Old June 15th 11, 09:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Elderly lady has suspected stroke and is locked in a store room byStation Manager

Suspect a stroke? Act FAST call 999. Stroke is a Medical Emergency

Face - Arm - Speech - Test = paramedics NOW!!

This has been drilled into me from 1st Aid. However it seems that TfL
haven't trained its staff in FAST.

Last night I was on the Circle Line at Paddington on platform 2.
Suddenly an elderly lady gets off my train and then kind of faints and
asks to sit down. We find the nearest barrier railings - getting her
to a seat is not an option. She is accompanied by her equally elderly
husband. They appear to be American tourists. She could hardly speak.
Bad signs.

Everyone else walks by as usual.

I went to the Underground gateline to request assistance. One of the
staff ambles back to the platform with me - not really with any sense
of urgency.

We reach the lady, and he then disappears to get the Station Manager.
Eventually the latter turns up and asks if she wants any water, but
that they don't actually have any nearby. He dithers - obviously not
really knowing or trained what to do.

It is obvious that none of the staff there have been trained in FAST.

After about 5 minutes - and seeing that she is becoming stressed and
on the point of fainting again - with trains and arriving and
departing - the SM suggests that she waits in a store room. He and her
husband then help her to limp to the room in an alcove. The SM unlocks
the door and inside is a high table for her to sit on (no chairs?). No
aircon - no fresh air. I suggest that paramedics be called. He ignores
me - with the arrogance of "he's in charge." He then goes inside with
her and her husband and locks the door!!

I waited outside because I was not happy with his treatment of her.
After a further 5 minutes he comes out and I said to him either you
call the paramedics or I do. He told me to mind my own business. It
was quite obvious that he had no training in medical emergencies
especially FAST. God help Paddington if ever there is a real
emergency. But this was a potential one.

He went back inside the room, and locked the door again. This was not
good because one of the things anyone feeling faint needs is fresh air
- not stale air in a claustrophobic storage room.

Since it was obvious the SM had no medical training in FAST I called
999. A paramedic arrived within 5 minutes. It was as well I waited on
the platform for him, because he would never have found the storage
room by himself.

He went in, and presumably she was treated for whatever. I hope she is
OK.

But the attitude of the Station Manager was appalling. It seems that
TfL staff are not trained in FAST, and staff do not have access to
water for passengers taken ill. They also seem reluctant to call the
paramedics.

Quite appalling.

I then called

heA(at the entrance).

Elderly Lady Faints and is then locked in a Store Room by Station
Manager

Absolutely disgraceful uncaring treatment by station staff incl. the
station duty manager.

Paddington Underground - Platform 2 - Circle Line - 8.00pm

Elderly lady - an Amercian tourist tourist almost collapses on the
platform. Two other

tourists get her to sit down.

Station staff summonsed. They take their time

Station manager puts her in a srorage room to sit on a high table, and
then closes the

door and locks it.

Called 999 for medics.

Old June 15th 11, 09:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 15, 10:29*am, CJB wrote:
[...]

This is not acceptable, especially after the inquest to the 7th July
attacks. If staff cannot cope with an incident of this nature, what
are they going to do if there is a repeat of 7/7, or during the
Olympics?

Do you plan to take this up with LUL? I think it would be worth doing
so.

Old June 15th 11, 09:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 15, 10:42*am, Paul wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:29*am, CJB wrote:

[...]

I'd call the tabloid press. Be careful though, Bob Crow might also
call a strike ballot as hisstaff are being victimised.

Neill
Old June 15th 11, 09:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Jun 15, 10:42*am, Paul wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:29*am, CJB wrote:

[...]

Ignoring the misposted bits at the end (sorry about that).

Yes I have made a formal complaint to TfL; also I've written to the
Evening Standard - as I said God help us if there is a real emergency
- certainly the staff at Paddington are simply not prepared nor
apparently trained for medical emergencies; and I've emailed the
Stroke Association.
Old June 15th 11, 10:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 15, 10:55*am, CJB wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:42*am, Paul wrote:

On Jun 15, 10:29*am, CJB wrote:

[...]

It may also be worth sending a letter to the London Ambulance service,
stating your concerns and requesting that if they agree with them they
should contact TfL themselves. (Obviously they can't disclose to you
the outcome, but they can check with their paramedic whether he agrees
with your assessment)

Old June 15th 11, 12:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Ignoring the misposted bits at the end (sorry about that).

Yes I have made a formal complaint to TfL; also I've written to the
Evening Standard - as I said God help us if there is a real emergency
- certainly the staff at Paddington are simply not prepared nor
apparently trained for medical emergencies; and I've emailed the
Stroke Association.

It may also be worth sending a letter to the London Ambulance service,
stating your concerns and requesting that if they agree with them they
should contact TfL themselves. (Obviously they can't disclose to you
the outcome, but they can check with their paramedic whether he agrees
with your assessment)

Well done to the OP for doing something re this casualty, and I'd do
just the same thing in similar circumstances. I cannot think anyone
would criticise anyone for doing the same.

It would be a good idea to take this further and try to get the
ambulance service to talk to the railway re training their staff 'else
another day and same circumstances;(..

Why didn't the station staff just call an ambulance anyway?, after all
there're the ones to handle this and its puts the station management and
staff in the clear anyway?..

How very odd;?...

--
Tony Sayer

Old June 15th 11, 01:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 15, 10:52*am, Neill wrote:

. . . . . Bob Crow might also
call a strike ballot as hisstaff are being victimised.

Neill

Be careful. Some of his extreme more cronies may also read this forum.
Old June 15th 11, 01:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 15, 10:52*am, Neill wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:42*am, Paul wrote:

On Jun 15, 10:29*am, CJB wrote:

[...]

Neill- Hide quoted text -

Presumably though the staff involved in this incident are not members
of the RMT, because according to Comrade Crow his members are
dedicated and hard working, whose only interest is to serve the
travelling public.
Old June 15th 11, 02:36 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

If that were a stroke, the paramedic would have had an ambulance
called & the woman evacuated very quickly.

CJB - did you see this lady evacuated?
Old June 15th 11, 03:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15/06/2011 15:36, Chris wrote:
If that were a stroke, the paramedic would have had an ambulance
called& the woman evacuated very quickly.

CJB - did you see this lady evacuated?

Are you talking to yourself or have I missed something?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail