London Banter

-   -   why are the new Victoria and trains so slow? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/12180-why-new-victoria-trains-so.html)

GSV 3 minds in a can August 7th 11 11:23 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

Just my observation, the new victoria line trains seem to crawl to the
next station wait for an eternity then crawl off again.
This has happened on the last 3 times I have used this line. The old
trains seemed to have much faster journey times with more comfortable
seats.
Also on the met line the new train goes at a snails pace. The journey
from baker street to Wembley park was painfully slow.

Why is this?

Mizter T August 7th 11 01:19 PM

"GSV 3 minds in a can" wrote:

Just my observation, the new victoria line trains seem to crawl to the
next station wait for an eternity then crawl off again.
This has happened on the last 3 times I have used this line. The old
trains seemed to have much faster journey times with more comfortable
seats.
Also on the met line the new train goes at a snails pace. The journey
from baker street to Wembley park was painfully slow.

Why is this?

The Victoria line is still on the old signalling system - things will speed
up when the new system goes live (and the new trains are unleashed). However
the new 09 stock trains at present are not any slower than the old 67 stock
trains - just sounds as though you got a bit unlucky in getting caught up in
some congestion (of the sort that should hopefully not happen, at least not
so much, with the new signalling system).

The Met line again is still on the old signalling system (elements of which
are *really* old) - the new system is coming, but still some way down the
pipeline.

The performance of both sets of new stock is (UIVMM) superior to the old
stock it has replaced / is replacing - it's just all about the new
signalling systems being in place to support that superior performance.

[email protected] August 8th 11 08:45 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:19:01 +0100
"Mizter T" wrote:
The performance of both sets of new stock is (UIVMM) superior to the old
stock it has replaced / is replacing - it's just all about the new
signalling systems being in place to support that superior performance.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if these new stocks get superior
performance from the same amount of electricity or are they just sucking
up more of the stuff?

B2003

[email protected] August 8th 11 09:53 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article , d ()
wrote:

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:19:01 +0100
"Mizter T" wrote:
The performance of both sets of new stock is (UIVMM) superior to the old
stock it has replaced / is replacing - it's just all about the new
signalling systems being in place to support that superior performance.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if these new stocks get superior
performance from the same amount of electricity or are they just sucking
up more of the stuff?

It rather depends how you count the introduction of regenerative braking,
surely?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] August 8th 11 10:17 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 04:53:12 -0500
wrote:
In article ,
d ()
wrote:

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 14:19:01 +0100
"Mizter T" wrote:
The performance of both sets of new stock is (UIVMM) superior to the old
stock it has replaced / is replacing - it's just all about the new
signalling systems being in place to support that superior performance.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if these new stocks get superior
performance from the same amount of electricity or are they just sucking
up more of the stuff?

It rather depends how you count the introduction of regenerative braking,
surely?

I was assuming without. The effectiveness of regenerative braking varies
anyway , plus I don't understand how it can work well on the tube with all the
seperate sections of traction supply the lines have. Surely it will only
work if theres another train fairly close by?

B2003

D A Stocks[_2_] August 8th 11 10:21 PM

wrote:

It rather depends how you count the introduction of regenerative braking,
surely?

I was assuming without. The effectiveness of regenerative braking varies
anyway , plus I don't understand how it can work well on the tube with all
the
seperate sections of traction supply the lines have. Surely it will only
work if theres another train fairly close by?

Not necessarily. I understand one of the prerequisites for the introduction
of regenerative braking on the Central Line was a requirement to replace
older motors in escalators at stations. They share their supply with the
traction and needed to be able to handle the greater variations in supply
voltage.

--
DAS

[email protected] August 9th 11 09:54 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 23:21:06 +0100
"D A Stocks" wrote:
Not necessarily. I understand one of the prerequisites for the introduction
of regenerative braking on the Central Line was a requirement to replace
older motors in escalators at stations. They share their supply with the
traction and needed to be able to handle the greater variations in supply
voltage.

Does that mean the escalators speed up slightly when a train brakes into
a station? :) Seems a good idea - get the passengers from the last train
out of the station quicker!

B2003

Roland Perry August 9th 11 12:46 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In message , at 23:21:06 on Mon, 8 Aug
2011, D A Stocks remarked:
I understand one of the prerequisites for the introduction of
regenerative braking on the Central Line was a requirement to replace
older motors in escalators at stations. They share their supply with
the traction and needed to be able to handle the greater variations in
supply voltage.

That's quite interesting. I've been at a couple of National Rail
stations (one SWT, one FCC) where the power had failed to the station
itself, but remained in place for the trains. Neither had escalators.

Roland Perry August 9th 11 12:47 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In message , at 09:54:29 on Tue, 9 Aug
2011, d remarked:
I understand one of the prerequisites for the introduction
of regenerative braking on the Central Line was a requirement to replace
older motors in escalators at stations. They share their supply with the
traction and needed to be able to handle the greater variations in supply
voltage.

Does that mean the escalators speed up slightly when a train brakes into
a station? :) Seems a good idea - get the passengers from the last train
out of the station quicker!

Hopefully they stay the same speed, but don't draw as much "external"
power for a few seconds.

[email protected] August 9th 11 01:10 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 13:47:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:54:29 on Tue, 9 Aug
2011, d remarked:
I understand one of the prerequisites for the introduction
of regenerative braking on the Central Line was a requirement to replace
older motors in escalators at stations. They share their supply with the
traction and needed to be able to handle the greater variations in supply
voltage.

Does that mean the escalators speed up slightly when a train brakes into
a station? :) Seems a good idea - get the passengers from the last train
out of the station quicker!

Hopefully they stay the same speed, but don't draw as much "external"
power for a few seconds.

Ah pity. I had images of a couple of particularly full trains pulling into
a station at the same time and people being flung off the top of the
escalator over the ticket barriers :)

B2003

[email protected] August 9th 11 04:49 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article , d ()
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 13:47:22 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:54:29 on Tue, 9 Aug
2011,
d remarked:
I understand one of the prerequisites for the introduction
of regenerative braking on the Central Line was a requirement to
replace older motors in escalators at stations. They share their supply
with the traction and needed to be able to handle the greater
variations in supply voltage.

Does that mean the escalators speed up slightly when a train brakes into
a station? :) Seems a good idea - get the passengers from the last train
out of the station quicker!

Hopefully they stay the same speed, but don't draw as much "external"
power for a few seconds.

Ah pity. I had images of a couple of particularly full trains pulling into
a station at the same time and people being flung off the top of the
escalator over the ticket barriers :)

Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in Northern
City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction supply so
dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the platform was empty
at that point as the passengers had all got on the departing train but we
were changing directions there on the Underground trip in 1970.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams August 9th 11 06:19 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 13:46:11 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:
That's quite interesting. I've been at a couple of National Rail
stations (one SWT, one FCC) where the power had failed to the

station
itself, but remained in place for the trains. Neither had

escalators.

Unlike NR, LUL once had dedicated generating capacity, so it kind-of
makes sense.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

[email protected] August 9th 11 07:10 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

I have a couple of questions about the external lights on the '09 stock.

A few weeks ago, I saw a disabled '09 train limp into a station. Just
above the right headlight (driver's side), there was a red light that
was flashing.

Anybody know what that light's for? I would assume that it is a newer
version of the handbrake light, but the fact that it was flashing makes
me wonder.

I also wanted to know something about the guard lights mounted on the
side of each railcar, which can display red and white in two different
lenses.

I know that red will indicate if a door is open. But what does the white
one indicate, that the alarm in that particular railcar was activated?

[email protected] August 9th 11 07:46 PM

wrote:
That's quite interesting. I've been at a couple of National Rail
stations (one SWT, one FCC) where the power had failed to the station
itself, but remained in place for the trains. Neither had escalators.

Unlike NR, LUL once had dedicated generating capacity, so it kind-of
makes sense.

Even the present NR had generating capacity at one time. It was decided that
the National Grid would be better value. It's hard to see that they were
wrong.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Neil Williams August 9th 11 08:54 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 14:46:19 -0500,
wrote:
Even the present NR had generating capacity at one time. It was

decided that
the National Grid would be better value. It's hard to see that they

were
wrong.

Perhaps the difference is that stations on the mainline had electric
lighting long before the wires went up, unlike the deep Tube.

Neil

--
Neil Williams, Milton Keynes, UK

[email protected] August 9th 11 10:23 PM

wrote:
Even the present NR had generating capacity at one time. It was decided
that the National Grid would be better value. It's hard to see that they
were wrong.

Perhaps the difference is that stations on the mainline had electric
lighting long before the wires went up, unlike the deep Tube.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remember lots of stations with only oil or
gas lighting.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard J.[_3_] August 10th 11 08:50 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

wrote on 09 August 2011 23:23:24 ...

wrote:
Even the present NR had generating capacity at one time. It was decided
that the National Grid would be better value. It's hard to see that they
were wrong.

Perhaps the difference is that stations on the mainline had electric
lighting long before the wires went up, unlike the deep Tube.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remember lots of stations with only oil or
gas lighting.

Yes, I well remember in the 1950s waiting on the Catford down platform
for the 16:12 home from school and watching the porter walking up the
platform lighting each gas lamp. This was at least 25 years after the
line had been electrified, but such mod cons hadn't reached the stations.
--
Richard J.

Peter Campbell Smith[_5_] August 10th 11 03:45 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

"Richard J." wrote in
:

Yes, I well remember in the 1950s waiting on the Catford down platform
for the 16:12 home from school and watching the porter walking up the
platform lighting each gas lamp. This was at least 25 years after the
line had been electrified, but such mod cons hadn't reached the
stations.

When I moved to Surrey in 1980 some of the trains (4-SUBs?) still had
paraffin tail lights, despite being electric trains running on a line that
had been electrified some 50 years earlier.

I guessed at the time it might have been because they shared track with
diesel (and earlier, steam) trains, and if the power failed the oil lamps
kept burning to warn non-electric trains they were there. Or was there
another reason?

Peter

--
|| Peter CS | Epsom | UK ||

[email protected] August 10th 11 06:27 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article , (Peter
Campbell Smith) wrote:

"Richard J." wrote in
:

Yes, I well remember in the 1950s waiting on the Catford down platform
for the 16:12 home from school and watching the porter walking up the
platform lighting each gas lamp. This was at least 25 years after the
line had been electrified, but such mod cons hadn't reached the
stations.

When I moved to Surrey in 1980 some of the trains (4-SUBs?) still had
paraffin tail lights, despite being electric trains running on a line
that had been electrified some 50 years earlier.

I guessed at the time it might have been because they shared track
with diesel (and earlier, steam) trains, and if the power failed the
oil lamps kept burning to warn non-electric trains they were there.
Or was there another reason?

The whole of BR and LT had oil tail lamps until very recently. It was only
when battery technology improved to near to current standards that they went.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] August 12th 11 07:39 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In message , Richard J.
wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remember lots of stations with only oil or
gas lighting.

Yes, I well remember in the 1950s waiting on the Catford down platform
for the 16:12 home from school and watching the porter walking up the
platform lighting each gas lamp. This was at least 25 years after the
line had been electrified, but such mod cons hadn't reached the stations.

Adrian Vaughan writes of the modernisation of Uffington signal box. The
new box had track circuits and an illuminated display, but the box had
no electric lighting, just a Tilley lamp. However, one of the signalmen
was the local union rep. and soon got that altered!

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org

Robin9 August 13th 11 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 121904)
Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in Northern City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction supply so dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the platform was empty at that point as the passengers had all got on the departing train but we were changing directions there on the Underground trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

I did occasionally use Essex Road Station in those days. I didn't pay attention to esoteric details such as lights dimming but I do remember vividly that the entire line seemed dingy and run down and that all the stations had poor lighting. The line was definitely the poor relation of the London Underground family.

[email protected] August 13th 11 10:26 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see of your
post.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Jim[_3_] August 13th 11 10:40 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article , Robin9.88bf9c3
@londonbanter.co.uk says...

;121904 Wrote:
Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in
Northern City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction
supply so dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the
platform was empty at that point as the passengers had all got on the
departing train but we were changing directions there on the Underground
trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

I did occasionally use Essex Road Station in those days. I didn't pay
attention to esoteric details such as lights dimming but I do remember
vividly that the entire line seemed dingy and run down and that all the
stations had poor lighting. The line was definitely the poor relation of
the London Underground family.

--
Robin9

In the late fifties I recall, as you say, lighting was poor and the
tiling was pretty grim as well.

Then, Essex Road platforms had diamond-shaped roundels and included
Canonbury in the wording.

[email protected] August 13th 11 10:56 AM

On 13/08/2011 10:08, Robin9 wrote:
;121904 Wrote:
Did anyone else here ever stand on the platform at Essex Road in
Northern City Line days? The platform lights were fed from the traction
supply so dimmed sharply when a train started away. Of course the
platform was empty at that point as the passengers had all got on the
departing train but we were changing directions there on the Underground
trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

I did occasionally use Essex Road Station in those days. I didn't pay
attention to esoteric details such as lights dimming but I do remember
vividly that the entire line seemed dingy and run down and that all the
stations had poor lighting. The line was definitely the poor relation of
the London Underground family.

What plans exist now for the Northern City Line?

Roger[_2_] August 13th 11 11:22 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see of your
post.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?
--
Roger

[email protected] August 13th 11 05:06 PM

lid (Roger) wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel
Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see

of your post.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?

I can see the raw text that reached my newsfeed and what I quoted is all
there is. It seems to be something about Robin's news arrangements because
I've seen the effect before and only with his postings.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard J.[_3_] August 13th 11 06:03 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

wrote on 13 August 2011 18:06:42 ...
In ,
lid (Roger) wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel
Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see

of yourpost.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?

I can see the raw text that reached my newsfeed and what I quoted is all
there is. It seems to be something about Robin's news arrangements because
I've seen the effect before and only with his postings.

Maybe it's some sort of interaction problem between his outgoing
newsfeed and your incoming newsfeed. My news server (Virgin Media) has
received his complete post, as has LondonBanter.co.uk and Google Groups.
--
Richard J.

[email protected] August 13th 11 07:15 PM

lid (Roger) wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In ,
(Robin9) wrote:

trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel
Robin9

Is there something wrong with your newsreader? This is all I can see
of yourpost.

If you can't see the four-and-a-half line paragraph that Robin9
wrote doesn't that mean there is something wrong at your end?

I can see the raw text that reached my newsfeed and what I quoted is all
there is. It seems to be something about Robin's news arrangements
because I've seen the effect before and only with his postings.

Maybe it's some sort of interaction problem between his outgoing
newsfeed and your incoming newsfeed. My news server (Virgin Media)
has received his complete post, as has LondonBanter.co.uk and Google
Groups.

My news comes via Giganews, hardly a two bit outfit. As I said, it's only
Robin's messages.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9 August 13th 11 07:50 PM

My post did not contain the phrase "trip in 1970" so it is likely the problem is at your end.

[email protected] August 13th 11 09:34 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

In article
,
(Robin9) wrote:
--
trip in 1970.

Colin Rosenstiel-
Robin9-

your
post.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Robin9

Same problem again. Not a lot there!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather[_2_] August 13th 11 10:28 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In message ,
wrote:
[...]
Same problem again. Not a lot there!

You seem to be the only one experiencing it.

[email protected] August 13th 11 11:08 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article , (Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
[...]
Same problem again. Not a lot there!

You seem to be the only one experiencing it.

Am I the only one here using Giganews?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Eric[_3_] August 13th 11 11:09 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

On 2011-08-13,
wrote:
In article ,

lid (Roger) wrote:

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 05:26:34 -0500,
wrote:

In ,
(Robin9) wrote:

[...]

So does mine and I see the whole message.

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry

Recliner[_2_] August 14th 11 12:17 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

wrote in message

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
[...]
Same problem again. Not a lot there!

You seem to be the only one experiencing it.

Am I the only one here using Giganews?

No, I use Giganews too, and see the full messages. The problem would
appear to be at your end.

[email protected] August 14th 11 08:59 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote in message

In article ,

(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
[...]
Same problem again. Not a lot there!

You seem to be the only one experiencing it.

Am I the only one here using Giganews?

No, I use Giganews too, and see the full messages. The problem would
appear to be at your end.

Very strange. Can you or Eric copy the whole of his last post including
headers to me by email please and I'll contact my ISP.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Eric[_3_] August 14th 11 09:55 AM

On 2011-08-13, wrote:
In article ,
(Clive D.
W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
[...]
Same problem again. Not a lot there!

You seem to be the only one experiencing it.

Am I the only one here using Giganews?

No, but you do seem to be the only one using Ameol.

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry

[email protected] August 14th 11 11:36 AM

On 2011-08-13,

wrote:
In article ,

(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
[...]
Same problem again. Not a lot there!

You seem to be the only one experiencing it.

Am I the only one here using Giganews?

No, but you do seem to be the only one using Ameol.

Maybe true (I can think of one other possible user here) but I'm looking at
the raw messages which shouldn't be affected by the newsreader. Anyway, why
are Robin's the only Usenet posts in several groups giving me this problem?
That's the mystery.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_2_] August 14th 11 11:43 AM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

wrote in message

In article ,

On 2011-08-13,

wrote:
In article ,

(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In message ,
wrote:
[...]
Same problem again. Not a lot there!

You seem to be the only one experiencing it.

Am I the only one here using Giganews?

No, but you do seem to be the only one using Ameol.

Maybe true (I can think of one other possible user here) but I'm
looking at the raw messages which shouldn't be affected by the
newsreader. Anyway, why are Robin's the only Usenet posts in several
groups giving me this problem? That's the mystery.

Here's the full details of the post you first complained about:

From: Robin9
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:08:18 +0100
http://www.giganews.com

[email protected] August 14th 11 12:09 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

wrote in message

In article ,

From: Robin9
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:08:18 +0100
http://www.giganews.com

;121904 Wrote:
[...]

Thanks. I did in fact see that text in Jim's response to it.

Eric kindly sent me one message as he received it via Giganews. The weird
bit is that the path details are identical for him and me so it's definitely
a problem at my ISP. I'm waiting for a response from them now.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_2_] August 14th 11 12:51 PM

why are the new Victoria and trains so slow?

wrote in message

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

Thanks. I did in fact see that text in Jim's response to it.

Eric kindly sent me one message as he received it via Giganews. The
weird bit is that the path details are identical for him and me so
it's definitely a problem at my ISP. I'm waiting for a response from
them now.

I thought it was the headers you were interested in?