Old June 11th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default Double Artic Trolleybus.

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla.../Ecp20january2
004.htm
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla...cules/List+of+
Vehicles.htm

Had a ride on it yesterday - it's enormous!

--
*****
*****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam

Old June 11th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:11:49 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla.../Ecp20january2
004.htm
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla...cules/List+of+
Vehicles.htm

There's a diesel version running around on the old 102 (now Metrobus
something or other) in Hamburg, a former tram route now operated by
diesel buses using much of the existing tram infrastructure.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old June 11th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

wrote:

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla.../Ecp20january2
004.htm
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla...cules/List+of+
Vehicles.htm

There's a diesel version running around on the old 102 (now Metrobus
something or other) in Hamburg, a former tram route now operated by
diesel buses using much of the existing tram infrastructure.

Neil

And how do you reverse them?

Alex
Old June 11th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:42:15 +0100, Alex
wrote:

And how do you reverse them?

You don't. On the ex-102, there are turning loops at Niendorf-Markt
and Niendorf-Nord (though you could as well turn them by going around
side streets), and the Rathausmarkt at the other end of the route is
one way in, one way out with regular stops rather than the "nose-in"
type.

I presume they have a reverse gear for emergency use - but expect it
is to be avoided...

Neil

Old June 12th 04, 01:25 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In message , Alex
writes

And how do you reverse them?

With skill and a lot of care.
--
Clive

Old June 12th 04, 01:48 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In article , Graham Harrison wrote:
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla.../Ecp20january2
004.htm
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla...cules/List+of+
Vehicles.htm

Had a ride on it yesterday - it's enormous!

I just got back from a holiday in Crimea, in Ukraine. There is a
trolleybus route there between Simferopol and Yalta, something like 45
miles long!

The trolleybuses used there are a bit more normal-sized, though:

http://www.zen30634.zen.co.uk/DCP_0519.JPG.html

Niklas
--
"My first time renting a car in the UK, I was a little surprised at how long it
took to get up to 100 on the motorway and was thinking disparaging remarks about
Old June 12th 04, 02:14 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Niklas Karlsson writes:
I just got back from a holiday in Crimea, in Ukraine. There is a
trolleybus route there between Simferopol and Yalta, something like
45 miles long!

Did you ride it, or otherwise travel the same roads? I'd be interested
to know the highest speed limit on the road and whether the trolleybuses
actually reach that speed -- unless the overhead wire and the road
surface are very good, I wouldn't think trolley poles would provide
reliable contact for a road vehicle at much above city speeds.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto Rocket, 1829: The first 30 mph train.
TGV-A, 1989: The first 300 mph train.

Old June 12th 04, 02:52 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

In article , Mark Brader wrote:
Niklas Karlsson writes:
I just got back from a holiday in Crimea, in Ukraine. There is a
trolleybus route there between Simferopol and Yalta, something like
45 miles long!

Did you ride it, or otherwise travel the same roads? I'd be interested
to know the highest speed limit on the road and whether the trolleybuses
actually reach that speed -- unless the overhead wire and the road
surface are very good, I wouldn't think trolley poles would provide
reliable contact for a road vehicle at much above city speeds.

I think you're probably right. I rode it for a short distance (at least
compared to the entire length). As I recall the general speed limit
on the road was 80 kph, and there was a separate trolleybus speed limit
of something like 50-60 kph.

Oh, and the fare for the whole trip from Simferopol to Yalta, or vice
versa, is about 30-35p, BTW.

Of course, this trolleybus route runs through a pass in the Crimean
mountain range, so the road'll be slowish in any case...

Niklas
--
"If you're going to bash someone with a beer bottle they at least deserve the
respect of it being marginally drinkable beer."
Old June 12th 04, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

"Graham Harrison" wrote in
message ...

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla.../Ecp20january2
004.htm

http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla...cules/List+of+
Vehicles.htm

Had a ride on it yesterday - it's enormous!

Ah, but can it play a medley of accordion hits of the 30s as it goes around
corners?
--
Brian
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop

Old June 12th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

wrote in :
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla.../Ecp20january2
004.htm
http://www.tpg.ch/Internet+TPG/Angla...cules/List+of+
Vehicles.htm

Had a ride on it yesterday - it's enormous!

Haven't explicitly noticed it yet. I'll keep it in mind when I
travel into town. I usually just take the 9/18/28 from here into the
airport.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN