London Banter

-   -   Heightened Security & Photography (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11940-heightened-security-photography.html)

[email protected] April 18th 11 09:15 AM

Heightened Security & Photography

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
17:02:28 on Sun, 17 Apr 2011,
remarked:

They were certainly using the space at Ely today. There was a blockade
between there and Cambridge with lots of coaches, separately provided
by FCC, NXEA and Cross Country.

So presumably you could choose which virtual-train to use for the trip?

Since I was only there so my daughter could avoid using one, I don't know.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 18th 11 09:50 AM

Heightened Security & Photography

In message , at 04:15:20
on Mon, 18 Apr 2011, remarked:

They were certainly using the space at Ely today. There was a blockade
between there and Cambridge with lots of coaches, separately provided
by FCC, NXEA and Cross Country.

So presumably you could choose which virtual-train to use for the trip?

Since I was only there so my daughter could avoid using one, I don't know.

As long as you didn't have a ToC-specific train ticket[1] you'd be OK to
use any, I reckon.

[1] And I think they try to avoid issuing specific-train Advance
Purchase tickets in scenarios like this.

Neil Williams April 18th 11 11:14 AM

On Apr 18, 10:50*am, Roland Perry wrote:

As long as you didn't have a ToC-specific train ticket[1] you'd be OK to
use any, I reckon.

During the long period of weekend bustitution between MK and Hemel a
few years ago, VT agreed to accept LM tickets on their rather higher
capacity bus service, leaving LM to serve only intermediate stations.

Neil

[email protected] April 18th 11 12:41 PM

Perry) wrote:

[1] And I think they try to avoid issuing specific-train Advance
Purchase tickets in scenarios like this.

Uh-oh. My daughter had a CC Advance for Cambridge-Leicester.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry April 18th 11 01:13 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

In message , at 07:41:48
on Mon, 18 Apr 2011, remarked:

[1] And I think they try to avoid issuing specific-train Advance
Purchase tickets in scenarios like this.

Uh-oh. My daughter had a CC Advance for Cambridge-Leicester.

In which case giving her a lift to Ely would probably invalidate the
ticket (starting long!) assuming anyone either noticed or cared.

Was it timed to leave Cambridge with the bus, or on the train which was
being bustituted? [The latter seems like an accident waiting to happen].

Steve Dulieu[_3_] April 18th 11 02:19 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
.net...

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:27:11 +0100, "
wrote:
I wonder if London would ever consider such an option, although I imagine
that the HSE jobsworths would say that it is unsafe.

The Stagecoach X5 (Oxford-Cambridge) takes bikes, FWIW. But it runs using
a coach, and they go underneath.

As does the London - Oxford "Oxford Tube" apparently.

--
Cheers, Steve.

[email protected] April 18th 11 03:57 PM

Heightened Security & Photography

In article , (Roland
Perry) wrote:

In message , at
07:41:48 on Mon, 18 Apr 2011,
remarked:

[1] And I think they try to avoid issuing specific-train Advance
Purchase tickets in scenarios like this.

Uh-oh. My daughter had a CC Advance for Cambridge-Leicester.

In which case giving her a lift to Ely would probably invalidate
the ticket (starting long!) assuming anyone either noticed or cared.

Was it timed to leave Cambridge with the bus, or on the train which
was being bustituted? [The latter seems like an accident waiting to
happen].

To be honest I didn't check, just assumed she had booked through.
Hopefully we are through this now. She's away elsewhere at Easter anyway.

--
Colin Rosenstiel