Old January 7th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default My Oystercard works!

Are these special short hop fare rules published anywhere?

Only on the fare charts for the stations concerned.

Had a quick look today, and the fare on the chart says £2.

Bizarre.....

Old January 8th 04, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"J. Public" wrote in message
Are these special short hop fare rules published anywhere?

Only on the fare charts for the stations concerned.

Had a quick look today, and the fare on the chart says £2.

But of course, the fare chart would show the 2004 price, not the 2003 one!

Old January 10th 04, 03:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 08:42:45 +0000, Luke Ross
wrote:

james007 wrote:
Except it seems that it didn't charge me the correct fare in the 2004
fare guide for a DLR journey I made yesterday (charged £2.00 instead of
£1.80). I only glanced at the reader, so I'd be interested to see a
journey and charged fare list to confirm this.

I went from Fulham Broadway (Zone 2) to Old Street (Zone 1) yesterday
intending to change from the District to the Northern at
Bank/Monument. However the passageway was closed and there are signs
directing everyone to make this connection at street level.

I am quite disturbed that I was charged £2.00 for the Fulham -
Bank/Monument district line bit and a further £1.60 for the
Bank/Monument to Old Street bit, it's hardly my fault that the subway
or escalators or whatever are being rebuilt and it is necessary to
leave and reenter the station because of this work. I did not stop
anywhere between the two platforms, I went directly from one to the
other via the signposted route.

The station staff at Old Street had no idea how to fix it. I shall
have to call the Oystercard helpline I guess.

Old January 10th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Pat Duffy typed

I went from Fulham Broadway (Zone 2) to Old Street (Zone 1) yesterday
intending to change from the District to the Northern at
Bank/Monument. However the passageway was closed and there are signs
directing everyone to make this connection at street level.

I am quite disturbed that I was charged £2.00 for the Fulham -
Bank/Monument district line bit and a further £1.60 for the
Bank/Monument to Old Street bit, it's hardly my fault that the subway
or escalators or whatever are being rebuilt and it is necessary to
leave and reenter the station because of this work. I did not stop
anywhere between the two platforms, I went directly from one to the
other via the signposted route.

The station staff at Old Street had no idea how to fix it. I shall
have to call the Oystercard helpline I guess.

I find this tale rather worrying. I envisage cases when a passenger is
too rushed to check what he has been charged and may not have the time
to rectify matters later.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 12th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:46:06 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Pat Duffy typed

[...]

This Sucks! Phoning the Oystercard helpline, they say that they are
unable to resolve this sort of problem (they also think Old St is a
National Rail Station and has no tube service) and it has to be fixed
by tube station staff. So I talked to them at Fulham Broadway today
and they say the Oystercard helpline has to fix it!

What next?

Old January 12th 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Pat Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:46:06 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Pat Duffy typed

[...]

I should add that the closed passageways at Bank and Monument are not
a figment of my imagination, it is logged at
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/nexus/ :

"BANK AND MONUMENT STATIONS: Restricted interchange between the
Circle/District Lines and the Northern Line until March 2004."

Old January 12th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Pat Duffy wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Pat Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:46:06 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Pat Duffy typed

I went from Fulham Broadway (Zone 2) to Old Street (Zone 1)
yesterday intending to change from the District to the Northern at
Bank/Monument. However the passageway was closed and there are
signs directing everyone to make this connection at street level.

Is that right? I thought people were being directed down the escalators to
the DLR and then up the stairs to the Northern Line. The only connection
that is closed is the escalator shaft to the Northern Line, which was
always signed only for that purpose from the District Line platforms.
--
Richard J.

Old January 12th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:40:04 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Pat Duffy wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Pat Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:46:06 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Pat Duffy typed

I went from Fulham Broadway (Zone 2) to Old Street (Zone 1)
yesterday intending to change from the District to the Northern at
Bank/Monument. However the passageway was closed and there are
signs directing everyone to make this connection at street level.

Is that right? I thought people were being directed down the escalators to
the DLR and then up the stairs to the Northern Line. The only connection
that is closed is the escalator shaft to the Northern Line, which was
always signed only for that purpose from the District Line platforms.

Well maybe it was just a special weekend with extra work going on, but
on Friday evening, the exits at the ends of the district platforms
were closed, regular signs covered up, and temporary signs and staff
directing people upstairs, out the barriers, to the street. Then there
were signs along the street on the lampposts and so on. So it was not
a diversion they'd just thought of ten minutes earlier. It was
planned.

Old January 12th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Pat Duffy wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Pat Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:46:06 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Pat Duffy typed

[...]

Yep - along the road outside was the route I had to go, on a weekday
evening in December.
Old January 13th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Pat Duffy wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Pat Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:46:06 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Pat Duffy typed

I went from Fulham Broadway (Zone 2) to Old Street (Zone 1)
yesterday intending to change from the District to the Northern at
Bank/Monument. However the passageway was closed and there are
signs directing everyone to make this connection at street level.

Is that right? I thought people were being directed down the escalators

the DLR and then up the stairs to the Northern Line. The only connection
that is closed is the escalator shaft to the Northern Line [from the

Circle/District platforms]

That's right. However posters at the station say that the stairs between the
Northern line and the DLR are one-way only in the morning peak; downwards.
This allows passengers to arrive on a Northern Line train, take the stairs
down to the DLR, walk along a long passageway and then go up the escalators
(then some stairs) to Monument. The posters ask passengers wanting to make
the opposite journey to walk along King William Street to Bank Station.
There are stickers on all the ticket gates at Monument saying "no access to
Northern Line".

Those who know the layout of Bank/Monument will know that there is a third
underground route from Monument to the Northern Line, which remains open at
all times. It's a bit difficult to describe, but here it is: From Monument,
follows the signs down to the DLR. When you get down to the DLR level you
will walk past the bottom of some stairs back up to the Northern Line (the
ones mentioned above). If there is a member of staff preventing you using
these stairs then do as he suggests and continue along the main passageway
and up the escalators towards the Bank Exit. After a long walk you will see
signs which take you back *down* to the Northern Line, bringing you onto the
platforms at the Bank end. Quite a long way but probably better when it's
raining! London Underground probably don't advertise this at Monument
because it might cause congestion.

Bank/Monument is a complicated and confusing station, complicated further by
the fact that at weekends the Lombard Street ticket hall at Bank Station
(which is the nearest one to Monument) is closed, with some passageways
closed as a result.

PaulO