Old March 2nd 11, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Journey History

My last top-up was 85p (for Vauxhall-Putney last night).

You are of course entitled to do that if the ticket office allow it. And
you are saving yourself money: assuming you can invest with a return of
10% after tax[1] then letting your Oyster card carry an average balance
of £2.50 wd cost you a whole 25 pence a year.

But the costs in terms of staff time + overheads of your topping up by
such tiny amounts must be exorbitant and - as I am sure you know -
patently defeat the purpose of Oyster PAYG fares being lower than cash
fares. Those are of course social rather than individual costs[2].
That's why I would urge and support the full imposition of a minimum £5
top-up.

[1] if you can please tell me where
[2] OTOH you might also want to factor in the personal cost of the risk
of being assaulted by persons behind you in the queue on realising they
have missed their train due you insisting on topping up by such a small
amount

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old March 2nd 11, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I wonder what the rationale is there - I had been pondering that it
was some sort of systems issue (that I couldn't quite decipher), but
actually I wonder if it might not be more of a safeguard to ensure
that those who have access to an Oyster card's journey history really
are the bona fide holder of said card. Something to scratch my head
over...

I always thought it something to do with the online Oyster ticketing being
operated by a third party, e.g. Keith Prowse or somebody like that, and
their only being able offer the journey history to their own customers. No
idea how I formed that impression though and I imagine it will turn out to
be a load of drivel.

Old March 2nd 11, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:31:44 on
Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Nicola Redwood
remarked:
I don't think I've ever managed to get the journey history online and I tend
to topup online more than I do offline

Topping up online is what triggers the availability of journey history
online. I have no idea why you haven't followed one with the other.

Old March 2nd 11, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:34:54 on Wed, 2
Mar 2011, Robin remarked:
My last top-up was 85p (for Vauxhall-Putney last night).

You are of course entitled to do that if the ticket office allow it. And
you are saving yourself money: assuming you can invest with a return of
10% after tax[1] then letting your Oyster card carry an average balance
of £2.50 wd cost you a whole 25 pence a year.

But the costs in terms of staff time + overheads of your topping up by
such tiny amounts must be exorbitant and - as I am sure you know -
patently defeat the purpose of Oyster PAYG fares being lower than cash
fares.

Unfortunately Colin is rather fond of unsustainable public transport
usage, like dragging his bike with him everywhere. It's OK if 1% of
passengers do that, but isn't an example that anyone could possibly
encourage as the norm.
Old March 2nd 11, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 20:31:44 on Wed,
2 Mar 2011, Nicola Redwood remarked:
I don't think I've ever managed to get the journey history online and I
tend
to topup online more than I do offline

Topping up online is what triggers the availability of journey history
online. I have no idea why you haven't followed one with the other.

Will be topping up online soon, so will see what happens as it's a while
since I've needed to

I currently have an annual Oyster travelcard, but sometimes need to go out
of zone for work, hence I usually have some PAYG on there as well

Old March 3rd 11, 06:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 20:34:54 +0000, Robin wrote:

[2] OTOH you might also want to factor in the personal cost of the risk
of being assaulted by persons behind you in the queue on realising they
have missed their train due you insisting on topping up by such a small
amount

If they're in that much of a hurry to get a train, what would they be
doing in the newsagents in the first place...?
Old March 3rd 11, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:09:41 on
Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Nicola Redwood
remarked:
Will be topping up online soon, so will see what happens as it's a while
since I've needed to

Remember to ask for the journey history to be activated as well (which
should happen as soon as you collect the top-up).