Old March 10th 11, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster ticketing developments

"Mizter T" wrote in message

"Roland Perry" wrote:

In message , at 12:54:32
on Tue, 8 Mar 2011, David Cantrell remarked:

Which actually raises a more interesting point - how may people will be
commuting on [capped] PAYG anyway, rather than a season ticket?

I can imagine shift patterns and part-time working that would make it
make sense. Obviously this would only apply to a small minority of
people, but that could still easily be tens of thousands of people.

If it's a minority, then there's no objection to the system showing every
charge and refund (for a proper audit trail). That's all we were asking
for.

I think we've clearly established that this 'pay and wave' scheme is not
going to operate on the basis of an 'entry charge' and subsequent refund
(ala Oyster), rather all the journey data will be collated after the event
and then the appropriate sum charged to the card. What kind of audit trail
will be on offer is not yet clear.

Having just picked up my copy of MR and read the article in question (which
I think was the reason for the thread in the first place).

It quite clearly says:

"it has been agreed that each tap on the reader will have zero value and the
back office will calculate the charge at the end of the day."

It also says that they expect "use of bank cards to ramp up whilst oyster
ramps down" which implies to me that the long term plan is to completely
withdraw pay as you go oyster (and indeed that is what the sub title in the
contents says).

I'm surprised that those people who have had their copies of MR for 14 days
hadn't found these quotes before.

tim

Old March 10th 11, 04:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim...." wrote in message

Having just picked up my copy of MR and read the article in question
(which I think was the reason for the thread in the first place).

It quite clearly says:

"it has been agreed that each tap on the reader will have zero value and
the back office will calculate the charge at the end of the day."

I'm surprised that those people who have had their copies of MR for 14
days hadn't found these quotes before.

I did post about the zero value charge on the 25th. Too many posts already
by then for it to be noticed, I expect.

However the thread was started by Paul Corfield as a result of a TfL press
release, not the MR article...

Paul S

Old March 10th 11, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 10, 5:08*pm, "tim...." wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

I'm not one of those people alas - I've got a reputation for
uninformed comment to keep up after all...