Old January 4th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 83 tube stock

There's still one train of 83 stock in Uxbridge sidings. Is this the only
one left, and why hasn't it been scrapped like all the others?

Old January 4th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Orienteer
writes
There's still one train of 83 stock in Uxbridge sidings. Is this the only
one left, and why hasn't it been scrapped like all the others?

Oh no, we still have 1.5 trains in South Harrow sidings and two trains
at the east end of Cockfosters depot. I think there are one or two
others scattered about too, but I'm not sure where.
Old January 5th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote in message ...
In message , Orienteer
writes
There's still one train of 83 stock in Uxbridge sidings. Is this the only
one left, and why hasn't it been scrapped like all the others?

Oh no, we still have 1.5 trains in South Harrow sidings and two trains
at the east end of Cockfosters depot. I think there are one or two
others scattered about too, but I'm not sure where.

The ones in Harrow sidings have pretty much been scrapped already by
the local vandals, does LUL realise it still has all this redundant
stock lying around? I mean the 1972ts mkI has not turned a wheel since
1999/2000 and the 83ts not since 1998!! So why are they still around?
Old January 5th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
Oh no, we still have 1.5 trains in South Harrow sidings and two trains
at the east end of Cockfosters depot. I think there are one or two
others scattered about too, but I'm not sure where.

There are still a fair number of cars in the p-way sidings at Neasden Depot,
awaiting scrapping. If anyone wants to photograph these, they are stored
right next to the Quainton Street entrance to Neasden Depot, and would be
easily photographed from there.

As for "why haven't the remaining ones been removed yet?", according to the
Engineering Manager of TransPlant the job of actually moving them proved
both difficult and time-consuming, and "the money ran out".

Old January 6th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Splett" wrote in message ...
As for "why haven't the remaining ones been removed yet?", according to the
Engineering Manager of TransPlant the job of actually moving them proved
both difficult and time-consuming, and "the money ran out".

I suspect they've only got themselves to blame for that. If they'd kept them
in good condition theres probably no reason they couldn't have been hauled
away by rail one night. Now I suspect they'd have to be removed by road for
safety reasons and thats why it would be expensive.

B2003
Old January 6th 04, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
I suspect they've only got themselves to blame for that. If they'd kept

them
in good condition

Indeed. Whilst these trains were doomed from the day the JLE was authorized,
it's a pity they couldn't have stored them somewhere more secure. One
cannot help but think that the proposal to use these trains on the
Piccadilly Line was merely a fabrication to soften the blow of scrapping
trains that had been in service for ten years. Dumping the trains at South
Harrow allowed them to blame the local vandals if necessary.

The Aldwych branch would make a secure storage facility...

theres probably no reason they couldn't have been hauled
away by rail one night. Now I suspect they'd have to be removed by road

for
safety reasons and thats why it would be expensive.

AIUI, the trains are being moved by rail to Neasden Depot (subject to severe
speed restriction), thence stored on the p-way sidings there (pending
removal of any components that might be useful), and transferred by road to
Rotherham as and when required. Most movements these days are done by road
anyway, since this is cheaper and avoids the need to get Network Rail
approval.

Old January 6th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Splett" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
I suspect they've only got themselves to blame for that. If they'd kept

them
in good condition

Indeed. Whilst these trains were doomed from the day the JLE was authorized,
it's a pity they couldn't have stored them somewhere more secure. One
cannot help but think that the proposal to use these trains on the
Piccadilly Line was merely a fabrication to soften the blow of scrapping
trains that had been in service for ten years. Dumping the trains at South
Harrow allowed them to blame the local vandals if necessary.

Since they were doomed there was not much point in keeping them in
good condition. Even if a new use had been found they would have
required extensive rebuilding, no matter what state they had been kept
in, because they were not much good in their original configuration -
that is why they were withdrawn so young and not cascaded to other
lines. The additional cost of maintaining them, or for renting
storage space in a secure location, would probably have been more than
the extra cost of moving them by road now. One driving-motor has been
preserved, surely there is no need for any more of the most useless
tube-stock in recent history.
Old January 7th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"umpston" wrote in message
om...
One driving-motor has been preserved, surely there is no need for any more

of the most useless tube-stock in recent history.

A little bit unfair, I feel. The 83 stock (reliability aside) worked well on
the Jubilee and was generally well liked by the punters. It was only really
the fact that single-leaf doors would not have been suitable for the EJL
that spelt their demise, along with the cost advantages of an extended run
of the 96 stock to replace the 83s versus the costs of modifying the 83s.
Had the EJL not happened then the 83s would have soldiered on for many more
years.