London Banter

-   -   South West Trains diverted at Wimbledon? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/11979-south-west-trains-diverted-wimbledon.html)

Nick Leverton May 5th 11 08:16 PM

South West Trains diverted at Wimbledon?

In article ,
wrote:
In article 01cc0a8f$ac2af800$LocalHost@default, (Michael
R N Dolbear) wrote:

Your "in both directions" is most interesting as is peter's "going
north". During my commuting years my train took that route a number of
times (to the considerable surprise of many passengers) but only in the
Down direction..

I thought I remembered discussions here that Up wasn't or couldn't be
used.

It can be used but involves conflicting moves at Point Pleasant Junction
due to removal of the bridge from East Putney across the Windsor lines
some years ago.

The bridge and the associated up connection were out of use for some
years due to decrepitude of the bridge. I don't have a recent Quail
but I presume the former down spur can now be used in both directions.

Nick
--
Serendipity:
http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

[email protected] May 5th 11 08:39 PM

South West Trains diverted at Wimbledon?

In article , (Nick Leverton)
wrote:

(Michael R N Dolbear) wrote:

Your "in both directions" is most interesting as is peter's "going
north". During my commuting years my train took that route a number
of times (to the considerable surprise of many passengers) but only
in the Down direction..

I thought I remembered discussions here that Up wasn't or couldn't be
used.

It can be used but involves conflicting moves at Point Pleasant

Junction due to removal of the bridge from East Putney across the
Windsor lines some years ago.

The bridge and the associated up connection were out of use for some
years due to decrepitude of the bridge. I don't have a recent Quail
but I presume the former down spur can now be used in both
directions.

It can indeed. It is now some years since the bridge was demolished and
the Up embankment abandoned with all traffic taking the Down viaduct and
embankment.

--
Colin Rosenstiel