Old July 16th 11, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Whither Thameslink to Cambridge?

In article ,
(Peter Masson) wrote:

"1506" wrote

Thank you. Does that mean at times (Monday - Friday) the Hertford
loop will be served exclusively from Moorgate?

As is the case now.

I think it will be the other way round. Most of the Moorgate trains will
be from Hertford.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old July 17th 11, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jul 16, 6:30*pm, 1506 wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:59*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

rth.li...

Which should finish in 2018. Would we expect service patterns to change
immediately?

The most up to date info is in the draft London and South East RUS - which
amongst other info about the ECML and Kings Cross services gives the
Thameslink GN side as 8 tph, of which:

2 tph 12 car Peterborough
2 tph 12 car Cambridge
4 tph 8 car Welwyn GC

all from 2018

To where will the Northern City trains run, post Thameslink.- Hide quoted text -

If it the case that all (or most) Moorgate trains will be Hertford
Loop ones, (with WGC services going to Thameslink), I guess it could
be because they would conveniently use the up 'goods' line from
Alexandra P to F Pk which is planned to be converted for passenger
trains use to provide extra capacity. With the upgraded track being
on W side of current USL, presumably Hertford Loop trains would be
able run from Alexandra P to N City branch without any conflict with
ECML/WGC trains.
Old July 18th 11, 01:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Jul 17, 11:25*pm, Philip wrote:
On Jul 16, 6:30*pm, 1506 wrote:

On Jul 16, 9:59*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

[...]

I was under the impression that both the up and down goods were being
upgraded, these being on the "outside" of the existing lines...? (all
still happily in the right places for conflict-free operation between
the flyover at Ally Pally and the pair of diveunders at Finsbury Park,
I might add).
Old July 18th 11, 09:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Jamie Thompson" wrote in message

I was under the impression that both the up and down goods were being
upgraded, these being on the "outside" of the existing lines...? (all
still happily in the right places for conflict-free operation between
the flyover at Ally Pally and the pair of diveunders at Finsbury Park,
I might add).

That's correct, however they are treated as two separate (but related)
projects by NR, and each direction can stand alone - and I think one
direction may have had a higher priority initially.

However according to the most up to date enhancements plan they both now
have the same start and completion dates, ie Jan 2012 - Dec 2013...

Paul S

Old July 18th 11, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jul 18, 10:51*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Jamie *Thompson" wrote in ...

I was under the impression that both the up and down goods were being
upgraded, these being on the "outside" of the existing lines...? (all
still happily in the right places for conflict-free operation between
the flyover at Ally Pally and the pair of diveunders at Finsbury Park,
I might add).

That's correct, however they are treated as two separate (but related)
projects by NR, and each direction can stand alone - and I think one
direction may have had a higher priority initially.

However according to the most up to date enhancements plan they both now
have the same start and *completion dates, ie Jan 2012 - Dec 2013...

Will this allow the Moorgate to WGC service to operate completely
independently from the KX/Thameslink trains. That is to say no shared
track? If so, it would eliminate service polution issues.

Old July 18th 11, 10:15 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jul 18, 10:51*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Jamie *Thompson" wrote in ...

I was under the impression that both the up and down goods were being
upgraded, these being on the "outside" of the existing lines...? (all
still happily in the right places for conflict-free operation between
the flyover at Ally Pally and the pair of diveunders at Finsbury Park,
I might add).

That's correct, however they are treated as two separate (but related)
projects by NR, and each direction can stand alone - and I think one
direction may have had a higher priority initially.

However according to the most up to date enhancements plan they both now
have the same start and *completion dates, ie Jan 2012 - Dec 2013...

Will this allow the Moorgate to Hertford North service to operate
completely
independently from the WGC to KX/Thameslink trains. That is to say no

Old July 18th 11, 10:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"1506" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 10:51 am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
That's correct, however they are treated as two separate (but related)
projects by NR, and each direction can stand alone - and I think one
direction may have had a higher priority initially.

However according to the most up to date enhancements plan they both now
have the same start and completion dates, ie Jan 2012 - Dec 2013...

Will this allow the Moorgate to Hertford North service to operate
completely
independently from the WGC to KX/Thameslink trains. That is to say no
shared
track? If so, it would eliminate service polution issues.

That's the published main purpose of the project, yes. The only downside is
that they aren't initially intending to build additional platforms at the
intermediate stations on the improved lines, at Harringay and Hornsey. That
is a proposal for CP5.

Paul S

Old July 18th 11, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Does it also mean that the big tube down to Moorgate would also have to be
used at weekends?

With a handy interchange at Highbury and Islington to the Overground lines I
would have thought it might have been quite useful.

Old July 18th 11, 12:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 18, 10:51*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Jamie *Thompson" wrote in ...

I was under the impression that both the up and down goods were being
upgraded, these being on the "outside" of the existing lines...? (all
still happily in the right places for conflict-free operation between
the flyover at Ally Pally and the pair of diveunders at Finsbury Park,
I might add).

That's correct, however they are treated as two separate (but related)
projects by NR, and each direction can stand alone - and I think one
direction may have had a higher priority initially.

However according to the most up to date enhancements plan they both now
have the same start and *completion dates, ie Jan 2012 - Dec 2013...

Paul S

I actually meant the up upgraded line is on the east side not west
side, but forgot that the down goods (on west side) was being upgraded
too. So that would mean Moorgate/Hertford Loop services would be
conflict-free of ECML USL and DSL and WGC services on both up & down
between F Pk and Alexandra P. However I think there would likely to
be movements from UFL at P Pk for FCC outers to stop USL rather than
UFL platform thus providing more UFL capacity, then some ex-WGC trains
may use the ex-goods new Hertford platform.
Philip
Old July 18th 11, 05:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Jamie Thompson" wrote in message

I was under the impression that both the up and down goods were being
upgraded, these being on the "outside" of the existing lines...? (all
still happily in the right places for conflict-free operation between
the flyover at Ally Pally and the pair of diveunders at Finsbury Park,
I might add).

That's correct, however they are treated as two separate (but related)
projects by NR, and each direction can stand alone - and I think one
direction may have had a higher priority initially.

However according to the most up to date enhancements plan they both now
have the same start and completion dates, ie Jan 2012 - Dec 2013...

The down line is actually called the Down Slow 2 rather than the Down Goods
and is already used by evening peak Hertford trains that do not stop at
Harringay or Hornsey.

Peter Smyth