Old December 24th 03, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PF evasion?

Just had a thought, so a RPI catches you without a ticket and issues
with a £10 PF.

You have no money to pay it, or at least you tell the RPI that you have
no money. They ask for your name and address and you give them false
details.

How can they chase you up?
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old December 24th 03, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Well I`m not sure about Blighty but I witnessed an RP Team in action on the
Airport Service from Nice to Centre Ville (Fare ?1.60).
The SIX inspectors VERY firmly dealt with two ticketless swarthy continental
types by firstly demanding to see their Identity Cards.....(Ausweis
Bitte..!).
When the lads were slow to reveal this sensitive document the word POLICE
was whispered loudly enough to cause a moments mature reflection whereupon
some Passports were produced.
The details were IMMEDIATELY noted down by the Senior Inspector on a recepit
book.( Making further resistance Fruitless).
Then the gentlemen were asked to part with ?36 EACH for not being in
posession of a ticket (Having a hooky or overidden Ticket merits a ?28
penalty).....
After some very theatrical pleading and shoulder shrugging and I suspect
being aware of the bus nearing the Airport Terminal and the dreaded
POLICE,our two entrepid fellows coughed up and left arguing loudly with each
other..
One VERY public demonstration of a Revenue Protection Policy that was noted
by everybody on that packed Bus.
Incidentally one Old Female Twirly did remonstrate with the Senior Inspector
who was having none of it.
He apologised to her for the delay and offered to hail a TAXI for her.
But since the Taxi driver was unlikely to accept her OAP pass she quickly
shut up and settled back to watch.
Anybody care to speculate if TfL will utilise the SUNBUS (Nice) Revenue
Protection Model...????

Old December 24th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Alek
writes
[...]

Well, that's as may be in France, but this is the UK. No requirement to
carry ID, and the law doesn't permit the RPI's to demand anything. If
they are not happy with the info you give then they could call the BTP
but that would hold up the train. If they tried to forcibly remove you
from the train that would be assault.

So, anyone know the answer?
Old December 24th 03, 10:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes

Well, that's as may be in France, but this is the UK. No requirement to
carry ID, and the law doesn't permit the RPI's to demand anything. If
they are not happy with the info you give then they could call the BTP
but that would hold up the train. If they tried to forcibly remove you
from the train that would be assault.

In fact, our RCIs do have the power of arrest; I've heard them
cautioning fare evaders.
--
Kat I've always wanted to be somebody. Next time I'll be more specific.

Old December 24th 03, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Alek
writes

snip.
Anybody care to speculate if TfL will utilise the SUNBUS (Nice)
Revenue Protection Model...????

Well, that's as may be in France, but this is the UK. No requirement
to carry ID, and the law doesn't permit the RPI's to demand anything.
If they are not happy with the info you give then they could call
the BTP but that would hold up the train. If they tried to forcibly
remove you from the train that would be assault.

Is that true? I would have thought that they were entitled to use
reasonable force to eject an unauthorised person from private property,
like bouncers in clubs or pubs.

--
Richard J.

Old December 25th 03, 06:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Kat
writes
In message , Andrew P Smith
writes

Well, that's as may be in France, but this is the UK. No requirement
to carry ID, and the law doesn't permit the RPI's to demand anything.
they are not happy with the info you give then they could call the BTP
but that would hold up the train. If they tried to forcibly remove you
from the train that would be assault.

In fact, our RCIs do have the power of arrest; I've heard them
cautioning fare evaders.

That's news to me Kat, since when? Issuing a caution and making an
arrest are 2 separate things.
Old December 25th 03, 06:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J.
writes
Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Alek
writes

snip.
Anybody care to speculate if TfL will utilise the SUNBUS (Nice)
Revenue Protection Model...????

Well, that's as may be in France, but this is the UK. No requirement
to carry ID, and the law doesn't permit the RPI's to demand anything.
If they are not happy with the info you give then they could call
the BTP but that would hold up the train. If they tried to forcibly
remove you from the train that would be assault.

Is that true? I would have thought that they were entitled to use
reasonable force to eject an unauthorised person from private property,
like bouncers in clubs or pubs.

I would take it as assault. Do you know if the law exists for an RPI to
forcibly remove someone from LUL property?
Old December 25th 03, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I suppose it`s somewhat akin to the Sun Never Setting on The Empire.....
One Day the "Thats as maybe in France" option will become the norm in Their
Majesty`s Dominions also.
Whats the betting that a National Universal Identity Card will be in use
within the next 5 years.
After the initial bout of high dudgeon and huffery many people will begin to
see some advantages to it,such as single document verification for ALL
official transactions including Oyster or Council Tax........ : )....!
Now...back to bed.....!!!!

Old December 25th 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes
In article , Kat
writes
In message , Andrew P Smith
writes

Well, that's as may be in France, but this is the UK. No requirement
to carry ID, and the law doesn't permit the RPI's to demand anything.
they are not happy with the info you give then they could call the
BTP but that would hold up the train. If they tried to forcibly
remove you from the train that would be assault.

In fact, our RCIs do have the power of arrest; I've heard them
cautioning fare evaders.

That's news to me Kat, since when? Issuing a caution and making an
arrest are 2 separate things.

I see what you mean but doesn't an a caution have to precede an arrest?
I realise BTP would actually have to take them away....
--
Kat "bears, said the taxi driver, is sixpence extra,

sticky bears is ninepence"