

Previous discussions have all revolved around the installation of BTSs
at stations only, and not in the running tunnels which would just add
an enormous extra layer of complexity and cost for little return (I'm
thinking of the deep-level tube tunnels in particular here).

They've managed it in the HEx tunnels.
Old February 15th 11, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"max" wrote in message

why there's no mobile coverage within the tube? I tried to call a friend
but unsuccessfully.

It's because

1) *y o u a r e u n d e r g r o u n d* and there are usually at least a
few yards of earth between you and the mast, also

2) People don't want to hear you shouting, "I AM ON THE TRAIN" over the
racket of a tube train so no-one is going to go to the expense of enabling
it.

Suggest you

1) Learn a little patience, or

2) Travel WITH the friend, so you can talk to them properly, and (anyway)

3) Get a f*cking life.

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Old February 15th 11, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Brian Watson
writes

It's because

1) *y o u a r e u n d e r g r o u n d* and there are usually at least a
few yards of earth between you and the mast, also

2) People don't want to hear you shouting, "I AM ON THE TRAIN" over the
racket of a tube train so no-one is going to go to the expense of enabling
it.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of phones users who shout down
their mobiles "Hello, hello! Can't you hear me?" as the Piccadilly
plunges down to the depths after Baron's Court. I guess they never
studied physics.
--
Paul Terry
Old February 15th 11, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes
LU paying to have the infrastructure fitted so they could talk to
train drivers, and the public also using it being a bonus.

Drivers on the Victoria line could talk to control via the juice rails
in 67, I would have thought that it would have been universal by now.
--
Clive