Old July 8th 11, 12:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Chiswick this weekend

It turns out that for Saturday and Sunday, the District Line is shut
from West Kensington to Ealing / Richmond, and the North London Line is
shut from Willesden to Richmond. Since these three services are the only
three serving the Chiswick Park / Gunnersbury area, I'm wondering if it
was necessary to shut all three at the same time, when no track or
structure is used by more than two.

Old July 8th 11, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 8, 1:40*am, Basil Jet wrote:
It turns out that for Saturday and Sunday, the District Line is shut
from West Kensington to Ealing / Richmond, and the North London Line is
shut from Willesden to Richmond. Since these three services are the only
three serving the Chiswick Park / Gunnersbury area, I'm wondering if it
was necessary to shut all three at the same time, when no track or
structure is used by more than two.

Could be that all three services share the same metals at some point?
Old July 8th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011\07\08 14:12, Northolt Park Gates wrote:
On Jul 8, 1:40 am, Basil wrote:
It turns out that for Saturday and Sunday, the District Line is shut
from West Kensington to Ealing / Richmond, and the North London Line is
shut from Willesden to Richmond. Since these three services are the only
three serving the Chiswick Park / Gunnersbury area, I'm wondering if it
was necessary to shut all three at the same time, when no track or
structure is used by more than two.

Could be that all three services share the same metals at some point?

I just said that they don't. They could conceivably share the same power
section, although it would be very poor design if they did.
Old July 8th 11, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote on 08 July 2011
14:34:20 ...
On Jul 8, 1:40 am, Basil wrote:
It turns out that for Saturday and Sunday, the District Line is shut
from West Kensington to Ealing / Richmond, and the North London Line is
shut from Willesden to Richmond. Since these three services are the only
three serving the Chiswick Park / Gunnersbury area, I'm wondering if it
was necessary to shut all three at the same time, when no track or
structure is used by more than two.

Could be that all three services share the same metals at some point?

I just said that they don't. They could conceivably share the same power
section, although it would be very poor design if they did.

Your concern about our transport services in Chiswick is appreciated,
BJ! Presumably the District/Piccadilly closure is for track
replacement, as there are still many sections of old track in this area,
especially on the District.

But why do they need to close the NLL so soon after about 2 years of
weekend closures? I thought that the section north of South Acton had
been completely refurbished/renewed, so perhaps it's something that
Network Rail are doing at the Richmond end. In which case why not run
the NLL to and from South Acton? I've asked TfL for an explanation.
--
Richard J.
Old July 8th 11, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on 08 July 2011 23:30:34 ...

On Jul 8, 1:40 am, Basil wrote:
It turns out that for Saturday and Sunday, the District Line is shut
from West Kensington to Ealing / Richmond, and the North London Line
is shut from Willesden to Richmond. Since these three services are
the only three serving the Chiswick Park / Gunnersbury area, I'm
wondering if it was necessary to shut all three at the same time,
when no track or structure is used by more than two.

Could be that all three services share the same metals at some
point?

I just said that they don't. They could conceivably share the same
power section, although it would be very poor design if they did.

What about the signalling?

Separate LU and Network Rail systems. Neither affects all three
services. The same is true of the power systems which are separated by
a gap on the District just west of the Acton Lane bridge on the Richmond
branch.

Also, what about where the District passes over the NLL at Acton?

I don't believe they are working on the bridge structure itself. I
suppose it might be a Health & Safety risk if they are doing track
renewal on the bridge (bits falling off on to the NLL below?), but in
that case they should run the NLL to South Acton instead of cutting it
back to Willesden Junction.
--
Richard J.
Old July 9th 11, 12:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 08 July 2011 23:30:34 ...

On Jul 8, 1:40 am, Basil wrote:
[...]

Is there a reversing facility at South Acton?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 9th 11, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on 09 July 2011 01:50:06 ...
In ,

(Richard J.) wrote:

wrote on 08 July 2011 23:30:34 ...

On Jul 8, 1:40 am, Basil wrote:
[...]

Yes, there's a crossover north of the station, and south to north (down
to up) is a signalled move. At least it was before they lengthened the
platforms; haven't checked recently.

Interestingly, the National Rail site talks about "Engineering work
between Richmond and South Acton" but says that buses replace trains
between Richmond and Willesden Junction. That suggests to me that LO
decided to cut the service back to WJ even though Network Rail had the
line open down to South Acton.
--
Richard J.
Old July 11th 11, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 July, 01:40, Basil Jet wrote:
It turns out that for Saturday and Sunday, the District Line is shut
from West Kensington to Ealing / Richmond, and the North London Line is
shut from Willesden to Richmond. Since these three services are the only
three serving the Chiswick Park / Gunnersbury area, I'm wondering if it
was necessary to shut all three at the same time, when no track or
structure is used by more than two.

I don't know about the NLL but I was told by somebody within LU that a
section of track on the District Line had to be replaced and so the
Piccadilly Line had to be closed for H&S reasons.
Old July 11th 11, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 8, 1:40*am, Basil Jet wrote:
It turns out that for Saturday and Sunday, the District Line is shut
from West Kensington to Ealing / Richmond, and the North London Line is
shut from Willesden to Richmond. Since these three services are the only
three serving the Chiswick Park / Gunnersbury area, I'm wondering if it
was necessary to shut all three at the same time, when no track or
structure is used by more than two.

You could have walked from Kew Bridge NR... on Saturday,
but on Sunday you'd have been bashing the bus from Hammersmith, as the
Hounslow loop was shut as well.