Old September 19th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster card online store, from US- no joy

Hi All,
Just for your information, and for any lurkers,
you CANNOT use a US based credit card in the online
Oyster store. I tried, failed, thought there was
a mistake in may registration, and so when in London last week
called the Oyster Help line, and was told that they were unable.

That's sad, since it would be very convenient to go online
a day or two before I fly, and purchase passes or value to
be picked up at Heathrow when coming in. I currently have
some Pay-as-you-go value on my Oyster Card, but it means if
I want to start out my trip with a 7-day pass (as I have done in
the past), I need to queue for a window or machine at Heathrow,
something to be avoided, if possible.

73, doug

Old September 20th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604" wrote in message
Hi All,
Just for your information, and for any lurkers,
you CANNOT use a US based credit card in the online
Oyster store. I tried, failed, thought there was
a mistake in may registration, and so when in London last week
called the Oyster Help line, and was told that they were unable.

That's sad, since it would be very convenient to go online
a day or two before I fly, and purchase passes or value to
be picked up at Heathrow when coming in. I currently have
some Pay-as-you-go value on my Oyster Card, but it means if
I want to start out my trip with a 7-day pass (as I have done in
the past), I need to queue for a window or machine at Heathrow,
something to be avoided, if possible.

73, doug

It's most likely and anti-fraud precaution... Most oyster users have
British credit cards, so I guess it's a problem they don't come across too
often.

Old September 20th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"d" writes:

It's most likely and anti-fraud precaution... Most oyster users have
British credit cards, so I guess it's a problem they don't come across too
often.

That's their excuse. They'll take a US card if I'm actually there in
front of their machine, which seems to me to be very nearly as
susceptible to fraud.

73, doug

Old September 20th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"d" writes:

It's most likely and anti-fraud precaution... Most oyster users have
British credit cards, so I guess it's a problem they don't come across
too
often.

That's their excuse. They'll take a US card if I'm actually there in
front of their machine, which seems to me to be very nearly as
susceptible to fraud.

73, doug

You'll be on CCTV then, so I guess they'll have your picture or something...
I'm sure there's a good reason :-P

Old September 20th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

That's their excuse. They'll take a US card if I'm actually there in
front of their machine, which seems to me to be very nearly as
susceptible to fraud.

There's a difference between 'cardholder not present' transactions and
those where you insert the card. Admittedly, the fact that you don't
currently need to sign or enter a PIN does make a bit of a nonsense of
it.

Hopefully it will soon be changed so you will have to enter a PIN, but
this will of course introduce new problems if you don't have one.
Before we got C&P in the UK, you could simply use your ATM PIN abroad
(e.g. Sweden).

Jonathan

Old September 21st 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar writes:

PINs appear to have problems internationally. I've just got back from
two weeks in California, during which time I signed for all in-store
transactions, and if a machine (except an ATM) asked me for a PIN, it
rejected it (thanks, BART, amongst others).
--

Well, BART is not an organization that I'd expect to make things work,
but I've been told that only 4 digit pins are universal. Do you have

73, doug
Old September 21st 05, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Sep 2005 13:11:10 -0400, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
wrote:

James Farrar writes:

PINs appear to have problems internationally. I've just got back from
two weeks in California, during which time I signed for all in-store
transactions, and if a machine (except an ATM) asked me for a PIN, it
rejected it (thanks, BART, amongst others).
--

Well, BART is not an organization that I'd expect to make things work,

I dunno, it's always worked pretty well for me. And they had
stored-value tickets years before Oyster.

but I've been told that only 4 digit pins are universal. Do you have
more digits?

Nope.

I've never used a PIN in a transaction with BART, myself.

They've got new (or have upgraded their) machines since I was in SF
last year that allegedly take cards.

On the plus side, you can use their ticket machines to convert a $1
bill to four quarters without buying a ticket, which is muchos useful.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old September 21st 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

James Farrar writes:

PINs appear to have problems internationally. I've just got back from
two weeks in California, during which time I signed for all in-store
transactions, and if a machine (except an ATM) asked me for a PIN, it
rejected it (thanks, BART, amongst others).
--

Well, BART is not an organization that I'd expect to make things work,

I dunno, it's always worked pretty well for me. And they had
stored-value tickets years before Oyster.

They had to, that is the only kind of fare that exists. No period
passes nor per trip tickets. And even then, they've been known to
break the model, such as on AirBART, the shuttle from OAK to the
nearby BART station. For a long time, the only payment acceptable was
a BART card with $2 (or more if you wanted to throw away money), which
they took. Now, in a major improvement, they can accept correct
change in real money!!!

but I've been told that only 4 digit pins are universal. Do you have
more digits?

Nope.

I've never used a PIN in a transaction with BART, myself.

They've got new (or have upgraded their) machines since I was in SF
last year that allegedly take cards.

They've had a few machines that would take credit cards for a long
time, but they've only been widely deployed fairly recently. And I've
used those, but they don't require a PIN.

OTOH, BART machines will not accept dollar coins, and it took them a
while to get their machines upgraded when the $20. note was
changed. It was well after the time the notes were in circulation.

73, doug

Old September 21st 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

James Farrar writes:

PINs appear to have problems internationally. I've just got back from
two weeks in California, during which time I signed for all in-store
transactions, and if a machine (except an ATM) asked me for a PIN, it
rejected it (thanks, BART, amongst others).
--

Well, BART is not an organization that I'd expect to make things work,

I dunno, it's always worked pretty well for me. And they had
stored-value tickets years before Oyster.

They had to, that is the only kind of fare that exists.

That doesn't follow. You could have a system with only single and
return fares but only issue one-trip tickets.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com