London Banter

-   -   Heightened Security & Photography (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11940-heightened-security-photography.html)

Steve Dulieu[_3_] April 17th 11 12:45 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 15/04/2011 09:54, d wrote:

People don't expect to fit a non folding bike on a bus

... in Britain. In some places abroad, however....

I'm sure this has come up before but for E.G.
http://www.thebus.org/howtoride/How%...ike%20Rack.pdf
(TheBus is the Honolulu public transport operator).

--
Cheers, Steve.

[email protected] April 17th 11 06:27 PM

On 15/04/2011 09:54, d wrote:

People don't expect to fit a non folding bike on a bus

... in Britain. In some places abroad, however....

I'm sure this has come up before but for E.G.
http://www.thebus.org/howtoride/How%...ike%20Rack.pdf
(TheBus is the Honolulu public transport operator).

I wonder if London would ever consider such an option, although I
imagine that the HSE jobsworths would say that it is unsafe.

I also wonder, however, how easily said bicylces can be stolen off of
their racks.

Neil Williams April 17th 11 08:50 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:27:11 +0100, "
wrote:
I wonder if London would ever consider such an option, although I
imagine that the HSE jobsworths would say that it is unsafe.

Not surw how many cyclists would want to bother as they can probably
cycle faster than a bus anyway. It's inter-regional services where
it'd be more use. So far as I recall, few people ever used the
facility in Hamburg, where you can take a bike in the wheelchair bay
if none is present.

The Stagecoach X5 (Oxford-Cambridge) takes bikes, FWIW. But it runs
using a coach, and they go underneath.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Neil Williams April 17th 11 08:52 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:36:12 -0500,
wrote:
The experience also demonstrated how ludicrous is the blanket ban

on bikes
being carried on rail replacement services. As most of them are

provided
by coaches rather than buses there is actually plenty of space

underneath
to accommodate bikes on much the same scale as on trains.

I have seen bikes being loaded onto replacement coaches plenty of
times, and I have also heard of it on buses (rather than coaches) as
well. It just can't be guaranteed whether individual staff will
allow it or not.

Neol

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

[email protected] April 17th 11 09:20 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

*From:*
*Date:* Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:36:12 -0500

In article ,
(Neil Williams) wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:01:51 -0500,
wrote:
I'm evacuated from a train with my bicycle. Wires down near
Welwyn GC station. The only complication was getting the bike
down the ladder, for which I received assistance from staff or
fellow passengers.

Must admit to being pleasantly surprised someone didn't mutter
"H&S" and make you leave it.

I don't think I gave them the chance.

The experience also demonstrated how ludicrous is the blanket ban
on bikes being carried on rail replacement services. As most of
them are provided by coaches rather than buses there is actually
plenty of space underneath to accommodate bikes on much the same
scale as on trains. My daughter has been unable to bring her bike
home from uni this weekend because there is a blockade between
Waterbeach and Ely again this weekend. All the rail replacement
buses this year have been actually coaches as far as I have seen.

In the Welwyn wires down incident I was lucky that one of the rail
replacement buses they summoned up was a coach which was happy to
take my bike to get us to Potter's Bar. Most of the rail
replacements were in fact buses. In the circs the railway accepted
they had to carry my bike. Dunno what happened to the other guy
with a bike, though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Do the rail replacement coaches actually use that space for any storage?
My rather limited experience of using NR replacement coaches is that the
driver normally sits in the drivers seat and watches people struggle on
with luggage, unless they are the exception. (I try and avoid travelling
when there's a replacement service unless I really have to).

Roger

[email protected] April 17th 11 09:20 PM

Heightened Security & Photography - bicycles

I've made those announcements before now and delayed the tube until
station staff arrive. However, the driver gets a bollocking for delaying
the train though, so most drivers don't really care what happens on the
train if it doesn't affect them.

Roger

*From:* Neil Williams
*Date:* Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:20:23 +0200

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:44:12 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
There are already various banned times on the Overground - but I

expect
there's little or no enforcement - especially on DOO routes.

"We aren't moving until the bike is removed" works for Manchester
Metrolink. It soon is, either by the owner or someone else. The
same tends to go for people who haven't paid on London buses.

Assumes they see it, of course.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

[email protected] April 17th 11 10:02 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

In article ,
() wrote:

wrote:
[...]

They were certainly using the space at Ely today. There was a blockade
between there and Cambridge with lots of coaches, separately provided by
FCC, NXEA and Cross Country.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams April 17th 11 10:10 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:20:11 -0500, wrote:
Do the rail replacement coaches actually use that space for any

storage?

I've seen the opposite of what you say - drivers insisting luggage
goes underneath.

Mind you, they can be an odd breed. I once got on one with a cup of
coffee. The driver then proceeded to have a passive-aggressive type
conversation with the dispatcher about effing cheeky passengers who
effing take effing coffee on effing coaches when they should know
better. As there was no sign to this effect, I was curious why he
didn't just ask me politely to get off and finish it before boarding
again, given that what food/drink is allowed varies somewhat between
coach operators.

As it turned out, as he didn't, the coffee was finished on board.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

Spyke April 17th 11 10:18 PM

On 17/04/2011 23:02, wrote:

Do the rail replacement coaches actually use that space for any
storage? My rather limited experience of using NR replacement
coaches is that the driver normally sits in the drivers seat and
watches people struggle on with luggage, unless they are the
exception. (I try and avoid travelling when there's a replacement
service unless I really have to).

They were certainly using the space at Ely today. There was a blockade
between there and Cambridge with lots of coaches, separately provided by
FCC, NXEA and Cross Country.

They were using it at Shrewsbury when the Cambrian was closed back in
Feb as well.
That would've been an interesting one for anyone with a bike, as the
blockade was only put in place at the last minute (leading to many irate
passengers who'd planned their journey more than a week in advance and
had missed the connecting coach).

Roland Perry April 18th 11 07:28 AM

Heightened Security & Photography

In message , at 17:02:28
on Sun, 17 Apr 2011, remarked:

They were certainly using the space at Ely today. There was a blockade
between there and Cambridge with lots of coaches, separately provided by
FCC, NXEA and Cross Country.

So presumably you could choose which virtual-train to use for the trip?