Old January 2nd 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster renewal question...

When purchasing a new ticket for an oyster-card online, the ticket is added
to the card when going through a gate at some nominated station... all well
and good.

What happens however when there is a gap between dates covered by the
tickets, such that the new ticket is actually being purchased after the
previous one runs out? How can I pass through a ticket gate to renew the
card, if I have no valid tickets on the card?

Should I just turn up to the station and try it on a barrier a few days
before the new ticket begins? I presume it would reject the card, but would
it still write the new ticket?

Ta.

J.

Old January 2nd 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TC TC is offline

"Jason G Doig" wrote in message
What happens however when there is a gap between dates covered by the
tickets, such that the new ticket is actually being purchased after the
previous one runs out? How can I pass through a ticket gate to renew the
card, if I have no valid tickets on the card?

Just pass through on the day that the new ticket starts - it should load the
new ticket and let you through at the same time.

Self-service machines at the nominated station _might_ be able to load
tickets too, somebody will need to confirm that.

--
TC

Old January 3rd 04, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

But if your first use is on a bus, or from another station that won't work.
But you don't have to "pass" through the barrier" to load. Just touch it,and
although it will reject, it should load..

Lawrence Myers

Old January 4th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Lawrence Myers wrote:
But you don't have to "pass" through the barrier" to load. Just touch it,and
although it will reject, it should load..

Confirmed: this is how it worked for me.
Old January 6th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"james007" wrote in message
Lawrence Myers wrote:
But you don't have to "pass" through the barrier" to load. Just touch

it,and
although it will reject, it should load..

Confirmed: this is how it worked for me.

Cheers for the comments folks. As it happens, the card loaded and the
barrier opened at the same time. Which is nice - but I'm not sure what I
need to allow four days for (as per the standard advice) if it can work like
that...

J.