Old April 12th 11, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Airtrack shelved

On 12/04/2011 08:19, Paul Weaver wrote:
On Apr 12, 7:16 am, wrote:
On Apr 12, 12:53 am, wrote:

wrote:

How about the PRT at T5, has that also been shelved? I wonder,
considering that it is almost two years delayed.

Airtrack, like the PRT, was probably no more than a ruse to get
planning permission for some major development work at Heathrow.

The PRT was going to revolutionise journeys to and from the Central
Area - the T5 installation was just a trial. But BAA got planning
permission for the redevelopment of the Central Area, so the PRT trial
seems to have worked for BAA, even if it has never carried any of
Terminal 5's Business Car Park users.

Airtrack was probably intended to help BAA gain planning permission
for the third runway and associated works. Now the coalition
government has made it crystal clear that the third runway project is
dead and buried, there's no point in Airtrack.

Of course there will be myriad other excuses why Airtrack could not go
ahead, but I believe that the coalition government's refusal of the
third runway is the primary cause of the cancellation. The recent
confirmation of the ruling that BAA must sell Stansted is another
possible factor in the decision to curtail investment.

I saw the PRT running last Thursday - at least 10 cars on the move
(empty)

Certainly running trials in Januray:
http://www.ultraprt.com/news/86/149/...vehicle-trips/

If it does open, it will be a personal incentive to use the business
parking rather than longstay.

IIRC, they plan to have staff on site for the first few weeks to keep
the gawkers away.

Old April 20th 11, 04:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 12, 8:19*am, Paul Weaver wrote:
On Apr 12, 7:16*am, ianh wrote:

On Apr 12, 12:53*am, Bruce wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

And it's open!

http://www.ultraprt.com/news/87/85/H...-Trials-Begin/

Old April 20th 11, 04:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2011\04\20 17:32, Paul Weaver wrote:

And it's open!

http://www.ultraprt.com/news/87/85/H...-Trials-Begin/

Can I use this without a plane ticket? Can I use this without a
long-stay car park ticket? Where's the nearest short-stay car park and
how much time would I need to park there for? Or should I park somewhere
in Osterley and get the tube in? Is the PRT free?
Old April 20th 11, 04:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:40:53 on
Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Basil Jet remarked:

Can I use this without a plane ticket? Can I use this without a
long-stay car park ticket?

Don't know, and don't know.

Where's the nearest short-stay car park

The T5 multi-storey; that end of the pod track is actually inside it.

and how much time would I need to park there for?

An hour should be enough.

Or should I park somewhere in Osterley and get the tube in?

That'd be just as good.

Is the PRT free?

It might be free "if you have the right parking ticket". Also, is it
operating two-way, it might be just parking-terminal to start with.
Old April 20th 11, 07:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Apr 20, 5:54*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:40:53 on
Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Basil Jet remarked:
Can I use this without a plane ticket? Can I use this without a
long-stay car park ticket?

It might be free "if you have the right parking ticket". Also, is it
operating two-way, it might be just parking-terminal to start with.

It's open for a couple of weeks for real-world trials. I doubt you'll
need a ticket, certainly if it's not busy, but if you're worried get
the bus to the long stay, and PRT back - they're less likely to demand
a ticket that way.

Is there just one station in the parking? Most airport long-stays have
at least half-a-dozen bus stops, I assume the ultra is the same.

I'm flying from Heathrow during the public trial, but already booked
my parking (£3 cheaper) at the non-business parking (slightly further,
but usually faster on the bus). Very annoying.

Old April 20th 11, 07:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:54*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:40:53 on
Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Basil Jet remarked:
Can I use this without a plane ticket? Can I use this without a
long-stay car park ticket?

It might be free "if you have the right parking ticket". Also, is it
operating two-way, it might be just parking-terminal to start with.

It's open for a couple of weeks for real-world trials. I doubt you'll
need a ticket, certainly if it's not busy, but if you're worried get
the bus to the long stay, and PRT back - they're less likely to demand
a ticket that way.

Is there just one station in the parking? Most airport long-stays have
at least half-a-dozen bus stops, I assume the ultra is the same.

There are two PRT "stations" in the T5 Business Car Park.