Old July 19th 11, 10:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Overground SLL link

"Paul Corfield" wrote

Well one of the newsletters says that in (IIRC) September the junction at
the Surrey Quays end will be put in place. It says there will be some
possessions needed to make that happen.

It does indeed say that in the second newsletter, but I'm sure the pointwork
was already in place before the East London line reopened.

Old July 19th 11, 10:59 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:53:01 +0100, "
wrote:

On 19/07/2011 21:17, solar penguin wrote:

1506 wrote:

On Jul 19, 6:29 pm, wrote:
Do you have any idea of the timeline for this one?

There's a broad one athttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/15401.aspx(near
bottom of the page)
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Thank you. In eighteen months we can look forward to circumnavigating
the Capital by train.

We can _already_ circumnavigate the capital by train. The only
difference is, in eighteen months we'll be able to do it sitting
sideways the whole way. Whether or not you look forward to that
depends on your personal tastes in the matter.

What is the route?

How many do you want ?
Old July 19th 11, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

1506 wrote:

On Jul 19, 6:29 pm, wrote:
Do you have any idea of the timeline for this one?

There's a broad one at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...mes/15401.aspx (near
bottom of the page)

Thank you. In eighteen months we can look forward to
circumnavigating the Capital by train.

We can _already_ circumnavigate the capital by train. The only
difference is, in eighteen months we'll be able to do it sitting
sideways the whole way. Whether or not you look forward to that
depends on your personal tastes in the matter.

What is the route?

ELL to Crystal Palace and Southern to Clapham Junction would cover the SLL
"gap" easiest at present, surely?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 20th 11, 09:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Salmon" wrote in message
"Paul Corfield" wrote

Well one of the newsletters says that in (IIRC) September the junction at
the Surrey Quays end will be put in place. It says there will be some
possessions needed to make that happen.

It does indeed say that in the second newsletter, but I'm sure the
pointwork was already in place before the East London line reopened.

It is - the points and short lengths of track are clearly visible from
trains (and on the latest Google aerial view). Connection at that end
shouldn't be too intrusive assuming work beyond the limits of the existing
track (such as in the underpass) is in the green zone. It should only be
additions to signalling and subsequent testing that will interrupt normal
traffic.

Paul S

Old July 20th 11, 10:58 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:00:52 +0100, "Paul Scott"
SLL extension new works by Birse Metro. The contractor's site he

http://www.overgroundextension.co.uk

Is it reasonable to call it a "frequent" service if there are only 4
trains/hour?

--
Clive Page

Old July 20th 11, 11:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:58:31 on Wed, 20 Jul
2011, Clive Page remarked:
SLL extension new works by Birse Metro. The contractor's site he

http://www.overgroundextension.co.uk

Is it reasonable to call it a "frequent" service if there are only 4
trains/hour?

Many people would kill for 4tph. My own view (coloured in some part by
being a past user of the outer fringes of the Met line) is that
something magic happens between 3tph and 4tph - despite it only reducing
the interval by 5 minutes. Such that 4tph is a frequent enough service
it's turn-up-and-go for most users.
Old July 20th 11, 11:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jul 20, 11:58*am, Clive Page wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:00:52 +0100, "Paul Scott"
SLL extension new works by Birse Metro. The contractor's site he

http://www.overgroundextension.co.uk

Is it reasonable to call it a "frequent" service if there are only 4
trains/hour?

In broad terms I'd say yes. It is certainly a decent service level to
begin a new rail service with. We're not talking about a tube line
nor a tram line in an urban area where the UK expectation would be a
service every few minutes. As Roland says many people would kill to
have such a service level on their train or bus route.

Talking a relevant Overground example - when the GOBLIN was every 20
or 30 minutes I would have to know the departure times as just missing
a train would impose too long a wait and it would be worthwhile
considering going another way. With the GOBLIN now every 15 minutes I
am much more relaxed about "just turning up" although I do know the
times anyway! The same applies for the Chingford Line - it's every
15 mins and it's not "the end of the world" if you just miss one. I
guess it's all a bit psychological really in terms of people's
tolerance of being delayed.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old July 20th 11, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 20/07/2011 12:32, Roland Perry wrote:

Many people would kill for 4tph. My own view (coloured in some part by
being a past user of the outer fringes of the Met line) is that
something magic happens between 3tph and 4tph - despite it only reducing
the interval by 5 minutes. Such that 4tph is a frequent enough service
it's turn-up-and-go for most users.

Only if the 4 trains per hour are evenly spaced...

The core Shipley to Leeds service has 4 trains per hour. But the trains
have departure trains of xx:09, xx:14, xx:39, xx:44. This isn't really
turn-up-and-go.
--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at
Old July 20th 11, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 04:44:44 -0700 (PDT)
plcd1 wrote:
In broad terms I'd say yes. It is certainly a decent service level to
begin a new rail service with. We're not talking about a tube line
nor a tram line in an urban area where the UK expectation would be a

But the ELL is essentially being marketed as an almost-tube line so they
should back it up with a tube like service.

B2003

Old July 20th 11, 12:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:53:11 on
Wed, 20 Jul 2011, Jeremy Double remarked:

Many people would kill for 4tph. My own view (coloured in some part by
being a past user of the outer fringes of the Met line) is that
something magic happens between 3tph and 4tph - despite it only reducing
the interval by 5 minutes. Such that 4tph is a frequent enough service
it's turn-up-and-go for most users.

Only if the 4 trains per hour are evenly spaced...

Agreed. I've often said how East Midlands Parkway's 2tph is really two
trains once an hour.

The core Shipley to Leeds service has 4 trains per hour. But the
trains have departure trains of xx:09, xx:14, xx:39, xx:44. This isn't
really turn-up-and-go.

The airport services at both Amsterdam and Geneva are numerous, but
quite poorly spaced, which catches some people out.