Old December 21st 03, 12:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Metropolian Line question

In the 1950's I lived in North Harrow and think the Met had only two tracks
running between Harrow on the Hill and Moor Park and beyond. A recent photo
shows a second set of lines on the south west side of the station.

Clive's UndergrounD Guides web pages say "Traffic on the Metropolitan was
heavy enough that it was quadrupled from Finchley Road to Kilburn in 1913,
Wembley Park in 1915, Harrow in 1932, Northwood Hills in 1961, and
Croxleyhall Junction (north of Moor Park) in 1962." I am right in
understanding this to mean that the second pair of lines were built in 1961.

Does any one have information on this second set and/or any images of their
construction.

TIA Dave Rowsell Lower Hutt NZ

Old December 21st 03, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Dave Rowsell" wrote in message ...
In the 1950's I lived in North Harrow and think the Met had only two tracks
running between Harrow on the Hill and Moor Park and beyond. A recent photo
shows a second set of lines on the south west side of the station.

Clive's UndergrounD Guides web pages say "Traffic on the Metropolitan was
heavy enough that it was quadrupled from Finchley Road to Kilburn in 1913,
Wembley Park in 1915, Harrow in 1932, Northwood Hills in 1961, and
Croxleyhall Junction (north of Moor Park) in 1962." I am right in
understanding this to mean that the second pair of lines were built in 1961.

Does any one have information on this second set and/or any images of their
construction.

TIA Dave Rowsell Lower Hutt NZ

Yes, that would be correct. The Met "Mainline" was electrified as far
as Amersham. Met services where cut back to Amersham and run fast to
Moor Park, on the fast pair. Watfort trains stop at all stations to
Moor park on the slow pair.

Adrian, Anahiem, CA, US
Old December 21st 03, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Adrian Hudson" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The line was electrified to Harrow (and on to Uxbridge) in1905, and from
Harrow to Rickmansworth in 1925 (which was also the year the Watford branch
was opened. Until 1960/61 trains for Chesham, Amersham and Aylesbury were
hauled by an electric loco to Rickmansworth, where this was changed for a
steam loco. After that, electric multiple-units were used, but did not run
beyond Amersham, and the line on to Aylesbury was served by diesel trains
from Marylebone.

Peter

Old December 21st 03, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Dave Rowsell" wrote in message
In the 1950's I lived in North Harrow and think the Met had only two

tracks
running between Harrow on the Hill and Moor Park and beyond. A recent

photo
shows a second set of lines on the south west side of the station.

That could of course have been the BR (ex-GCR) lines. South of and including
Harrow-on-the-Hill they are on the south-western side of the formation,
giving Harrow three island platforms (from south to north Marylebone
down/up, Met down and Met up). I can't remember whether this arrangement
continues north of Harrow Junction.

Clive's UndergrounD Guides web pages say "Traffic on the Metropolitan

was
heavy enough that it was quadrupled from Finchley Road to Kilburn in

1913,
Wembley Park in 1915, Harrow in 1932, Northwood Hills in 1961, and
Croxleyhall Junction (north of Moor Park) in 1962." I am right in
understanding this to mean that the second pair of lines were built in

1961.

Does any one have information on this second set and/or any images of

their
construction.

Sorry, no images, but the dates would be right, co-inciding roughly with the
intoduction of the A59 and A60 stock (IIRC, "A" for Amersham and the years
'59 and '60). Not sure if the reference to "second pair" of lines is
strictly correct. Certainly the Met south of Harrow is paired by direction
(very efficient use of space, with the slows in the middle, because you can
use a single island platform where there are no fast platforms, as at
Northwick Park for instance, and one island for each direction where fast
trains stop, Harrow for instance). I think this continues north of Harrow,
but I can't remember exactly. So I would guess that quadrupling was achieved
by a new track on each side, BICBW.

Stopping pattern for the fast Amershams was Finchley Road,
Harrow-on-the-Hill, Moor Park, then all stations - is it still? The
indicators at Finchley Road always used to have facilities to indicate a
train that didn't stop at Harrow-on-the-Hill, though I've never seen this in
use - have any trains ever missed the Harrow stop in regular service?

[OT] Many years ago I used to drink with a work colleague whose standard
excuse for not buying his round was "must catch the last fast Amersham", and
I've never felt quite the same about the line since.

Regards

Jonathan

Old December 21st 03, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Jonathan Morton" wrote in message

[...]

Between Harrow and Moor Park the lines are paired by use, southern pair are
the fast lines, used by Amersham/ Chesham fasts, and by Chiltern Railways
Aylesbury trains, and the northern pair are used by stopping trains to
Watford (and occasionally Amersham). At least at Northwood, the slow lines
were new with new platforms, while the original tracks became the fast
lines, and the original down platform was abandoned. The original up
platform had a wall built along its original platform face, and a new face
built the other side as the new down (slow) platform - Photo in 'London and
its Railways' by r Davies and M D Grant.

In the 1960s there were peak hour trains which ran fast from Finchley Road
to Moor Park, as well as some Watfords which were fast Finchley Road to
North Harrow, and some Uxbridge which were fast from Finchley Road to
Rayners Lane, all of these running through Harrow without stopping. I think
that, at that time, peak trains to Harrow all called at Wembley Park,
Preston Road and Northwick Park.

Peter

Old December 21st 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
JGG JGG is offline

"Jonathan Morton" wrote in message

Snip

Stopping pattern for the fast Amershams was Finchley Road,
Harrow-on-the-Hill, Moor Park, then all stations - is it still? The
indicators at Finchley Road always used to have facilities to indicate a
train that didn't stop at Harrow-on-the-Hill, though I've never seen this

in
use - have any trains ever missed the Harrow stop in regular service?

Snip
Regards

Jonathan

That's still the stopping pattern, although some now stop at Wembley Park as
well. Passengers at Wembley Park are often not told of the stop and as it
is on the Westbound "fast" platform they stand frustrated on the Westbound
"slow" platform (sorry don't know the numbers!).

There used to be a Fast Chesham which didn't stop at Harrow-on-the-Hill,
going through platform 1 at Harrow-on-the-Hill around 18:00. That must have
been over 10 years ago though. There may have been others, but there
certainly aren't any now.

John.

Old December 21st 03, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , Peter Masson
writes

"Adrian Hudson" wrote in message
om...
"Dave Rowsell" wrote in message

.. .
[...]

I remember the engine being changed at Rickmansworth when we went on
holiday to my grandparents in Kent.

--
Five Cats
Email to: cats_spam at uk2 dot net
Old December 21st 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , Peter Masson
writes

[...]

There were some peak hour trains in the late 60's which might have
stopped once between Chorleywood & Marylebone. Certainly I had to make
sure I didn't get on them to go to school in Rickmansworth...

(of course these were BR not Met trains).

There were also a few through trains to Chesham in the peak hour, but
usually one had to change, I think at Chalfont & Latimer.

Old December 21st 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

They briefly revived the practise of running trains non stop from Moor Park
to Finchley Road in the very late eighties for a year or so in rush hours.
The Harrow stop was restored after mass protests (including myself)

For the last 3 or 4 years, fast amersham trains stop at wembley park at off
peak times only.

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Jonathan Morton" wrote in

message