Old July 22nd 11, 06:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Overground SLL link

On Jul 21, 10:41*am, (Dave) wrote:

More lines with those crap trains and having to sit facing someone and
not being able to get a decent view out of the windows.

Only trainspotters could possibly want to look out of windows on
workings 378s do.

There is nothing else to see.

And I use 378s on NLL trains 2 to 4 times per week through Willesden
Junction, and there no worry about seeing anything worth seeing train
spotting wise, not that I collect numbers any more.

--
Nick

Old July 22nd 11, 07:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

These days there
are decent numbers of people using Bethnal Green and plenty of people
get on and off at Hackney Downs. People also seem to use Cambridge
Heath and London Fields but not in massive numbers. NXEA stations
aren't the best though and I suspect the "London Overground spec" would
brighten them up and make them feel much safer and "looked after" than
they appear at present.

Certainly agree with that - I used commute from London Fields a lot, and
certainly London Fields was a truly horrible station in almost all ways -
the lowest part being someone shooting-up on the staircase in the evening
rush hour as people were getting off the train. No facilities, no staff
(ever?) almost no shelter if it rained, ugh - horrible. Yet it was such a
great journey - you got a seat without any problem, at any stage of
either rush hour, so it had great potential, and while Cambridge Heath
has good competition from Bethnal Green tube, London Fields has a large
catchment area with limited alternative routes - it could be a great
station, especially as the neighbourhood is particularly up and coming.
Old July 23rd 11, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Does anyone know why all of the Temporary Signs on London Overground
stations have been replaced with permanent signs which appear to be
identical to the temporary ones in every way, except that they don't
have "Temporary Sign' written on them?

(This reminds me of the bit in Grimble where the fridge contains nothing
but a biscuit bearing the message in green ink "Do not eat this biscuit,
as green ink is poisonous".)
Old July 23rd 11, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I thought that official TfL policy was to describe the lines as
"Richmond to Stratford" etc rather than NLL, ELL etc. I would guess
that the expectation is that the official naming policy should be used
on any announcements about disruptions or planned closures. Still this
weekend there are no planned works at all on the Overground network!

Thanks; you are of course right. So, apart from all the other issues,
it's a complete non-starter unless and until generally accepted
abbreviations emerge for "Richmond/Clapham Junction to Stratford" et al.

And thanks for all the other points too.

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old July 23rd 11, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
wrote:
That is all very useful. But I do also wonder about the treatment of
the Overground as a single entity.

I thought that official TfL policy was to describe the lines as
"Richmond to Stratford" etc rather than NLL, ELL etc.

I've seen material that refers to "Overground Route 1", "Overground
Route 2", etc.

1: Richmond to Stratford
2: Euston to Watford Junction
3: GOBLIN
4: ELL

There's a shortage of easily-distinguished colours, but it would be nice
for each of these to have an official name of its own.

[Perhaps they could be coloured orange with a contrasting stripe in the
middle; District green for 1, Bakerloo brown for 2, black for 3, and
Met. mauve for 4.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org