Old October 3rd 12, 11:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Another Suicide at Hayes & Harlington

Last Friday week there was a suicide - 'person hit by a train' - at
West Drayton on the FGW main line.

Now there has been yet another suicide at H&H on Sunday night at about
21.50.

Speaking of the 4'th suicide in as many months, John McDonnell MP H&H
stated "We need to get everyone around table and examine all possible
measures we can take to stop this from happening, because it has got
to a point where we can't just stand back."

Yet John has been trying and failing to get FGW and Network Rail
management to such a meeting for over a year. BOTH ORGS ARE DRAGGING
THEIR FEET ON THE ISSUE.

FGW management is not interested due to likely not renewing its
franchise next year. Network Rail management is just arrogant and
refuses to attend any meeting to do with any issues on this line
whatever they are.

Of course Crossrail is in the wings - so they should be concerned
too.

The suicides are partly cultural - Google 'community southall
suicides' - there's a damning report about this focusing on the
failure of arranged marriages between Western highly-educated women
and their appointed partners who usually come from rural backwaters in
Asia. Inevitably it is the women that sadly decide suicide - sometimes
with the kids in tow.

Yet they are also partly due to the economic climate - job losses,
unemployment, feelings of being unable to cope, financial cut-backs of
support agencies, etc.

All that there is at Hayes & Harlington Station are a few grubby
Samaritan posters. These are not even written in the local Asian
languages - but only in English.

Cash-strapped Hillingdon Council offered to pay for extended CCTV at
the Station, but Network Rail did not even bother to acknowledge the
offer. The money has likely been reallocated.

But then there is no use for CCTV is no-one bothers to monitor it in
real time. The staff at H&H seem to prefer sitting in their cozy staff
room. Some of the suicides have been from the normally gated and
locked platform 1 (down fast). So what where the staff doing when
unauthorised individuals have gained access to platform 1? Obviously
nothing.

I fear that this issue will not be easily solved.

CJB.

Old October 3rd 12, 12:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message
Last Friday week there was a suicide - 'person hit by a train' - at
West Drayton on the FGW main line.

Now there has been yet another suicide at H&H on Sunday night at about
21.50.

Speaking of the 4'th suicide in as many months, John McDonnell MP H&H
stated "We need to get everyone around table and examine all possible
measures we can take to stop this from happening, because it has got
to a point where we can't just stand back."

I suppose we can rule out "living in Hayes and Harlington" as a possible
cause?

--
Brian

Old October 3rd 12, 01:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2012\10\03 13:43, Brian Watson wrote:

I suppose we can rule out "living in Hayes and Harlington" as a possible
cause?

While many people have two homes, even an MP wouldn't live in both Hayes
and Harlington.

Old October 3rd 12, 01:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Brian Watson
writes
"CJB" wrote in message
Last Friday week there was a suicide - 'person hit by a train' - at
West Drayton on the FGW main line.
Now there has been yet another suicide at H&H on Sunday night at about
21.50.
Speaking of the 4'th suicide in as many months, John McDonnell MP H&H
stated "We need to get everyone around table and examine all possible
measures we can take to stop this from happening, because it has got
to a point where we can't just stand back."

I suppose we can rule out "living in Hayes and Harlington" as a possible
cause?

There was a TV programme on this only a few months ago and I seem to
remember the main reason given was that educated women were being
brought over by their families for an arranged marriage with an out of
work uneducated layabout husband which caused friction, when the "man"
of the family is the head but the woman in the only one with any brains.
Distress in the woman being the cause who can't see any other way out of
a bad situation.
--
Clive
Old October 3rd 12, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
In message , Brian Watson
writes
"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed. They have no local support network, and probably know no-one
outside the family. They've probably never heard of the Samaritans, and
couldn't return to their family back home as that would lose too much face.

Old October 3rd 12, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message

, at 09:43:39 on Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Recliner

remarked:
There was a TV programme on this only a few months ago and I seem to
remember the main reason given was that educated women were being brought
over by their families for an arranged marriage with an out of work
uneducated layabout husband which caused friction, when the "man" of the
family is the head but the woman in the only one with any brains.
Distress in the woman being the cause who can't see any other way out of a bad situation.

Indeed. They have no local support network, and probably know no-one
outside the family. They've probably never heard of the Samaritans, and
couldn't return to their family back home as that would lose too much face.

And they probably have no access to funds or passports either.
Old October 3rd 12, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:55:21 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message

, at 09:43:39 on Wed, 3 Oct 2012, Recliner

remarked:
There was a TV programme on this only a few months ago and I seem to
remember the main reason given was that educated women were being brought
over by their families for an arranged marriage with an out of work
uneducated layabout husband which caused friction, when the "man" of the
family is the head but the woman in the only one with any brains.
Distress in the woman being the cause who can't see any other way out of a

bad situation.

Indeed. They have no local support network, and probably know no-one
outside the family. They've probably never heard of the Samaritans, and
couldn't return to their family back home as that would lose too much face.

And they probably have no access to funds or passports either.

If they're that intelligent they could find out about services that could
help them or even just go to the police.

B2003

Old October 3rd 12, 05:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2012\10\03 12:35, CJB wrote:

All that there is at Hayes & Harlington Station are a few grubby
Samaritan posters. These are not even written in the local Asian
languages - but only in English.

There would be no point in having Samaritan posters in Urdu if there are
no Urdu-speaking volunteers to take a call.

Old October 3rd 12, 08:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 18:09:29 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 2012\10\03 12:35, CJB wrote:

All that there is at Hayes & Harlington Station are a few grubby
Samaritan posters. These are not even written in the local Asian
languages - but only in English.

There would be no point in having Samaritan posters in Urdu if there are
no Urdu-speaking volunteers to take a call.

The Samaritans are not the only organisation involved. The available
posters might depend on various factors such as whether they have been
requested by the railway companies (in which case they might need to
ask a few more people for help) or have been limited by over-selective
provision of free space (if any is actually provided) for such
posters.
Old October 3rd 12, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
On 2012\10\03 12:35, CJB wrote:

All that there is at Hayes & Harlington Station are a few grubby
Samaritan posters. These are not even written in the local Asian
languages - but only in English.

There would be no point in having Samaritan posters in Urdu if there are
no Urdu-speaking volunteers to take a call.

I suppose appealing to so-called "community leaders" to intercede with the
appalling mismatches is out of the question?

--
Brian