Old August 24th 11, 05:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Chaos at Hayes & Harlington - as new C.I.S. mis-informs pax

"CJB" wrote in message
You couldn't make this up. The new c.i.s. has been up and misinforming
passengers for over two weeks - and nothing is being done to correct
the system.

It seems to me that the two monitors are correct - the colour one lists
departures and the b&w lists arrivals - the word 'Arrivals' should be a
clue.

However, I entirely agree with you about last minute platform alterations -
where these are necessary there should be an audible as well as a visual
announcement, then enough time for all passengers to get to the new
platform. If the fault is down to Network Rail FGW should insist that NR
carry the can for any resulting delay minutes.

Peter

Old August 24th 11, 06:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Aug 24, 6:29*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:

"CJB" wrote:
You couldn't make this up. The new c.i.s. has been up and misinforming
passengers for over two weeks - and nothing is being done to correct
the system.

It seems to me that the two monitors are correct - the colour one lists
departures and the b&w lists arrivals - the word 'Arrivals' should be a
clue.

Indeed - though I suppose one could question whether or not a station
like H&H actually needs an arrivals monitor.

However, I entirely agree with you about last minute platform alterations -
where these are necessary there should be an audible as well as a visual
announcement, then enough time for all passengers to get to the new
platform. If the fault is down to Network Rail FGW should insist that NR
carry the can for any resulting delay minutes.

Agreed - I've experienced late platform changes at H&H, it's all seems
like a bit of a shambles. My impression is that FGW seem to kind of
regard their London suburban services as a bit of an afterthought -
possibly not helped by some notion that the Heathrow Connect services
aren't really their business.

(As an aside, I recall a red-faced train driver literally bellowing at
me down a platform as I stood obstructing the doors whilst an elderly
couple negotiated the stairs after a literal last minute platform
change - I did explain myself, but he didn't seem to want to know.
Not, I should add, something that happened on FGW territory.)
Old August 24th 11, 08:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

"CJB" wrote:
[...]

South Eastern avoids this by not announcing them at all. The train
will disappear from the monitor and run unannounced through a
different platform.

I've also known last minute changes happening repeatedly at Finsbury
Park.

I think the winner was at Stratford where the displays showed a train
due in a platform where the line was blocked by one of those red light
things.
Old August 25th 11, 11:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

South Eastern avoids this by not announcing them at all. The train
will disappear from the monitor and run unannounced through a
different platform.

I've also known last minute changes happening repeatedly at Finsbury
Park.

I think the winner was at Stratford where the displays showed a train
due in a platform where the line was blocked by one of those red light
things.

I was astounded once to watch a train at Luton Airport Parkway announced as
approaching and then standing at Platform 1 with complete synchronicity.
The only problem? The train was actually approaching and then standing at
platform 3.

Off it went on it's merry way with the CIS still under the impression it
had been at platform 1.
Old August 25th 11, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25/08/2011 12:59, Lew 1 wrote:
I was astounded once to watch a train at Luton Airport Parkway announced as
approaching and then standing at Platform 1 with complete synchronicity.
The only problem? The train was actually approaching and then standing at
platform 3.

I've seen this happen quite often there, and sometimes held doors open
for those with luggage who are still struggling down the steps (being
near an airport, this is often the case at this station). I have, of
course, complained to FCC who always say that it's an isolated incident.
However many isolated incidents there are, they don't see any need to
get it fixed (and for all I know, it may be Network Rail's fault, but
they seem to be completely insulated from complaints). Some drivers
are equally obnoxious, sometimes shouting at those who helpfully hold
the doors open.

All you can do, as far as I know, is complain to the train company, and
when you don't get a sensible answer (as you won't) take it up with
London Travelwatch (or the appropriate consumer body). They won't do
anything useful either, but if enough people did the same, eventually
someone might get the message. It must cost the train companies a
small amount to answer every complaint, and I'm sure they monitor that,
so they have a very tiny incentive to fix things that are easy to fix.
This ought to be easy for them to fix, they just have to pass the buck
to Network Rail, after all.

--
Clive Page