Old October 9th 04, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Withdrawn tube stock - still about?

Anyone know if there are still examples of 72/83ts around the network
as there used to be? I know some examples are now coke cans and razor
blades but have all of them been taken away? If not are they
photographable? Thanks in advance!

Old October 9th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brendan" wrote in message
.. .
The is 83TS still at South Harrow sidings.

I think there are still one or two units at Uxbridge, but I haven't been
there for a while so this may now have changed. Best vantage point for the
South Harrow ones is the footbridge off South Hill Avenue (turn right out of
the station, take first right into South Hill Avenue, the footpath leading
to the bridge is on the right after about 300yds).

72Ts at Acton Works, Aldwych and MOD Shoeburyness.

At least one unit is still at Hainault AFAIK. I don't think the Hainault one
is easily photographed (possibly, distantly, from passing trains), and
obviously the one at Aldwych is inaccessible.

Those at Acton Works can be photographed from a footpath which runs
alongside the sidings. Go to Park Place, Acton, and enter the one-time LT
Sports Ground. Adjacent to the entrance (I can't remember exactly where) you
turn left through a gate into a well-defined, but derelict, footpath. After
about 150m you end up alongside the security fence, and the 72ts is stabled
just to your left, and not too distant.

The Shoeburyness units are clearly visible from the nearby road (200yds
distant), and could easily be photographed. Bear in mind that this is MOD
property, so if you want to take photographs I would suggest you do it
quickly and don't hang around too long!

I think there's still a 72ts in London Road depot: best vantage point is
from Lambeth Road or St. Georges Road (near where the two meet).

DS.

Old October 10th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Splett" wrote in message ...
"Brendan" wrote in message
.. .
The is 83TS still at South Harrow sidings.

I think there are still one or two units at Uxbridge, but I haven't been
there for a while so this may now have changed. Best vantage point for the
South Harrow ones is the footbridge off South Hill Avenue (turn right out of
the station, take first right into South Hill Avenue, the footpath leading
to the bridge is on the right after about 300yds).

I went to South Harrow yesterday and interestingly some units have
been removed but some have remained, which I find very curious! The
train on the furthest line away from the Piccadilly Line has been
split to leave 3 cars beghind. Photographs from my tour of disused
stock in 2002 and my return visit to South Harrow yesterday now online
at http://www.underground.fotopic.net/

72Ts at Acton Works, Aldwych and MOD Shoeburyness.

At least one unit is still at Hainault AFAIK. I don't think the Hainault one
is easily photographed (possibly, distantly, from passing trains), and
obviously the one at Aldwych is inaccessible.

When I went in 2002 there were several, again anyone know why one has
been left behind? Can anyone say if there is any photographic
possibility? As for Aldwych I heard a rumour it was to be replaced a
while back.

Those at Acton Works can be photographed from a footpath which runs
alongside the sidings. Go to Park Place, Acton, and enter the one-time LT
Sports Ground. Adjacent to the entrance (I can't remember exactly where) you
turn left through a gate into a well-defined, but derelict, footpath. After
about 150m you end up alongside the security fence, and the 72ts is stabled
just to your left, and not too distant.

This is most intriguing, I think I will have to take a butchers. Is it
possible to photo through the fencing? Is the unit still there? Anyone
any photos of the units? Whats the nearest station?

The Shoeburyness units are clearly visible from the nearby road (200yds
distant), and could easily be photographed. Bear in mind that this is MOD
property, so if you want to take photographs I would suggest you do it
quickly and don't hang around too long!

Hmmm....dubious on this one! Dont fancy getting me camera conviscated!

I think there's still a 72ts in London Road depot: best vantage point is
from Lambeth Road or St. Georges Road (near where the two meet).

Thanks for tip off, again, anyone know of photographic potential?

There was one at Lillie Bridge (near Kensington Olympia) Depot, anyone
know if its gone?

Sorry for all the questions guys!

CIG_BIG_CIG

Old October 10th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...
When I went in 2002 there were several, again anyone know why one has
been left behind? Can anyone say if there is any photographic
possibility? As for Aldwych I heard a rumour it was to be replaced a
while back.

As far as South Harrow is concerned, and possibly Hainault, a given amount
of money was set aside for getting the units mobile and off to the torcher.
To quote a senior manager of TransPlant responsible for the movements, "the
money ran out".

Those at Acton Works can be photographed from a footpath which runs
alongside the sidings. Go to Park Place, Acton, and enter the one-time

LT
Sports Ground. Adjacent to the entrance (I can't remember exactly where)

you
turn left through a gate into a well-defined, but derelict, footpath.

After
about 150m you end up alongside the security fence, and the 72ts is

stabled
just to your left, and not too distant.

This is most intriguing, I think I will have to take a butchers. Is it
possible to photo through the fencing? Is the unit still there? Anyone
any photos of the units? Whats the nearest station?

The ones at Acton can easily be photographed, though you will be doing it
through a wire fence. I think I have a (poor) photo, taken last year
probably at about 0300 or such! Nearest station is at Acton Town, if you
were to look at the map posters on arrival you wouldn't have any difficulty
finding it. Park Place is off Gunnersbury Avenue, IIRC.

The Shoeburyness units are clearly visible from the nearby road (200yds
distant), and could easily be photographed. Bear in mind that this is

MOD
property, so if you want to take photographs I would suggest you do it
quickly and don't hang around too long!

Hmmm....dubious on this one! Dont fancy getting me camera conviscated!

If you did it quickly enough you wouldn't have a problem...

I think there's still a 72ts in London Road depot: best vantage point is
from Lambeth Road or St. Georges Road (near where the two meet).

Thanks for tip off, again, anyone know of photographic potential?

Oh, the one at London Road (assuming it hasn't moved) is very easy to
photograph. If you do it from above the tunnel portal there's even a
foot-stool provided for the purpose!

There was one at Lillie Bridge (near Kensington Olympia) Depot, anyone
know if its gone?

Forgot about that one. AFAIK it's still there; you would have no difficulty
photographing it from the A4 flyover.

Old October 11th 04, 04:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Splett" wrote in message

The Shoeburyness units are clearly visible from
the nearby road (200yds distant), and could easily
be photographed. Bear in mind that this is MOD
property, so if you want to take photographs I
would suggest you do it quickly and don't hang
around too long!

Hmmm....dubious on this one! Dont fancy getting me camera conviscated!

If you did it quickly enough you wouldn't have a problem...

Mightn't have a problem, or might. It isn't worth it, though. Getting your
camera confiscated is the least of your worries, especially since we are
currently a country which is basically at war. Remember the Greek plane
spotters!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 11th 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"David Splett" wrote in message

The Shoeburyness units are clearly visible from
the nearby road (200yds distant), and could easily
be photographed. Bear in mind that this is MOD
property, so if you want to take photographs I
would suggest you do it quickly and don't hang
around too long!

Hmmm....dubious on this one! Dont fancy getting me camera conviscated!

If you did it quickly enough you wouldn't have a problem...

Mightn't have a problem, or might. It isn't worth it, though. Getting your
camera confiscated is the least of your worries, especially since we are
currently a country which is basically at war. Remember the Greek plane
spotters!

Well to save me the grief how about anyone who knows letting me know
when any moves may take place! Then I get my photo from public land
and all will be legit!!! I have heard many things said about the
redundant tube stock but I have never thought of it as being part of
national security!!!
Old October 11th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...
[...]

There are still a couple of 83's covered in moss and graffiti, in the
sidings between Cockfosters depot and the platforms. With a long lens you
should be able to get some decent photos from Trent Park or the platform
ends...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old October 11th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Splett" wrote in message ...
"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...
When I went in 2002 there were several, again anyone know why one has
been left behind? Can anyone say if there is any photographic
possibility? As for Aldwych I heard a rumour it was to be replaced a
while back.

As far as South Harrow is concerned, and possibly Hainault, a given amount
of money was set aside for getting the units mobile and off to the torcher.
To quote a senior manager of TransPlant responsible for the movements, "the
money ran out".

Well the operation to remove the units from South Harrow must have
been interesting. Not only were they split (not easy as they had been
coupled and left there for about 5 years) but there is no road access
I can see so this suggests that they went out onto the 'main line' for
one last time, presumably at night, in order to be taken away. Also of
note is that for this operation I assume they would be top n tailed by
battery locos (no way would they move on their own after all this time
surely!) and therefore some serious shunting must have taken place!!

Another question that arises on South Harrow is how the 'artists' got
to the units, were they blatant enough to just walk off the platform
or is there access from what appears to be woods behind the buffer
stops? This may provide (if legit) another photographing point.

As always any help with the above appreciated!!

( Dont forget the website - http://www.underground.fotopic.net/ )
Old October 12th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The graffitti boys and girls got in both ways....from the end of the
platform and over the fence. A few years back a camera was put up so the
station supervisorcould see what was happening in there. Inevitably if the
boys in blue did bother to turn up they would jump the fence....so it was
made higher. Didnt stop them.
The sidings here were not used for a number of years and its only about 2
years ago that a stabler overnight was timetabled.

"CIG_BIG_CIG" wrote in message
om...
"David Splett" wrote in message

om...