Old April 3rd 11, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Artic trains

Needed to get from Monument to Finsbury Park recently and so decided to
take my first ride on the new ELL. Somehow the fact that the trains were
artics had passed me by.... what a pleasant surprise! There is something
very cool about being in a long bendy corridor snaking its way between
the buildings.

Although I used to know the Underground like the back of my hand, to the
point where I could recognise photos of anonymous walls, I've used it
rarely in the last six years... but the whole thing worked like a treat,
and I was left wondering how people find so much to complain about
(although I deliberately avoided the Vic on the way to my appointment,
but used it effortlessly on the way back).

Old April 3rd 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

Needed to get from Monument to Finsbury Park recently and so decided
to take my first ride on the new ELL. Somehow the fact that the
trains were artics had passed me by.... what a pleasant surprise!
There is something very cool about being in a long bendy corridor
snaking its way between the buildings.

But they're not artic trains -- they're just normal Electrostars with
open gangways (similar to S Stock or German ICE3s).

Old April 3rd 11, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, Recliner wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message

Needed to get from Monument to Finsbury Park recently and so decided
to take my first ride on the new ELL. Somehow the fact that the
trains were artics had passed me by.... what a pleasant surprise!
There is something very cool about being in a long bendy corridor
snaking its way between the buildings.

But they're not artic trains -- they're just normal Electrostars with
open gangways (similar to S Stock or German ICE3s).

Which is what the man on the Clapham omnibus (or the man usually found
driving the Harrow cab) means by 'articulated'. They care not for the
disbursement of bogies.

tom

--
not to act in accordance with reason is contrary to God's nature --
Pope Benedict XVI
Old April 3rd 11, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article . li,
Tom Anderson wrote:
Which is what the man on the Clapham omnibus (or the man usually found
driving the Harrow cab) means by 'articulated'. They care not for the
disbursement of bogies.

I think that, to the man on the Clapham omnibus, 'articulated' is a
type of lorry

-roy
Old April 4th 11, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 3, 12:28*pm, Basil Jet wrote:
Needed to get from Monument to Finsbury Park recently and so decided to
take my first ride on the new ELL. Somehow the fact that the trains were
artics had passed me by.... what a pleasant surprise! There is something
very cool about being in a long bendy corridor snaking its way between
the buildings.

True .. but I HATE lateral seating. I like to be able to see out of
the window without turning my neck through 180 degrees!

I was pleasantly surprised the other day to find the new trains on the
Goblin line did not follow this plan.

Peter

Old April 4th 11, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/04/2011 08:53, peter wrote:

I HATE lateral seating. I like to be able to see out of
the window without turning my neck through 180 degrees!

I was pleasantly surprised the other day to find the new trains on the
Goblin line did not follow this plan.

What is more, they are a great improvement on the units they replaced,
i.e. with 2 + 2 seating, seats lined up with the windows and adequate
(for me) leg room.

--
John Ray
Old April 4th 11, 12:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"peter" wrote in message

True .. but I HATE lateral seating. I like to be able to see out of
the window without turning my neck through 180 degrees!

I was pleasantly surprised the other day to find the new trains on the
Goblin line did not follow this plan.

I believe they only have a conventional layout so that they can be
transferred elsewhere in the country if the line is electrified. So expect
to see the normal LO style 378 if they are ever replaced...

Paul S

Old April 4th 11, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"peter" wrote in message

True .. but I HATE lateral seating. I like to be able to see out of
the window without turning my neck through 180 degrees!

I was pleasantly surprised the other day to find the new trains on
the Goblin line did not follow this plan.

I believe they only have a conventional layout so that they can be
transferred elsewhere in the country if the line is electrified. So
expect to see the normal LO style 378 if they are ever replaced...

Yup, I believe that the 172s are hoped to be moved to Chiltern at some
stage, and would then surely be replaced by more 378s.

Old April 4th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roy Badami" wrote in message

In article . li,
Tom Anderson wrote:
Which is what the man on the Clapham omnibus (or the man usually
found driving the Harrow cab) means by 'articulated'. They care not
for the disbursement of bogies.

I think that, to the man on the Clapham omnibus, 'articulated' is a
type of lorry

Absolutely -- normals don't talk about articulated trains. Even London's
articulated buses are invariably called bendy buses, not artic-buses.

Old April 4th 11, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Absolutely -- normals don't talk about articulated trains. Even
London's articulated buses are invariably called bendy buses, not
artic-buses.

While that is very true, I first mistook the subject of this thread as I
thought it was reflecting something which old-time East-enders might
well have said as in "it's ar'tic in 'ere".

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com