Old August 1st 11, 02:25 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Visibility of next stations

"1506" wrote in message

Are there any other places on LUL, or even on NR within London, where
two stations are easily visible from other?

Between Turnham Graeen and Ravenscourt Park several stations are
visible from each other.

And Turnham Green is just about visible from Chiswick Park.

Old August 1st 11, 02:32 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 2011\08\01 15:25, Recliner wrote:
wrote in message

Are there any other places on LUL, or even on NR within London, where
two stations are easily visible from other?

Between Turnham Graeen and Ravenscourt Park several stations are
visible from each other.

And Turnham Green is just about visible from Chiswick Park.

Which makes it ironic that some of the discussion about stopping Picc
trains at Turnham Green has revolved around the expense of resignalling.
Old August 26th 11, 05:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On 25/07/2011 13:55, Martin L wrote:
On Jul 23, 7:02 pm, Chris wrote:
Walked along the prom from Brighton last week, and ended up at
Fishersgate.

From the platforms, it is possible to see the neighbouring stations of
Southwick and Portslade. As in, you can see the outlines of the
platforms and watch trains approach, call at and leave both stations
reasonably clearly. Whilst my vision was excellent as a teenager, it
is little better than average now.

There are quite a few cases where one neighbouring station is visible
- indeed, I can see the buffer stops at Seaford from Bishopstone.
However, away from the Underground and light rail/tram systems, I
can't off hand think of another example where two neighbouring
stations are visible.

So, any other examples?

I've a dim memory of waiting for a train a long time ago at a station,
probably in north London, and realising that I could see all the way
through a tunnel to the next station. I'm not 100% certain that I
could actually see the platforms - it might just be that I could see a
train stopped in the next station. I'm thinking that it was probably
the tunnel between Hampstead Heath and Finchley Road& Froghal on the
North London Line.

Yes. It's dead straight and you can see right through from the eastbound
platforms at both FR&F and HH.

If this is the case, might you also be able to see West Hampstead from
Finchley Road& Frognal?

No. The track curves a bit too much.

Jim Hawkins

Old August 26th 11, 09:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

If this is the case, might you also be able to see West Hampstead from
Finchley Road& *Frognal?

Definitely not.

--
Nick
Old August 29th 11, 12:35 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Are there any other places on LUL, or even on NR within London, where
two stations are easily visible from other?
From the east-bound platform at Mile End Station, Bow Road Station is clearly visible.

Old August 29th 11, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/08/2011 01:35, Robin9 wrote:
;121648 Wrote:

Are there any other places on LUL, or even on NR within London, where
two stations are easily visible from other?

From the east-bound platform at Mile End Station, Bow Road Station is
clearly visible.

One can also see Monument from Cannon Street, eastbound.
Old September 5th 11, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 29, 11:58*am, "
wrote:
On 29/08/2011 01:35, Robin9 wrote: ;121648 Wrote:

Are there any other places on LUL, or even on NR within London, where
two stations are easily visible from other?

*From the east-bound platform at Mile End Station, Bow Road Station is
clearly visible.

One can also see Monument from Cannon Street, eastbound.

You can see Canada Water from Rotherhithe, Mile End from Bow Road,
Fairlop from Hainault, Turnham Green from Stamford Brook, Finchley
Road & Frognal from Hampstead Heath, Lower Sydenham from New Beckenham
(just!), and Grange Park from Winchmore Hill (just!). And there must
be millions of examples on the DLR, given the very short spacing,
especially around Canary Wharf.