Old August 30th 11, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free parking in London

Where is the closest place to central London that you can park on the
street for free all week without needing a permit? Measured to the
forecourt of Charing Cross station in the event of a tie.

I don't want to park a car in London but I've been watching the slow
creep of controlled parking zones and as they join up it can't be long
before the whole of London is covered. I assume zone 1 & 2 are already
covered?

Old August 30th 11, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David Walters
writes

I don't want to park a car in London but I've been watching the slow
creep of controlled parking zones and as they join up it can't be long
before the whole of London is covered. I assume zone 1 & 2 are already
covered?

I don't think that the area between Battersea Park and Nine Elms (and
south towards the Wandsworth Road) is entirely covered by parking zones.
That's about 1.7 miles from Charing X.
--
Paul Terry
Old August 30th 11, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I assume zone 1 & 2 are
already covered?

You assume wrongly. We are in Zone 2 (assuming you mean tube zones) and
as yet uncontrolled. But the controlled zones are lapping at our door,
the council have consulted on adding us, and parking is already
difficult because of the commuters displaced from the controlled zones.
Hence I am of course not going to advertise just where we are for fear
of more moving in. Mind you, you wouldn't want to leave a nice car here
all week ;(
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Old August 30th 11, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote:

In message , David Walters
writes

I don't want to park a car in London but I've been watching the slow
creep of controlled parking zones and as they join up it can't be long
before the whole of London is covered. I assume zone 1 & 2 are already
covered?

I don't think that the area between Battersea Park and Nine Elms (and
south towards the Wandsworth Road) is entirely covered by parking zones.
That's about 1.7 miles from Charing X.

Yes, agreed in terms of the nearest to Charing X - off Nine Elms Lane, e.g.
on Cringle St and Kirtling St, also on Ponton Street (watch out for the
double yellows though). Also south of the (SWML) railway around Stewart's
Road and the Patmore Estate - worth noting however that this can't be
accessed from Nine Elms Lane/ Battersea Park Road by car (e.g. Thessaly Rd
is blocked off at the north end), so you'd have to come at it from
Wandsworth Road. Also worth noting that Wandsworth Road itself and just to
the north of it is in LB Lambeth (not LB Wandsworth), and they do have a CPZ
here, so anyone doing this would need to watch out for that and make sure
they parked on the correct side of the Borough boundary.

I think these spots are popular though with those who work at places on or
just off Nine Elms Lane, e.g. at the New Covent Garden Market and the large
Royal Mail centre, especially given the shifts that people will be working.

There are a number of other places in zone 2 not covered by CPZs - I'll post
something more a bit later.