Old May 5th 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Black cab highway code

wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2011 21:33:51 +0100
"Mr Pounder" wrote:
I was for 19 years.
Maybe you should try it sometime?

What for? I have a career, I don't need a blue collar job.

But maybe not, you have not got the guts.

Guts as in the 9 months pregnant beer belly that most of you lot seem to
sport? No, you're right, I don't have those sort of guts.

B2003

No gut on me mate, never has been.

Old May 6th 11, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote:

"GT" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote:

"GT" wrote:
Double red lines? What are they?

They signify "No Stopping" on London's designated "Red Routes".
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/fine...ons/10185.aspx

I have read that page, including reference to the PCNs, but are they
actually a recognised, enforceable highway code entity, or just London
local
authority doing what it likes?

I believe specific legislation was passed - the Traffic Management Act
2004. This Act made specific reference only to London, however there
are also Red Routes in Birmingham.

The Act also refers to powers under the Highways Act 1980 and the Road
Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

This is far from being a complete answer to your question and I
present it only as a possible starting point for your research.

Red Routes in London have their genesis in the Road Traffic Act 1991, which
also established a new body, the Traffic Director for London (under the
Department of Transport), who was to establish and take control of a
Priority Route Network in London. The role of the Traffic Director for
London was subsumed by TfL on it's foundation in 2000, and the Priority
Route Network became the TLRN (or Transport for London Road Network -
initially called the Greater London Road Network I think).

The Red Routes in Birmingham will of course have some sort of statutory
basis - no mention of what that is on the Red Route section of the
Birmingham City Council website, but I'm sure if GT were to email them
then they'd reply with the required information.

Old May 6th 11, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
"GT" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
"GT" wrote:
[...]

It is interesting that each individual Red Route in London required a
Traffic Order to be passed by Parliament, implying that the powers of
the Traffic Director are somewhat limited. I would expect that a
similar Order(s) was/were needed for Birmingham. But as I have made
clear, it is up to GT (or anyone else interested) to do their own
detailed research, as I have only skimmed the subject.

Old May 7th 11, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On 6 May, 15:32, Bruce wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
"GT" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
"GT" wrote:
[...]

detailed research, as I have only skimmed the subject.- Hide quoted text -

Is a "Black Cab" without a passenger allowed in a "bus lane"

Saw a "mini-cab" stop on zig-zag lines last night.

Also a mini-cab driver had no clue that he should have had headlights
not side lights on when driving on a motorway

Old May 7th 11, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Stephen Bagwell wrote:

Also a mini-cab driver had no clue that he should have had headlights
not side lights on when driving on a motorway.

Driving with only sidelights on is never a good idea, but I wasn't
aware of any statute prohibiting their use on motorways.

Old May 7th 11, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Bruce wrote:

Stephen Bagwell wrote:

Also a mini-cab driver had no clue that he should have had headlights
not side lights on when driving on a motorway.

Driving with only sidelights on is never a good idea, but I wasn't
aware of any statute prohibiting their use on motorways.

Tssk, Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989

"25.- (1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or
cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle which is fitted with
obligatory dipped-beam headlamps unless every such lamp is kept lit-"

paragraph (2) states that the dipped beam headlamps do not need to be
lit *if*:

[summary, not verbatim]

(a)+(b) main-beam is in use, or the visibility is seriously reduced and
foglamps are in use *provided* that such foglamps are not more than
400mm from the outer edge of the vehicle.

(c) vehicle is being towed
(d) Vehicle is ploughing snow
(e) Vehicle is parked

Which means all those tools who drive around on sidelights are not
legal.

All those tools who drive around with foglamps on when there is no fog,
likewise.
Old May 7th 11, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On May 7, 8:02*am, Stephen Bagwell wrote:
[snip]
Is a "Black Cab" without a passenger allowed in a "bus lane"

Yes.
Old May 7th 11, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:03:38 on
Sat, 7 May 2011, Steve Firth remarked:

Tssk, Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989

"25.- (1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or
cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle which is fitted with
obligatory dipped-beam headlamps unless every such lamp is kept lit-"

Presumably there's another clause that defines "such lamps" to include
all(?) the vehicle's lights, not just the dipped headlights.

Otherwise all it's saying is that if you have dipped headlights you must
always have them alight. (Which doesn't make sense either).
Old May 7th 11, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On 2011\05\07 11:03, Steve Firth wrote:

Which means all those tools who drive around on sidelights are not
legal.

I thought driving with sidelights was legal if the road has streetlamps,
which many motorways do.

Pedicabs: a public nuisance on the public highway Robin9 London Transport 13 December 26th 11 07:23 PM
The change in dialling code from 01 for London to 0171 & 0181 - Why t Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 1 November 19th 07 09:16 AM
Highway or the Myway? A new Code for light relief [email protected] London Transport 0 August 6th 06 11:07 PM
Bus 'Code Red' Stuart London Transport 6 March 18th 06 02:49 PM
Highway Code for Coach Drivers Joe London Transport 9 December 3rd 04 03:45 PM